Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Backup & Restore

• 17-01-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a way that they have previously used themselves for backing up and restoring windows? I have been asked to fix my uncles PC but it really needs to be wiped and I was wondering if there is some way of backing up all the settings and stuff etc so that I dont have to spend days re-installing stuff?

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

PDD wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a way that they have previously used themselves for backing up and restoring windows? I have been asked to fix my uncles PC but it really needs to be wiped and I was wondering if there is some way of backing up all the settings and stuff etc so that I dont have to spend days re-installing stuff?

PDD

Depends what you want to back up.

If it's XP you could try the transder files and settings tool.

Wipe it.

Reinstall.

Install drivers and applications.

Ghost it on to a dvd.

So the next time he asks just ghost back from the DVD.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the downside is that if a problem was caused by an inheritable setting then there you would only inherit the problem :(

as ^^ says the transfer wizard aren't bad

there was something about a setup file in the config folder too IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the feedback, much apperciated. I didnt know that file transfer and settings tool was useful. Im guessing that it doesnt also move installed applications - I mean that would be way too functional for MS.

PDD

Advertisement