Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboarding Gear

Options
  • 17-01-2007 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I'm about to go on my second snowboarding trip and I'm looking to buy some gear instead of renting. So where's the best place for boards/boots/bindings?
    Are there any decent places that sell used gear in Ireland?

I've seen a Burton board + bindings (Cruiser board and freestyle bindings if I remember) deal in The Great Outdoors for €325, which seems good.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Again I think that Great OutDoors in Dublin (just off grafton Street) is the best place to buy any gear in Ireland (In terms of stock).
    Are there any decent places that sell used gear in Ireland?

Not that I know off
    Any advice?

The Boots are the first thing you buy and the most important.

After that you can buy a board/bindings etc just remember you also have to get a bag for the above, always make sure you check with your airline that they don't charge extra for Snow Equipment (My bag weights ~20Kg).

You also have to get your board waxed everytime you go on holidays.

Im not trying to put you off here, having your own equipment is great. I just dont want you to think that its plain sailing once you fork out all that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Leah-G1

Theres a new shop on South William Street opened called the BLVD,Great range of snowboards/snowboots and bindings.

You should check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Again I think that Great OutDoors in Dublin (just off grafton Street) is the best place to buy any gear in Ireland (In terms of stock).

ARE YA JOKIN?????

Great Outdoors is THE MOST EXPENSIVE place in Ireland for snow gear.
    There are a few alternatives, but my advice would be to contact Paul at Irishsnowboards.com - has some great deals

www.irishsnowboards.com

Alternatively get online & get stuff thru UK/Europe - tho ya can get hit for tax/customs duty....

Good luck,

JohnBoy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

or buy when your in resort and pay less than you would over here and have a better selection of what to choose from fitted by more experienced people who you can go back to the next day when you discover there is something wrong once you've actually used the kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

robinph wrote:
    or buy when your in resort and pay less than you would over here and have a better selection of what to choose from fitted by more experienced people who you can go back to the next day when you discover there is something wrong once you've actually used the kit.

Yus, I think anyone who buys snowboarding gear in Ireland is bananas (unless it's pants from TK-MAXX or something).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Yeah - TK-Max is a great place!

I got a pair of Quiksilver pants for 65.99
    Then was in 3 weeks later and they had the matching jacket for 99.99

Was chuffed with myself as it would have worked out twice the price for the RRP :D

Be patient with TK-Max, sometimes you have to go back once a week to find something nice or something in your size!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

robinph wrote:

I thought you'd pay through the nose for gear at a resort???
    Heading to Soll, Austria... anyone know if its cheap or even the same price to get gear there??

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

WillyWonka wrote:
    I thought you'd pay through the nose for gear at a resort???
    Even if your in quite an expensive place, this usually isnt the case. All resorts have aleast a few shops (which is more than we have for a whole country). They have to be competitive. They will also be aiming there prices a people from that country who will be more aware of what the usual price is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭da7a

Try blue-tomato.at for snowboarding gear but dont buy boots without trying them on first. They have a sale on at the moment and are great to deal with.

The burton cruzer is a very basic board, its mainly used by boardshops as a cheap board for renting out to beginners. Youd be better off renting and saving yourself the hasle and money.

If you want to spend a bit more then id say go for it, youll get a quality board (min 350e) and set bindings(125-150e) for around 500 euros. If you wait till you get to the resort you will have a better choice and many shops will now have mid season discounts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Your fine buying the clothes at home but any more technical kit your better off buying in resort, even if it does happen to be a touch more expensive but that is unlikely. Boots especially are the most critical item that you'll ever buy for any snow sports and should definitely be bought in resort, you won't know exactly how they perform until you've spent a day wearing them and you won't be able to go back to the shop the next day to get things adjusted if you got them here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭legoman

I just got back from Kaprun, Austria near Zell em See. There are some awesome deals going on in there. There are two shops in the area that do great deals at the moment. Resistance in Zell, has 25% of most stuff. 30% off both board and bindings if you buy a set. They have loads of stuff there for the average size boarder. If you go into Sport 2000 Glasser in Kaprun. They might match the same deal for you that you would get in Resistance, they did for me.

L

Advertisement