Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Projector Questions

• 17-01-2007 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi i am thinking of buying a projector for my PC, i just want to know if it is viable as regards to power usage compared to a normal monitor. Also how often do the bulbs need replacing?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

If you're going to use it for surfing/gaming/long sessions, I'd think carefully - projector images tend to get "washed out" by ambient light and while you mighth enjoy the sheer image size, you might get fed up of the appearance of it if you're using it in a room with daylight or the lights on.

As for operation, typically you should get 2000 - 3000 hours from a lamp, although in the main they're only guaranteed for 90 days, sometimes with an accompanying limit on hours. Lamps do fail with relatively few hours on them - and their life is dependent on a whole pile of factors - you can't turn a projetcor on and off like a telly - they need time to cool down properly between sessions, and most wear on the electrodes in the lamp occur when it "strikes" - i.e fires up, so the more on/off cycles, the shorter the life, as a general rule. There are no guarantees of lamp life other than the 90 day/whatever guarantee.

Many models also recommend that you don't run them for more than eight/twelve hours at a stretch - this may/may not be an issue for you.

You need to give us an idea of your budget, where you intend to run it, what usage it's likely to get etc. - might be able to give you some better advice, but if it was me and it was for general pc use with ambient light, I'd be thinking of a mega monitor......... thinking 42", budget dependent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah I wouldn't go towards a PJ for general PC usage.

When I had one, I always limited it to that film I want on the big screen and the odd football/rugby game. I was taking into consideration the lamp life and the fact that start ups and shut downs should be kept to a minimum. IE done only when required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Spondulick

Thanks for the info guys. Think i will be getting a Dell w2600 instead of the projector, seems to suit my overall needs better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

............... sounds lke a good decision............

Ritz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alexandersteel

Hello Friends:

I am interested in purchasing a projector for the following use:

I have a large office with 14 foot ceilings. I want to be able to project an image onto one of the walls (screen) for presentation purposes. I will also need a projector that is remote controlled and can be wired with a laptop. This projector however should be hanging by the ceiling via an extendor.

I'm really walking into this not really knowing what to get nor knowledge of the whole wireless/non-wireless projector for laptop presentations.

Please help.

Damon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

contact www.meritec.ie and they'll set you right without cleaning out your pockets.

Advertisement