Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Employed 'expenses' question?

Options
  • 17-01-2007 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm looking to register as Self Employed shortly, and I was wondering about expenses. In particular, I have spent the last few months making purchases - which I suspect are claimable, however, as the tax year ends in April, will I still be able to submit these as expenses AFTER April? I had been waiting until I had purchased everything and got sorted with products, stationary etc before I registered as SE.

Otherwise, do I now have to get my skates on and register ASAP and complete a tax return in time for this April?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

It’s a long time since the tax year finished in april! The Deadline is October 31st for all filing (19th Nov if done online)

Few questions – are you going to register for vat and will you be a sole trade or a limited company?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

You can claim pre-trading expenses for goods/services purchased up to three years before the date you commence trading (as long as they relate to the setting-up of your business, and you have receipts etc.)

You won't be able to claim VAT back as you haven't been collecting VAT in that period, but can claim the full amount(s) against tax.

Afaik!

-C

Advertisement