Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a thought on G. Ryan and the new strawberry alarm clock on 2fm...

• 17-01-2007 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Is anyone else looking forward to seeing what happens if the 2fm Strawberry Alarm clock picks up listeners and Gerry Ryan continues to lose them. I'd imagine that the Strawberry guys didn't come cheap, and I'd say, even more importantly than that, they have clauses in their contract guaranteeing them a tidy sum if the show gets canned in the next knee jerk round of 2fm reshuffling...

Gerry wanted Rick and Ruth gone because he thought they were losing listeners. Gerry wanted Marty brought in to stop that. Now he turns around and says Marty is losing him listeners and he wants him out. The guy has lost a staggering amount of listeners in the last two or three years, and yet, he has retained the same production staff and is effectively presenting the same program with virtually no changes. The same tired old contributors are rolled out week in week out, be it Fiona Looney or John Brennan. To me, it smacks of laziness, and Gerry sounds bored - his former listeners certainly seem to be.

i wonder were newstalk really interested in signing Gerry ryan up for the station or were they just stirring things in RTE? i'm not entirely convinced they would have wanted him. he'd throw the whole talent salary scale in newstalk, which would mean hook would have to get a pay rise, which would mean even more losses for newstalk. also, I'd imagine ryan would have wanted to bring his own production team with him, which would have meant even more expense for Denis O'Brien...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This was a tactic that was employed by Huw Edwards to originally get the 6pm BBC 1 News anchor gig, and again for the 10pm when it became vacant.

It was alleged that he was seen out to lunch with producers from ITN (ITV News) around about the same time that ITV News was being revamped in the evening, and so aghast BBC management were when one of their own did this, he was snaffled for the gig.

It wouldn't surprise me that Ryan, or people close to Ryan are making noises that Newstalk are talking to him, or is seen with Denis O'Brien etc, just to make the point to RTÉ and to improve his salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The only one to blame for loosing listeners to Ryan's show is Ryan himself and the jaded format he presides over.
    I used to enjoy Gerry way way back in the mists of time (v. early 90's) but I grew to loathe him, his show and the idiots he'd have on as contributors...
    Okay so I'm only one punter and he does have a lot of listeners, but I think the national "youth" station ceased to be the place where he belonged some time around the turn of the millenium....I dunno if RTÉ radio 1 is the right place for him either (I think a move like that might piss off a lot of regular RTÉ1 listners) but something neds to be done....maybe a move to the likes of newstalk mightn't be a bad thing (unless you like newstalk :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Wertz wrote:
    The only one to blame for loosing listeners to Ryan's show is Ryan himself and the jaded format he presides over.
    I used to enjoy Gerry way way back in the mists of time (v. early 90's) but I grew to loathe him, his show and the idiots he'd have on as contributors...
    Okay so I'm only one punter and he does have a lot of listeners, but I think the national "youth" station ceased to be the place where he belonged some time around the turn of the millenium....I dunno if RTÉ radio 1 is the right place for him either (I think a move like that might piss off a lot of regular RTÉ1 listners) but something neds to be done....maybe a move to the likes of newstalk mightn't be a bad thing (unless you like newstalk :p)

Might I suggest a move to South East Radio. As somebody who lives in the West of Ireland, it would be very rare I'd have to listen to him, and that'd suit me grand. Oh, and it probably mean less of him on the telly as well...

Advertisement