Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW or Lexus IS

Options
  • 17-01-2007 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi all, I will be looking at buying a new car (not brand new obviously) over the next few months and I'm trying to make a decision between the BMW 318i or the Lexus IS - just looking for some opinions on either car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If it's only the 318i you're looking at in the range, I think I'd probably go Lexus (4 pot v straight 6). However, if it was a 318is, that may be a bit different (about 30bhp different)!

At the end of the day, I'd be looking at spec levels too. In the BMW, is it an e36 or e46 (before or after 1999)? What's the budget?

BTW, isn't the smallest Lexus IS200 a 2.0? If so, why wouldn't you consider a 320 (straight 6)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Fey! wrote:
    If it's only the 318i you're looking at in the range, I think I'd probably go Lexus (4 pot v straight 6). However, if it was a 318is, that may be a bit different (about 30bhp different)!

At the end of the day, I'd be looking at spec levels too. In the BMW, is it an e36 or e46 (before or after 1999)? What's the budget?

BTW, isn't the smallest Lexus IS200 a 2.0? If so, why wouldn't you consider a 320 (straight 6)?

The current 320 is not a straight six, the 325 upwards is though. However the 320 is a fine 4 cyclinder next the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I'd still take the BMW over the Lexus, which IMO has a hideous looking interior and it feels cheap !

The engine is nice but for a 150BHP motor it feels very lazy !

BMW all the way, though I believe you can find excellent value with used Saabs nowdays, if ytou wanted and "outside the box" alternative !

Advertisement