Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia/Meteor Bastards!

Options
  • 17-01-2007 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I'm sure that if there is water damage they usually take a photo (or show you the phone) and show you where the supposed water damage is. SO you could ask to see that maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054970642&referrerid=&
    highlight=&nojs=1#usercptools

This topic has been raised before. It seems this water damage thing is a convenient get out clause for the phone companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cwynnes

Yeah iv seen that problem before, its not necesarily a problem with the software, unfortunately it most likely is water damage and cant be fixed under warranty because the warranty doesnt cover accident.... its only a technical warranty, the reason the handset symbol comes up is because of a short circuit....caused by water...if u look at the bottom of the phone at the pins it might show some green scum at the bottom...if thats the case its water damage...if its not there (probly wont be because the shop could have cleaned it) ask for photographic evidence, all repair centres are set up for that, when you look at the photo, look for a bit with green scum...thatll be the water...hope that helps....sorry about your phone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I would like to point out that every time this topic comes up, it breaks down to some people saying that its a "convenient excuse", and then a rake of people who work in the industry disproving it. Explain this- a Nokia service centre doesnt get paid if they dont fix your phone. So if they could, wouldnt they?

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote:
    I would like to point out that every time this topic comes up, it breaks down to some people saying that its a "convenient excuse", and then a rake of people who work in the industry disproving it. Explain this- a Nokia service centre doesnt get paid if they dont fix your phone. So if they could, wouldnt they?

The bone of contention is,the 'phone companies make it a condition of warranty,something that it is virtually impossible for the user to comply with, let alone dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

SDooM wrote:

They also get paid for technical investigations - a nice earner I'm sure.

Works out well for the phone seller + the service centre if there is "water damage" to a new phone, user gets nothing.

Having said that, with the weather lately there can't be many dry phones left in the country:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

funny how every faulty phone turns out to be water damaged.....

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Used to work admin in a Nokia service centre (years ago). We were only able to bill for phones we actually fixed. (not "investigated")

In the beginning, the boss had the engineer try and repair everything, even if water damanged, but they would all come back so they had to stop. Even if you "fix" a water damaged phone, unless you replace the (water damaged) board, it will continue to have faults.

People are such morons when collecting their phones. There were people who got so angry the gards had to be called as they were threatening to knife people on their way home, some started CRYING. Seriously, I've never seen such a thing before or since!

IMO people don't get paid enough to deal with jerks like that. If you have a complaint, sue nokia. Otherwise, stop pissing on your phones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Every phone? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

ciaranfo wrote:
    Every phone? ...
    No doubt he has the proof to back up his claim.

Having said that it has been a few weeks since a thread like this, and in the spirit or repeatitive threads, I am on my way over to Paranormal to start a Most Haunted thread, then over to fashion to start a How Does This Outfit Look, stroll over to PI to ask why No One Loves Me & finally on to Feedback to complain about been banned for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

I dont see how you can blame your service provider on this one. The fault was with the handset. That means you deal with the manufacturer(in this case Nokia). I agree with the others who have said it would have been in Nokia's best interest to fix the phone. That way they get paid for the repair and they dont have to deal with an irate customer.

If the report comes back saying the phone has been water damaged and you feel it's a cop out then you can take it to an independent repair company(although Sigma are independent, they do work closely with phone companies) who would have absolutely no reason to bull**** you. If they produce different results then your still under warranty, otherwise you get on with it.

7.Ronaldo wrote:
    I agree with the others who have said it would have been in Nokia's best interest to fix the phone. That way they get paid for the repair and they dont have to deal with an irate customer.

No nokia would not get paid for the repair. Who would pay them?
    Joe Duffy doesn't and the last time I checked the UN had slightly more pressing matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Garth wrote:
    Used to work admin in a Nokia service centre (years ago). We were only able to bill for phones we actually fixed. (not "investigated").
    Jaesus..do the phone shops think tech folks work for free, or just love looking at circuit boards. Who agreed to that service contract? TV repair places charge for investigative work & also for insurance claim reports.
    Garth wrote:
    In the beginning, the boss had the engineer try and repair everything, even if water damanged, but they would all come back so they had to stop. Even if you "fix" a water damaged phone, unless you replace the (water damaged) board, it will continue to have faults.").
    True.. usually not worth it. Will never be as reliable as when it left the phone shop.
    Garth wrote:
    People are such morons when collecting their phones. There were people who got so angry the guards had to be called as they were threatening to knife people on their way home, some started CRYING. Seriously, I've never seen such a thing before or since!.
    Guess phones are all that stand between some folks & insanity.
    It's a phone, not built to travel thru space, it's going to fail sometime soon..plan for it people!
    Garth wrote:
    IMO people don't get paid enough to deal with jerks like that. If you have a complaint, sue nokia. Otherwise, stop pissing on your phones.
    Don't think anybody who deals with the public ever gets paid enough for it, hope you went on to better things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Hey Gillo

Good to see you posting about phones again. I think the last time we had this debate you rightly proved wrong on every point you made.

Someone else posted that water damage to the circuit board would mean the circuit board would need replacement.

About 3 months ago my laptop had some serious problems. The battery wouldn’t charge, RAM died and the screen would die every few minutes. I got on to the makers in the UK, who in fairness aren’t a leading maker or brand name but do use the latest equipment, they asked me to send it back to them. After all, all their laptops came with a 3 year warranty.

I sent it back via UPS at my own expense (about €100) and waited. A week later they rang me and said it was fixed and they could send it back at anytime. I asked what the problem was. They told me something blew on the motherboard and this had affected everything else. They replaced the motherboard and RAM. The screen was fixed and the battery charging. A couple of days later I got it back along with a cheque for €100.

Now if a small to mid-range maker of laptops can change a motherboard with 2 64bit processors attached how come the world leading phone maker can’t change a circuit board for you. All this is conjecture of course if the phone isn’t water damaged, which once again, it appears that Sigma engineers have been proved wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Now if a small to mid-range maker of laptops can change a motherboard with 2 64bit processors attached how come the world leading phone maker can’t change a circuit board for you. All this is conjecture of course if the phone isn’t water damaged, which once again, it appears that Sigma engineers have been proved wrong.
    Phones have a expected life length of around 1 to 2 years (stated by both Sony and Nokia in a on going case in Norway regarding warranty for reference).

Also the company you qoute would not actually be the once footing the bill as they pass it back on warranty to their reseller for replacement. They only cost they took, and that cost could very well be passed back/insured as well would be the €100 check to you.

I bought the laptop directly from the companies website. I wouldnt be 100% sure on this but it looks to me they hire another company to fix them. Now that would mean all the cost was debited from the makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The water damage excuse is really annoying. People do claim, that it's a remarkable coincidence, that everyone seems to encounter this issue. But co-incidence or not, I can state that several times I've experienced the 'water damage' report with phones that have most definately not been in contact with anything other then maybe a drop or two of rain.

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote:
    The water damage excuse is really annoying. People do claim, that it's a remarkable coincidence, that everyone seems to encounter this issue. But co-incidence or not, I can state that several times I've experienced the 'water damage' report with phones that have most definately not been in contact with anything other then maybe a drop or two of rain.
    I hope you didn't tell them it was a drop of rain!

:D
    ... and my point was, i never got water near the phone.

Oh but you did, and this is where it gets really annoying.

(a) You put it in your pocket.................. Sweat
    (b) you held it close to your mouth...............Breath
    (c) You answered it in the kitchen of your home.......Condensation
    (d) You stood looking out the window at the p*sses of rain

OK the last one's a bit far fetched but you get my drift. (Or maybe it's one the manufacturers just haven't thought of yet.)

Hey Gillo

Good to see you posting about phones again. I think the last time we had this debate you rightly proved wrong on every point you made.
    Funny, I'm pretty sure I didn't prove myself wrong, care to post a link to where I did, not only will I eat humble pie I'll eat humble tart too if I am wrong.

What exactly happened in the end with the issue you had you had with Sigma, Sony Ericsson and Vodafone?
    Apologies for the repeativness... I never have consumer issues so it was a first stop here for me... too lazy to search for old threads.
    No need to apologise, my comment was not aimed at you in particular it was a general observation.

The Scientist, while I don't think you are covered by consumer legislation in this case, I do think that you were unfairly treated by Meteor. Why not send a complaint to them not about the phone not workign but about how you were treated in store.

Hey Gillo

Funny, I'm pretty sure I didn't prove myself wrong, care to post a link to where I did, not only will I eat humble pie I'll eat humble tart too if I am wrong.

What exactly happened in the end with the issue you had you had with Sigma, Sony Ericsson and Vodafone?
    Apologies for the repeativness... I never have consumer issues so it was a first stop here for me... too lazy to search for old threads.
    No need to apologise, my comment was not aimed at you in particular it was a general observation.

The Scientist, while I don't think you are covered by consumer legislation in this case, I do think that you were unfairly treated by Meteor. Why not send a complaint to them not about the phone not workign but about how you were treated in store. As a part of Eircom I would say that they are been forced to adopt Eircom's customer charter.

gillo wrote:

Hey Gillo

The link to the last thread we had this out on is posted here already.

In the end Gillo I just switched networks.

Opps sorry to all those people working at the Vodafone call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Just because a phone has water damage, doesn't mean the water damage is the reason your phone's not working. It just voids the warranty.
    So, let's say you have a software problem and they find the circuit board is damaged. Even though the software could be fixed, because of the water damage, the warranty is voided so it won't be fixed.

Once again Pythia misses the point.

Warranty (as discussed in our last thread) means nothing in a court and does not effect your consumer rights.

Once again Pythia misses the point.

Warranty (as discussed in our last thread) means nothing in a court and does not effect your consumer rights.
    If you have water in your phone consumer rights do not apply - unless the water was in the phone when you bought it - but prove that!

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    If you have water in your phone consumer rights do not apply - unless the water was in the phone when you bought it - but prove that!

Why?

Advertisement