Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"System" file missing

• 17-01-2007 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

My lappie is running XP Home Edition and it won't start Windows at the moment: it tells me "Windows could not start because the following file is either missing or corrupted: C:\Windows\sysytem32\config\system"
    It tells me to install the Windows installation cd and and choose "repair".
    I have done this, but with an XP Pro disc (I have the Home Edition but I can't get it until the weekend).
    However it won't boot this disc at all from me. It just gets as far as "setup is checking your hardware configuration.." and then just goes back to the startup screen again.
    Is this because I am using the Pro disc instead of the Home one? One would imagine it wouldn't make much difference.
    Also, is it possible to take this "system" file from another machine and copy it onto the lappie?
    I have an IDE cable that allows me to connect the laptop hard drive to the m'board of a pc from where it appears under My Computer as an ordinary hard drive. I can drag files onto it from there.
    I was thinking I could copy this "system" file from another machine (I know it can't be copied while the machine is running but I can get around that).
    Or is this file only created at startup? Or does this file only work on the machine it was created on and not another?
    A lot of questions there, sorry. I just don't want to have to format the lappie even though I have everything backed up.
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It is unusual the XP Pro CD would restart like that as it should under normal conditions proceed to the setup screen.

That & the missing files out of the blue 'could' indicate bad RAM perhaps, I would test with Memtest+ and leave it run for a few hours just in case.

There are two solutions outlined here and here for restoring the missing folder.

The repair option for installing XP should do it as well or try running sfc /scannow from the recovery console instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭lukin

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on. But if it doesn't boot that XP home disc I am screwed!

Edit: Tried that Memtest app and the RAM is OK thank God.

Advertisement