Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bannable Offenses

Options
  • 17-01-2007 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭

A request and an question...

The request:

Can we make it a bannable offense to point out that threads have been done before? Seriously... I don't care if it was discussed two/three/seven years ago and I couldn't be arsed traling through pages of search resluts whick are never that accurate to start with.

And don't bother linking to it either in the middle of a sarcastic sentence like "Wow this is new...." to said article from back in '97. People should be shot for this. We, the newer members of boards, DO NOT CARE if you and a bunch of people who no longer frequent. It doesn't make the issue null and void...!

The idea:
    What else can we make bannable offence...?

Ip.

PS - If someone decides to trawl back through the annals of boards history in the hope of finding a vague thread from the last time this came up and link to it.... **** OFF, YOU BLOODY ANORAK!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Pfft, this is soo November 2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

If there was a decent search facility then threads would not be repeated as much.

The current search facility is crap.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Bannings for all users with no vowels in their username.
    What are you, Welsh, or just clearing your throat?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't know what a "search reslut whick", but I want one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Even when there was a good search tool people still repeated threads. It's just laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    The idea:
    What else can we make bannable offence...?

making threads like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

wrong forum surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Posting in the wrong forum should be bannable!

This should be in Feedback too.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The banstick would be well worn out at that stage! It has happened before though and will again, especially to those who should know better and post in After Hours "for speedier answers" or similar. I've been here long enough to know the amount of times certain threads show up again so unless its not more than once in a month, it doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Especially when it is posted in a busier forum in the hope of getting more replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

If someone's refering back to threads from years ago, maybe so. But sometimes you get a repost of a thread from a day or two ago, that only just slipped onto page 2, in which case fair enough (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

...but if people get high and mighty about it...? **** it! Mistakes happen!!
    making threads like this.

making threads like what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

smashey wrote:
    Especially when it is posted in a busier forum in the hope of getting more replies.
    Exactly.

Ban Ikky Poo2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

This thread has _so_ been done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

5265.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe I'm confused, but I so want to inslut yuo, PO.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

esel wrote:

Depends... whats a PO?

And rb, I've been banned before for less so.... meh....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

esel wrote:

wait.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Pehaps we should have a timeframe during which a new thread should not be created but after which the topic could be raised again. New information can arise, new ways of looking at things so redebating a topic should be allowed but it IS pretty annoying when after a long debate of a topic a user comes along and says "hey, what about XYZ...." (cue everyone shouting at the new guy, usually).

So, perhaps we should have a "decay time" for threads like a month or something.... opinions?

DeV.

Bannings for all users with no vowels in their username.
    What are you, Welsh, or just clearing your throat?

analogue bubblebath* minus vowels

* was the name of a zine I used to write 1998 - 2000, itself named after a deadly Aphex Twin tune.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    analogue bubblebath* minus vowels

* was the name of a zine I used to write 1998 - 2000, itself named after a deadly Aphex Twin tune.

Then it would be nlgbbblbth, not nlgbbbblth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

^^^^^^^^^ Dear god please get out and socialize

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

racso1975 wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^ Dear god please get out and socialize

Yes because people who mock others online are in a position to talk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Silverfish wrote:

That was taken.

Silverfish wrote:

should be but I decided to leave it as it was. Easier to remember four bs all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sometimes it's handy to find out that a thread has been done before - especially when the technical query you are making has been answered comprehensively in the older thread;- hence the suggestion in a number of forum charters to SEARCH the forum (at least have a quick scan through the first few pages of it anyway, and the FAQ thread if there is one) to see if your query has already been addressed in an older thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

/enters thread

Meh!
    A new banning excuse. Very good!

/leaves thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

DeVore wrote:
    Pehaps we should have a timeframe during which a new thread should not be created but after which the topic could be raised again. New information can arise, new ways of looking at things so redebating a topic should be allowed but it IS pretty annoying when after a long debate of a topic a user comes along and says "hey, what about XYZ...." (cue everyone shouting at the new guy, usually).

So, perhaps we should have a "decay time" for threads like a month or something.... opinions?

DeV.

The thing i don't like about old threads is when they are brought back up people just repeat things that have already been said or in a debate/argument the same points again and again because people don't want to read through 6 or 7 pages, i tend not to post in the larger topics unless there very interesting to me then ill read the pages and quote/reply to whatever.

A month is not that long. Two months would be better because a month can fly by - if a topic is created on the first of the month it will probbley stay there for a a day or two, if its a good topic then a week maybe two so then two weeks later the same topic can be started again. Thats a bit too soon id defiantly go with two months

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

All I'm worried about is if us mods are going to get a pay rise if we have to ban more people for random stuff. And, do we have to PM the people we ban with these new rules that are in place? And also, have the Janitor unions been notified about the changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Gordon wrote:
    All I'm worried about is if us mods are going to get a pay rise if we have to ban more people for random stuff. And, do we have to PM the people we ban with these new rules that are in place? And also, have the Janitor unions been notified about the changes?
    Word on the street is, you're pay is gonna get doubled. Thats just between you and Pighead though.

Advertisement