Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is is it still too soon for LCD or Plasma?

• 17-01-2007 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi Everybody,

Now shoot me down if you will but hear me out first.

I currently need to replace my old crt tv and have been researching the facts and figures on flat panel tv's and my head's a mess with all areas that one needs to be aware of before purchasing a modern LCD or Plasma TV.

I am speaking primarily standard definition images here. In order to get a picture comparible to a bog standard crt set, i.e. crisp clear, dark blacks, no motion blur etc, a buyer will still need to fork out circ €2,000 + on a modern set.

It appears that in order to produce images on LCD/Plasma that compare to crt images the newer sets have to be crammed with all sorts of additional technology thus increasing the price, why, who is driving this demand? I don't think it 's consumer led it's industry led and the products are hugely expensive and don't quite cut the mustard at entry or first gen level, and even the very best don't surpass the bes crt's on image quality (although I do conceed that modern sets are primarily designed for HD pictures) go out and buy a standart crt you won't have to worry about the motion blur, artifacing, screen burn etc and at a fraction of the cost.

I can't think of any other situation where a buyer would splash out that amount of money on a product and not have at the very least the best basics in the package, If you delve through the forums you'll find that all but the top end LCD and Plasmas come up short somwhere along the line be that in connectivity, image quality, motion blur, dead cells, screen burn etc.

Where I come from two grand is a lot of money for a tv set hell €1,500 is a lot of money for a tv set and for the picture not to be absolutely top notch and to have to worry about how long will it be before it become obsolete quite possibly within a few short years adds insult to the financial injury, imho.

Not since the introduction of TV/Video has there been a revolution of this size in TV and video, there is a battle royal between LCD or Plasma and Blu Ray and HDDVD being fought right now and will the tv set bought in 2007 be compatible with dvd/pvr's in the next few years and beyond. The day when HD broadcast programmes becomes the norm is still a many years off and by then the technology on contemporary tv sets, will have advanced further still.

In the interim, I'm going to try and get my hands on an HD ready crt, but I'm not holding my breath.

There you go, I've set myself up, fire away any comments appreciated.

Advertisement