Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Odd one, speeding ticket in Oz

Options
  • 17-01-2007 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Ok This is a strange one but I said I would check here, girlfriend is over in Oz, rented out a car when her mate was over and they have just received a ticket in post. She says it could be up to $300 but she hasn't a clue if her or the friend was driving. Was wondering what would happen if she didnt pay it? could they track her back to Ireland? she has already moved addresses in Sdyney and is off soon on the road down to meet me in Adalaide.

if we stay out of trouble when driving(this car is bought and not rented) will she have any problems when she leaves in April to travel to NZ? I know its a bit of a what if but I said I would ask has anyone been in this situation!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I had the same dilemma in NZ during the summer. As far as I know its grand leaving the country but you will have trouble re-entering unless the fine is paid. I just paid mine in the end, only 80 NZ$, the equivalent of a parking fine over here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Also is there an australia boards? I think I seen one before but cant find it on google Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Yea a mate of mine ran through a toll without paying in Oz in a rented car, he forgot about it but they traced him through his credit card. Not sure if he paid but you can definitly be traced.

binhead wrote:
    Yea a mate of mine ran through a toll without paying in Oz in a rented car, he forgot about it but they traced him through his credit card. Not sure if he paid but you can definitly be traced.

Yeah I know they can trace you back to ireland but if you dont pay what can they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If she ever wants to return to Australia she should definately pay the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

id say dont worry about it. it happened to a freind of mine when we were in oz and in the states. got a couple of parking tickets and one for being on the phone when driving. once you have left your address or are going on the road it shouldnt be a problem. usless you get pulled over and are givien another ticket in the same state! id imagine that the u.s would be more strict about it so probably best that my mate doesnt go back for a couple of years :)
    shouldnt be a problem but just dont get another ticket in same state. their not gona trace her back to ireland either.

when we sold our car on we told the people who were buying it that there was a couple of parking tickets that were not paid, they didnt seem to be too bothered

mickith wrote:
    when we sold our car on we told the people who were buying it that there was a couple of parking tickets that were not paid, they didnt seem to be too bothered

Wouldnt mind parking tickets, it was a speeding ticket so they traced her back thru her booking and the agency to her old address. Not much they can do from what I can see when she doesnt live there. Was only for a chat and they mentioned she had got a letter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Correct me if im wrong but.............if it is a rented car they have your Credit card details right???

And afaik if you are caught speeding or cause damage to a car, and you don't pay, the Rental company can deduct the money from the credit card

Someone correct me if i am wrong.....:p

Correct me if im wrong but.............if it is a rented car they have your Credit card details right???

And afaik if you are caught speeding or cause damage to a car, and you don't pay, the Rental company can deduct the money from the credit card

Someone correct me if i am wrong.....:p

How can the rental car take money off you for speeding? yes they can if you damage the car but how can they make out they are the cops and take money off you?? the rental company will not be charged if you where speeding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

as i said above.....correct if im wrong.........i just thought that this is why rental companies took the Credit card details, incase any charges came back to them........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

if it was a fixed speed camera rather than a traffic cop, then the ticket would go in the post to the car owner. i.e. the rental company. In that instance I would imagine they would simply charge it to the credit card of whomever was renting the car at that date/time. (Probably you agree to that in the small print of the rental agreement)

if it was a fixed speed camera rather than a traffic cop, then the ticket would go in the post to the car owner. i.e. the rental company. In that instance I would imagine they would simply charge it to the credit card of whomever was renting the car at that date/time. (Probably you agree to that in the small print of the rental agreement)

Bit of research, rental company received the fine, sent it back to the cops with the address of my GF and who was named drivers on car. Charged her credit card 20 dollers just to reply to the letter. Part of small print seemily.

Anyway checked about and she was doing 116Kmph in a 100kmph so below is a list of the fines just for an FYI

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticleAsOnePage.aspx?id=104758

Seemily you can dispute it. Think she will try that saying it was her friend driving or something. her friend is at home now and won't be going back to Oz for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Big Nelly wrote:
    How can the rental car take money off you for speeding? yes they can if you damage the car but how can they make out they are the cops and take money off you?? the rental company will not be charged if you where speeding!!
    Some rental companies either have their own scheme for charging fines (everytime you go over the limit you incur a charge) or simply pay the ticket on your behalf.

Advertisement