Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is better Aes or Tkip encryption

• 17-01-2007 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

My wireless device can do both so which would be the best. Also to get the most out of it do I have to use a certain lenght password

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Come on some of you tech lads must know plz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

cubix wrote:
    My wireless device can do both so which would be the best. Also to get the most out of it do I have to use a certain length password

Thanks

RC4 was the original encryption used in early wi-fi devices. RC4 in itself is an extremely effective and strong cipher and should provide good levels of security. The problem is that when implemented using WEP privacy it is fairly useless as WEP is a broken, and ineffective since it does not implement RC4 correctly.

RC4 has once again become usable with the implementation of TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol) in the newer WPA privacy protocol. TKIP involves changing the keys exchanged between devices often enough so that encryption (such as RC4) can be used safely.

AES is a new encryption standard different and stronger than RC4 (however RC4 is more than adequate if used correctly as is done with WPA).

AES is therefore a stronger form of encryption but is far more hardware and processor intensive than RC4.

WPA-PSK is more than adequate for a home setting as long as the passphrase you use is at least 60 characters comprising a random mixture of upper and lower case letters, numbers and other characters.

The passphrase is the achilles heel of WPA-PSK. Make sure it's strong enough and you'll have an unbreakable network.

Advertisement