Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms DHCP Servers

Options
  • 17-01-2007 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

Every single hour on the hour I have to restart my computer in order to get a fresh lease.The modem should do this automatically but its not...:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Have you mentioned it to Eircom?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Eircoms config files for those modems are a generic based on what speed in mb/s you have, so it has to be a localised problem, cos otherwise the country would be going mad having to reset their PC every hour.
    Also are the DHCP leases one hour leases on Eircom BB? Why cant you just run a "repair" on the network connection to poll the server for another lease if you lose the connection with your existing IP address?
    Is it an XP machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Have you mentioned it to Eircom?

I have indeed. They say that there is nothing wrong. I didn't change any settings on my router,so it must be them. Any ideas why?

It only happens on my main computer the second one and all wireless equipment is unaffected.

If anyone thinks that there may be something wrong on my end please mention it but keep in mind I have settings that were working perfectly up to a few days ago.
    Eircoms config files for those modems are a generic based on what speed in mb/s you have, so it has to be a localised problem, cos otherwise the country would be going mad having to reset their PC every hour.
    Also are the DHCP leases one hour leases on Eircom BB? Why cant you just run a "repair" on the network connection to poll the server for another lease if you lose the connection with your existing IP address?
    Is it an XP machine?

I tried repairing it a few times it just doesn't receive anything until I restart the computer. Yes it is an Xp machine.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Eircom dhcp servers give the modem a public address that is used to shunt traffic to/from the modem. The modem itself gives out the private IPs (unless dhcp is turned off) to its client devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Try manually assigning an IP to the affected machine.

192.168.1.xxx (try a high number, like 150, as the modem usually starts assigning addresses in numerical order).

You could also try resetting tcp/ip on the machine affected.

Open the command prompt and type :

netsh int ip reset reset.txt

then reset the computer. This may help.

This is an issue with the pc, not the modem, as you say the connection works fine on other machines.

Maybe the ethernet cable is dodgy, if you are using one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

parsi wrote:
    The Eircom dhcp servers give the modem a public address that is used to shunt traffic to/from the modem. The modem itself gives out the private IPs (unless dhcp is turned off) to its client devices.
    Surely that depends on your router setup?
    A lot of companies give their modem a private address along with a config at bootup that gives the login / speed details to the modem ie the modem is a private address. From there the modem can act as a gateway, requesting a Public IP from the DHCP server in the specified range, or you can set your router to give out private IP addresses that are router generated in the house.
    i dont actually know what eircom do cos I ain't never used em.
    But if the address is in a pre-specified eircom range, isn't that a Public IP address?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Eircoms modems give out addresses in the 192.168.*.* range (my linksys gives out 192.168.1.*) - at the lan side of the router the Ip addresses are nobodies business i.e. eircom will give the wan address and that's it. That's the way its done on DSL anyway. Any home user (which is what we're talking about here) will have a client ip address on their PC or MAC that is not routable.

I concede that this is probably my fault not eircoms because I tried differnt hardware and it stayed connected.

So I need help.

This computer will not renew its ip and it will on the other wired computer as well as the wireless.

It happens when I try to renew the ip manually or when the DHCP lease runs out and it tries to renew automatically.

I have tried /ipconfig already. Any suggestions please as it is peeing me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Could it be a firewall?

What reading do you get when you run ipconfig?

Did you do what I suggested above?

Open the command prompt and type :

netsh int ip reset reset.txt

then reset the computer. This may help.

If you manually assign the ip address what happens?

Problem now resolved! Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Problem now resolved! Thanks everyone!
    how did you fix it? (for the next bloke). ;)

Well it was a case of my own stupidity. SVhost.exe was blocked from net connection due to my very strict firewall set-up. I messed around with how it was set up and allowed svhost and hey presto! This is why I ask for advice I usually miss the simplest stuff :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Well it was a case of my own stupidity. SVhost.exe was blocked from net connection due to my very strict firewall set-up. I messed around with how it was set up and allowed svhost and hey presto! This is why I ask for advice I usually miss the simplest stuff :P.

What firewall are you using? I could do with a recommendation. Mine sucks. (teh Comodo firewall)

What firewall are you using? I could do with a recommendation. Mine sucks. (teh Comodo firewall)

I'm still using Sygate :D

Kerio and outpost are quite good to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've actually gone all out with AVG. they recently bought ewido anti-spyware and now do an internet security suite with AV/AS & FW all in one, all with their trademark low cpu/memory usage compared with the likes of Symantec & McAfee.

one of those bits of software that's actually worth paying for. :)

Advertisement