Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SONY PS3 Irish RRP €30 dearer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I was going to order one, but if Sony want to try and fleece the Irish public for their console, they can keep it. I've got my Xbox 360 anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

hah

a car comes into ireland more expensive then most other EU states, and people blame the government (tax, etc. force prices up over here, kids!)... a playstation comes in more expensive then any other member states and people blame Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Is the extra €30 not for the environment tax??

Its been widely discussed that the Irish price would be €630.....

Now if its €630 + WEEE then both Sony and the government can stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

There is no €30 WEEE charge for any item. http://www.dublinwaste.ie/weecharges gives a brief summation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

hah

a car comes into ireland more expensive then most other EU states, and people blame the government (tax, etc. force prices up over here, kids!)... a playstation comes in more expensive then any other member states and people blame Sony.

I don't think the government charges VRT on PS3 yet, so no point blaming them.

Especially not when it's a Sony exec who justifies the price hike.

EDIT

Right, let's see. Sony Justification:
    "Ireland is traditionally more expensive than other territories," the spokesperson explained.

"The VAT rate there is 21 per cent, whereas it can be as low as 16 per cent in other EU countries."

Now let's check those VAT rates, shall we:
    EU Member Standard VAT* Reduced VAT*
    Austria 20% 10%
    Belgium 21% 12%
    Bulgaria 20%
    Cyprus 15% 5%
    Czech Republic 19% 5%
    Denmark 25%
    Estonia 18% 0-5%
    Finland 22% 17%
    France 19.6% 5.5%
    Germany 16% 7%
    Greece 18% 8%
    Hungary 25% 12%
    Iceland** 24.5%
    Ireland 21% 10%
    Italy 20% 9%
    Latvia 18% 0-9%
    Lithuania 18% 5-9%
    Luxembourg 15% 6%
    Malta 18%
    Netherlands 19% 6%
    Norway** 24%
    Poland 22% 7%
    Portugal 19% 4-5%
    Romania 19%
    Slovakia 19% 10%
    Slovenia 20% 8.5%
    Spain 16% 7%
    Sweden 25% 12%
    Switzerland** 7.5% 2%
    United Kingdom 17.5% 0-5%

source

I'm not seeing Ireland as having a particularly outrageous VAT rate compared to the rest of the EU here. Anyone else? Have I missed something?

ha indeed :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Maybe it's not a WEEE tax but a Wii tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

The UK price is equivalent to just under EUR 647, which is likely to elicit complaints about "rip-off Britain" as Sony has confirmed that the 60GB PS3 will cost EUR 599 in most other European territories. The price for Ireland, however, has been set at EUR 629.99, apparently due to a higher VAT rate.

We are not even the worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

j4vier wrote:
    The UK price is equivalent to just under EUR 647, which is likely to elicit complaints about "rip-off Britain" as Sony has confirmed that the 60GB PS3 will cost EUR 599 in most other European territories.

Don't forget that UK uses GBP, which is a strong currency and fluctuates. Same as USD, which is not-as-strong and also fluctuates. So whereas it's €649 today, it could well be €619 or €679 tomorrow.
    j4vier wrote:
    We are not even the worse

No wonder Rip-Off Ireland has had such a good run, with such an outlook ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

righto thats that , have always stuck to Playstation consoles and nothing else but my arse am I accepting that , im no longer waiting nor willing to pay off to buy an Xbox I go

Advertisement