Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chirpy little fellows

• 17-01-2007 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Am I the only person who can't listen to RTE radio any more? It's full of maddeningly chirpy little fellows like Ryan Tubridy et al.

The horrible chirpiness has infected even formerly seriousish broadcasters such as Pat Kenny and Derek Mooney.

I find myself listening to BBC Radio 4 or to Lyric (when it's not chirpy too). Newstalk started out as news radio, but it's now moving from chirpoid to full-on chirpy.

Why on earth can we not have a proper talk radio station without chirpage? Is it too much to ask that we have intelligent men and women talking about important subjects without this patronising grinning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

luckat wrote:
    Am I the only person who can't listen to RTE radio any more? It's full of maddeningly chirpy little fellows like Ryan Tubridy et al.

The horrible chirpiness has infected even formerly seriousish broadcasters such as Pat Kenny and Derek Mooney.

I find myself listening to BBC Radio 4 or to Lyric (when it's not chirpy too). Newstalk started out as news radio, but it's now moving from chirpoid to full-on chirpy.

Why on earth can we not have a proper talk radio station without chirpage? Is it too much to ask that we have intelligent men and women talking about important subjects without this patronising grinning?

Derek Mooney...a serious broadcaster? I really cannot see what he has to offer, should have stayed on Mooney Goes Wild, suits his bird brain.Gerry Ryan, however, is worse, really fed up with him and his penchant for womens menstrual cycles et al. And if he says CHICARGO instead of Chicago one more time....Also a lot of his so called informed opinions are simply wrong so much of the time. Time for him to go. However, Ryan Tubridy is quite good on the radio show, relaxed ,witty and fairly clued in. As a country dweller, it is good to have Newstalk now available as an alternative. I do most of my radio listening on the morning and evening car journeys to and from work, and prefer talk radio to music stations. iIfind Orla barry quite refreshing, pity some of her stuff is a bit bimbo orientated , but i suppose thats the audience they try to attract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have to agree to a degree - hey! (sorry that was a bit chirpy), there is no question that down the years emphisis has been put on, well emphisis and little brother of that is "Chirpy".

Radio 4 is proberly the last station on the planet which moves at its own innate pace. News and current presenters have to 'become' BBC R4. Its whats expected of course, if Edward Stourton started cracking jokes about co-presenters taste in ties or regaled us with the price of last nights take-out supper there would be hell to pay. Rightly.

On other stations such tiresome banter is almost de-rigeur as it apparently makes radio more accessable or somesuch crap.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yea have to agree with comments made.

What really gets on my goat is Mooney and hes "Ya wanna hear more" Ahhh! just stop it please. Wile I'm here, it's not your money that your giving away so please stop saying it... License fee going where?...

Hate to think of this but Pat (wooden as he is) is almost normal on there now.

(have to listen to this in work so can't change the station:( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Mooney, as a previous poster said ,should never have left the Wildlife Prog.

I'm normally a calm lad but that programme he does now gets up my snout bigtime.

1.. Why does his voice inflect upwards so much to a falsetto most of the time?

2.. Why does that most unfunny person Brenda Doonahue(as he calls her)keep goin on with that cringeworthy talboidy craap from some shopping centre in Bogsville?

3.. Where did this geezer Paul Gee or whatever his name is spring from,or did anyone ever hear of him before this??

4.. Why has gardiner Dermot O'Neill suddenly got such a big role in the show??

The whole thing is a disaster 1550-1700 and what comes after it is a disaster too.

RTE tried to fix something that wasn't broken and make a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Most important show of the day on radio... Breakfast. Morning Ireland is obviously bullet proof with over 35's. But after that since they shafted Marian, ratings have fallen rapidly and with that revenue. Sooooo they bring 2fm back in line (to serve 15-34's) and cover the fact that Tubridy has been a disaster and its having knock-on effect throughout the rest of the days ratings and shows. Until the big wigs at RTE 1 realise that Tubridy is not Prime time material for over 35's, I'm afraid its going to be a continuing trend at RTE 1 with the loss of listeners. IMO I believe they shafted Marty to cover this fact.

• Advertisement

The radio presenter/Singer Maxi has to the unbearibly chirpiest presenter about, and at that unearthly time in the moening such cheerfullness is almost inhuman. But when she interacts by flirting with the sports presenters she becomes obnoxious, due primarily to her really dirty "common" laugh.
    But now she has been replaced( on a temporary basis?) by another really dreary presenter who I heard for the first time this morning.A really woeful choice of music.

I heard her interaction with the AA traffic guy - painful.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Carol Moran. Maxi back next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Dear God no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Tubridy seems pretty awful lately.

Pat Kenny seems to have his moments.

imho they should do away with Tubridy and extend Morning Ireland - perhaps have the extra hour in a style that is a cross between Morning Ireland and Mary Wilson's Drivetime.

This would compete better with Newstalk and also I think this would be a better lead-in to Pat Kenny.

Younger audiences are spoilt for choice with Gerry Ryan, Ray D'arcy and the smaller stations. Mostly they seem to talk drivel, apart from the odd occasion like D'arcy's look into Eircom customer service.

• Advertisement

Don't like the sound of that! The 9-10 slot is a tricky one, but (and someone might back me up on this) is'nt it dead in the water with Ronan Collins slot being scrapped and Tubridy gets two hours and Kenny two hours?

Mike.

Awful lot of talk there Mike...don't think that would work.

However Ronans hour in slightly incongrous in the RTE 1 schedule at the moment.

His golf handicap could be about to come down!!;)

RTE could go crazy and start commissioning some daytime drama or maybe (and this is a much better idea) a few quiz show/panel games - you' know the stuff that BBC is famous for. An Irish "I'm Sorry I have A Clue" or News Quiz or Now Show would be great if it was resourced proberly.

Mike.

How much longer will Mary Wilson survice? Days are numbered , I fear. She was an ok court reporter onTV , but her drivetime(?) programme lacks any kind of appeal. However George Hook is so refreshing in comparison. Ryan Tubridy is now becoming predictable; he will always comment on "unusual" first names and always shows distain for the working class names ( the Darrens, Waynes, Duanes,Jasons of this world and their girlfriends Shirley, Debbie, Rachel, but then again he is probably right to do so...just note the names of the people up before the courts these days) He is a bit too cocky about his middle class background...treating his background almost as if it was aristocratic, whereas he is ,in reality, a grandson of that ould dub Todd Andrews...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

And what were they thinking of letting Derek Moony cover Cheltenham.

The fuppin eejit put a fiver charity bet on a 500-1 nag! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

RTE could save a lot of money on guests by simply not bringing them into the studio - it's not like we get to hear them anyway.

Derek Mooney: "we have with us today, Mr BlahDeBlah, Debt expert, who is going to tell us how to manage our money. So, whats the biggest problem people have with money?"

Guest: "Well Derek I "

DM: "Because let me tell you, theres a lot of people out there who are having money problems"

Guest: "indeed there are and"

DM: "I suppose it's the Celtic tiger isn't it? We all want to keep up with the Joneses"

Guest "Theres an element of truth in "

DM "So I suppose the advice is, be more careful. Thanks very much, Mr BlahdeBlah"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Cackle, cackle, cackle.....

Echelle wrote:
    Ryan Tubridy is now becoming predictable; he will always comment on "unusual" first names and always shows distain for the working class names ( the Darrens, Waynes, Duanes,Jasons of this world and their girlfriends Shirley, Debbie, Rachel, but then again he is probably right to do so...just note the names of the people up before the courts these days) He is a bit too cocky about his middle class background...treating his background almost as if it was aristocratic, whereas he is ,in reality, a grandson of that ould dub Todd Andrews...

Uhmmm .. whats wrong with that??

Should he dumb down just to please the skangers,who are tuned into FM 104 anyway.

Advertisement