Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ben Thatcher

• 17-01-2007 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

There are some big matches this weekend, but the big question as far as I am concerned, is will Ben Thatcher have the balls to turn out for Charlton when they visit Fratton Park on Saturday?

I have mixed views, I would love to see him there so the fans get the chance to express their feelings towards the guy, but I also fear that some idiot will go overboard and end up getting himself and the club into trouble.

What would you do in his shoes?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Smart thing to do would be to stay at home. Playing the match will just be a huge distraction to Charlton I reckon. This is not going to be the same as the abuse that Beckham or Ronaldo got after their World cups, it was as a result of an attack and it will definately affect him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ah he wont stay at home and nor should he

did roy keane stop playing in derbies after the haaland incident?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It didn't affect Keane though, Thatcher was supposedly distraught after the incident. Plus the fact that Keane didn't have to play City away until nearly a year after the Haaland incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Aye, imagine somebody barged him at speed and knocked him unconscious and ....oh ;)

Seriously though, He should prob sit the game out for the good of the team. Keane had longer to wait than he has and he would want to have balls of steel to avoid letting the players and fans affect his performance.
    but I also fear that some idiot will go overboard and end up getting himself and the club into trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If Pardew had any sense he would leave him at home. Its a tough enough away trip as it is. Picking thatcher will just rile th crowd and get them the atmophere up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

absolutely play him.
    if it effects the opposition then thats good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Play him. Charlton are not in a position to be messing aroung with a potential 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stekelly wrote:
    Play him. Charlton are not in a position to be messing aroung with a potential 3 points.

Sounds to me like the perfect reason not to play Ben Thatcher tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

absolutely play him.
    if it effects the opposition then thats good.

Why is it good for the oppostition ??
    The guy should be locked up, instead of on a football pitch -- Mendes is lucky he can still walk never mind play football -- i hope he enjoys a nice Pompey reception -- he deserves all he gets !

thebaz wrote:
    Why is it good for the oppostition ??

He didn't say its good for the opposition!

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He didn't say its good for the opposition!

ok ,sorry-- its late -- and hes a Super mod -- anyway Thatcher appearance on a football pitch is good for no one in my opinion !

thebaz wrote:
    anyway Thatcher appearance on a football pitch is good for no one in my opinion !

I think I'll agree with you on that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I think he will go but I doubt Pardew will pick him. They will ask why Pardew will say "Tactical decision"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Sounds to me like the perfect reason not to play Ben Thatcher tbh!

I was working on the assupmtion that Pardew has him down as a regular 1st teamer.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/6274379.stm
    "For me Thatcher, does not exist. I believe that is the best way to avoid any further problems," said Mendes.

"There will not be a reaction from me this Saturday, but I do not intend to offer ank kind of embrace either.

"The actions of Thatcher represented my worst experience in the world of football.

Funny that Thatcher didn't clatter into Sol Cambell or Roy Keane , absolute coward doing it to Mendes --

Advertisement