Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opendns help contention slowdown?

Options
  • 17-01-2007 12:03pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some of you im sure are tired of my moaning about my problem,apologies for that.
    Ive just changed dns settngs according to www.opendns.com.
    Will this help my problem?

My pings and speeds are perfect when its quiet during the day but i get sub dial up speeds at peak times,its obviously a contention issue.
    Fingers crossed open dns will help.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Nope, sorry dude, contention has nothing to do with your DNS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks m8,didnt think so but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

DNS is purely the time it takes from when you enter an address to when it establishes the connection to the appropriate IP ( ip is what is determined in DNS lookup ) after this its purely down to downstream bandwidth speed, primarily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

JNive wrote:
    DNS is purely the time it takes from when you enter an address to when it establishes the connection to the appropriate IP ( ip is what is determined in DNS lookup ) after this its purely down to downstream bandwidth speed, primarily

If Say BT DNS servers are borked then the lenght of time taken increases . I changed setting on PC to Opendns.com DNS settings and speed returned to 1 mbps,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

A DNS server (domain name service) is used to lookup the ip of a hostname only (or vice versa in some cases), so it will have no impact on your bandwidth speed. The only thing it should speed up (or slow down) is hostname resolves. After which you directly connect to the IP, your DNS server is not used thereafter until you pass another hostname to it.

So if you browse to www.yahoo.ie, you contact the dns server to give you the ip of www.yahoo.ie and it throws you back 217.12.3.11 or whatever and your are infact now connecing directly to that IP. Your DNS server does no more.

The reason why i'd say you are noticing a bandwidth speed increase when using opendns is because probably your pc is riddled with spyware/adware which hammers bandwidth pushing out ads/emails etc.. to others. So when you have set up opendns server, opendns prob have some spam/spyware protection, so any spyware crap on your pc that tries to connect to what ever it connects to, your dns server will resolve any spyware/spam hostname as 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 (local loop) so it wont connect, saving your bandwidth? Make sence? just my thoughts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes Damo's explanation is the only one that I can see as being the cause of all these "miracle fix" connections people are experiencing at the moment. If I were using OpenDNS for the reason that "it makes everything faster" then I would be *very* worried with the state of my PC. You may want to run a few virus scanners and adware removers.

Advertisement