Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill info please

Options
  • 17-01-2007 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Can any one recommend a hammer action drill for using on tiles?

What are the key points to look for in a drill?

Would it be better to get a corded or cordless?

Any help would be great. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Not sure about tiles?

Anyway, generally speaking, for multi-tasking, an 18V multi-speed Hammer action cordless drill is your best bet.

What I would say is that it's worth spending a bit of money on a good drill that will last you years but if you buy a good drill, you should also buy good drill bits!

I recently bought a Black and Decker 18V Hammer action cordless that came with two batteries and charger. The battery charges up in one hour and so far it's been very good...then again I've only used it on lighter tasks so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Any hammer action drill will work on tiles.

Type depends on use. Is it just for a small bit of DIY or is it for professional use? If its for very light DIY work which only happens occasionally, I would go for a cheap Black and Decker or something like that.

Cordless vs Corded depends on preference. Personally I prefer corded, the inconvenience of having to deal with the power lead is outweighed by the extra power, not having to deal with charging batteries or dead batteries when you haven't used it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

You shouldn't need a hammer drill for tiles - depends on how thick the tile is, I suppose. But if you're drilling, say, ordinary bathroom tiles a regular drill will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

when drilling use masking tape where you are drilling as it stops the drill bit roaming!!

Regards

Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

More than the drill, the bit is important when drilling tiles. Get a good quality bit and you are on the pigs back. I wouldn't use hammer action either but you might get away with it. Why risk cracking the tile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Just to be clear, I'm recommending the OP buy a hammer action drill as this drill can be used as a good all-rounder, not that s/he use the hammer action on the tiles while s/he drills...as I said I know nothing about drilling into tiles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

r3nu4l wrote:
    I'm recommending the OP buy a hammer action drill as this drill can be used as a good all-rounder

True - most hammer action drills will allow you to switch off the hammer mode when you don't need it, so it's a good "2-in1" investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I always use the hammer action (albeit with very light pressure against the tile) while drilling through the tile and then once through, full throttle to drill the wall behind. You'll be a long time drilling through masonry without a hammeraction drill. BTW, I have never, ever cracked a tile.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Don't use hammer action on drill unless u want to crack them all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I think I'll get the corded drill as it seams to have the best power/cost ratio, the powerful cordless ones cost quite a bit!

I'm just using it for light DIY putting in a shower door putting up shelves towel rails etc.

What rough price would expect to pay for what I want? Quality is more important than price but there seams to be any amount you can spend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

[QUOTE=bretttp1

What rough price would expect to pay for what I want? Quality is more important than price but there seams to be any amount you can spend![/QUOTE]
    Thats true one of my Hilti drills cost me just under a grand.But in all fairness a drill is something every house should have and is worth spending a few quid on.Firstly stay away from Black and Decker they are nothing but toys.If you are willing to spend around 200 euro you should maybe look at getting a cheep Makita or Dewalt drill.If you are in Dublin Mcquillins on Capel st and Blanchardstown have a vast selection.The only problem their selection of 240v drills might be poor.Ryobi is a cheaper alternative and they actually make half decent stuff and as far as I know Argus stock them.Dont use hammer action on tiles also pick up a tile bit from any builders merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

aaronm13 wrote:
    Thats true one of my Hilti drills cost me just under a grand.But in all fairness a drill is something every house should have and is worth spending a few quid on.Firstly stay away from Black and Decker they are nothing but toys.If you are willing to spend around 200 euro you should maybe look at getting a cheep Makita or Dewalt drill.If you are in Dublin Mcquillins on Capel st and Blanchardstown have a vast selection.The only problem their selection of 240v drills might be poor.Ryobi is a cheaper alternative and they actually make half decent stuff and as far as I know Argus stock them.Dont use hammer action on tiles also pick up a tile bit from any builders merchants.

I second that - I got a Makita last year, very stable, good percussion action.

And ditto on using hammer action on tiles. Gormless here did it a couple of years ago in our bathroom, smashed the tile to bits.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 harto

Last year, I got myself setup with a Ryobi special offer set, 18v Cordless drill, Skillsaw, torch and 200+ piece bits and heads set for 320 ... well happy with the kit and it's getting plenty of action now on my own build project ... have had it drilling 16mm wood borers through 2 and 3 layers of 2" of the timberframe.

As an aside I hope to have my Blog up and running soon.
    AndyH

http://www.helpmebuildandrenovate.com

Advertisement