Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Dempsey on LastWord this evening @6pm - Send in feedback

Options
  • 17-01-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Noel Dempsey, Minister for [strike]Dialup[/strike] Communications will be on the Last Word this evening on TodayFM around 6pm. As usual with a Minister, no opposition will be on but Matt Cooper will be asking some questions. I'd suggest that you tune in and text in and email in questions.

If you want to make a comment then email: lastword@todayfm.com or text in using the shortcode: 53102 (Normal text rates apply)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Email sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

a rather pleasent sent... (well i want them to read it out sure but i got my point across)

boy matt cooper you tell him, though demphsy is being preety realistic he aint pulling out as many crap figures as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

He's letting Dempsey talk complete crap. I see Next Generation Networks are Dempsey's latest buzzword. No 3G no? Awww.

ya i'd of loved to of seen someone else there, like someone from BT clearly they arent doing enough, and i live in a town of well over 1500 (easily over 3000 within 3km) yet no broadband in the slighest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 fdiddy

will the government ever realise that all business is going through the internet and will continue that way in the future and if ireland doesnt cop onm it will lose out on money for the economy,and we will be trying to catch up like in the 80s!all they have to do it pump loads of money and the broadband problem will be sorted once and for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 fdiddy

what matt cooper should have done is bring in a guest that doesnt have access to broadband and let him/her to ask real questions to dempsey!dempsey is a typical politician,talking through his hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Money alone won't solve it. Very little money is actually needed(= one town bypass). It's a bit more complicted to fix which is no doubt why Government seems to not understand the problem never mind solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hmmm, I missed the show last night. Tried the podcast but they only have the first hour. Is this normal for TodayFM or will the second half normally be put up later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You can get it in the archives. I found the podcasting to be crap and the archives to be good on todayfm.com.

I don't know why I'm downloading it given it just going to annoy me and take 15 minutes to download on dialup anyway. Goooo Noel Dempsey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

brim4brim wrote:
    You can get it in the archives. I found the podcasting to be crap and the archives to be good on todayfm.com.

I don't know why I'm downloading it given it just going to annoy me and take 15 minutes to download on dialup anyway. Goooo Noel Dempsey.
    Well, apparently brim, he says you don't need to worry because you have loads of options for broadband and to stop e-mailing him to say you can't get it. Oh, and Comreg is doing a wonderful job in going after the incumbent.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Can't believe he has started to waffle about Next Gen networks. I had to laugh when at the end of the waffle Matt read out a text from a user who had been waiting months for a phone line, let alone broadband. He also said we had (one of) the cheapest broadband in Europe - who feeds him this stuff?

I'd say there's some civil servant somewhere

Minister: I'm getting so many goddamn complaints about broadband, what are we going to do about it?
    Civil servant: I haven't a clue about DSL and all that, my previous posting was fisheries. Let's talk about all the great things we could provide in the future. Convergence, I hear thats a good buzzword. Next gen networks.
    Minister: When will they be available?
    Civil servant: 2016
    Minister: And when can people reasonably accuse me of incompetence in not providing it?
    Civil servant: 2018
    Minister: Let's ring Matt Cooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I had to laugh (and text in) when he started on about how it was rural areas that needed to be covered.....I'm inside Limerick City and if it weren't for Smart's 7km coverage I'd still be waiting for this page to load on dial-up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

hmmm wrote:
    Can't believe he has started to waffle about Next Gen networks. I had to laugh when at the end of the waffle Matt read out a text from a user who had been waiting months for a phone line, let alone broadband. He also said we had (one of) the cheapest broadband in Europe - who feeds him this stuff?

The funny thing is he says we have the cheapest broadband in Europe and then later admits that he was talking crap and that our broadband prices don't include line rental like most of the rest of Europe's.

The fact that he starts laughing about 3 times at how ridiculous the whole thing is and the bull he is talking and the joke that is our communications infrastructure is pretty much disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I was also wondering about the price comparison.....aside from the "add line rental" factor, was he comparing like speeds/contention with like ?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

As mentioned in my previous posts NGN is coming thick and fast. eircom has already presented to industry and ComReg on same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

i know ,in the area im in, and at 14, i will be at collage at least by the time i get bb in my area
    its ridioucous

I know what you mean ive been waiting eagerly since i was 14 too, now im 17 in a week living in a town of over 2000 with no dsl or wireless option
    its a disgrace
    only 15mins from limerick city
    its a commuter town like

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

Tom Young wrote:
    As mentioned in my previous posts NGN is coming thick and fast. eircom has already presented to industry and ComReg on same.

Did they say it would be "thick" or "fast?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

1huge1 wrote:
    I know what you mean ive been waiting eagerly since i was 14 too, now im 17 in a week living in a town of over 2000 with no dsl or wireless option
    its a disgrace
    only 15mins from limerick city
    its a commuter town like

i know man , im only about 10 minutes from argueable the main commuter town[dundalk] yet according to my uncle,who works for eircom,no chance of line bb anytime soon

i can get one companys wireless[net 1]but they just wont come out

• Advertisement
Advertisement