Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafones new 3g pricing question

Options
  • 17-01-2007 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi

When I signed up to Vodafone 3g it was advertised as unlimited data for 49.99 per month. Now I see they are advertising the package as a 5Gb cap for 39.99 per month.

Does this mean that customers who signed up for the 49.99 rate will be switched over the the new 39.99 package automatically? Or do we get more download capacity and stay on 49.99 per month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Thats a seperate package. The unlimited package with aup doesnt change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Hi

When I signed up to Vodafone 3g it was advertised as unlimited data for 49.99 per month. Now I see they are advertising the package as a 5Gb cap for 39.99 per month.

Does this mean that customers who signed up for the 49.99 rate will be switched over the the new 39.99 package automatically? Or do we get more download capacity and stay on 49.99 per month?

So how are you finding it? Is it reliable and fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

Hi

so how much MB/GB are you using per month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

I find it quite good apart from the cap. No good for gaming because of the latency, but for browsing and downloading its fine, I'm getting good speeds in Cork city.

I only have it since December, I only used 5gb in december as people on the board seemed to think unlimited actually meant 5Gb.

So if the new package is 5Gb what does the 'unlimited' package actually mean? I know that its not actually 'unlimited'.

I find it quite good apart from the cap. No good for gaming because of the latency, but for browsing and downloading its fine, I'm getting good speeds in Cork city.

I only have it since December, I only used 5gb in december as people on the board seemed to think unlimited actually meant 5Gb.

So if the new package is 5Gb what does the 'unlimited' package actually mean? I know that its not actually 'unlimited'.

to be honest even though i work for vodafone in the mobile data area i can't give a definitive answer....i asked the question the other day in relation to the "unlimited" package and if anyone from the business/corporate space had had there contract terminated and was told no....as far as i can make out the policy is that there is a 3 strikes and your out policy for repeat offenders...

• Advertisement

Ok, well I kind of feel like i'm being conned now if I'm paying 10 euro more for the unlimited package, unless of course the cap is significantly more than 5Gb, can you actually give me a ballpark estimate even? 10Gb? 20 Gb? Also...does vodafone count upstream and downstream together? ie, does the 5gb include uploads and downloads together?

to be honest even though i work for vodafone in the mobile data area i can't give a definitive answer....i asked the question the other day in relation to the "unlimited" package and if anyone from the business/corporate space had had there contract terminated and was told no....as far as i can make out the policy is that there is a 3 strikes and your out policy for repeat offenders...

and what i mean by repeat offenders is someone who is well above the unofficial threshold of "5GB".....

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tubbritt

The 40 Euro a month package has a cap of 5GB. The 50 Euro a month package is called unlimited, and while I’m sure it’s not truly unlimited. It is obviously higher than 5GB.

So the unofficial cap of 5GB is really not true. I’ve had my card since the launch of the unlimited service and I’ve downloaded 5GB because of the so called unofficial cap. Now that I know of the 40Euro package being caped at 5Gb. I’m now setting my download notification warning to 7GB.

Which I did download last month.

Regards.
    James.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Vodafone have NEVER EVER EVER said anything about a 5Gb Cap, at any stage! it was an internet myth started by someone who didnt know what they were talking about.

Its like any other ISP service, if you are hammering downloads all day every day and other users of the services are experiencing a reduced service as a result then they will do something............but if you download 3Gb every night between 12 and 6am i dont think much will be said.

Lets move on from this "oh no 5Gb cap, they will put me in jail if i break it" use it as unlimited as i have been doing and if they tell you to stop.........then stop!

I must say though that vodafone really should come out and tell their customers what the score is, but then again if they can keep us below 5Gb without ever having even said it, and we continue to use the service, why would they!

I think maybe I'm being a bit too careful with the limit alright..as you've pointed out they will at least give a wanring before cutting me off. So you use it like a normal DSL service and download 20+ Gb a month godskitchen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Are vodafone not still on about 300kbs? or have they finally moved up to the 3.6mb offering of Three?

I find I can only get speeds of 250kbs with vodafone in Kildare town area and three now say they can provide a 3.6mb download service for 39.99 with a 3gb cap (more than enough for me!) - I can't get BB from anyone else so it will be interesting to see if this works.

I've also ordered a PCMCIA to PCI USB adaptor from roalan www.roalan.com for £95 (cheaper than USA!!!!) so I can use it in multiple PC's at home & work as well as laptop. - Others could get a PCMCIA adaptor from Peats in parnell st. and install it ina pci slot in their PC - €39

It will be bleedin brilliant if I can finally get BB speeds at home!

I will post the results of how well it works in this area and also in Camross in Laois where same BB problem is. Three guarantee all their transmitters will support high speed by end of feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

mcaul wrote:
    Are vodafone not still on about 300kbs? or have they finally moved up to the 3.6mb offering of Three?

I find I can only get speeds of 250kbs with vodafone in Kildare town area and three now say they can provide a 3.6mb download service for 39.99 with a 3gb cap (more than enough for me!) - I can't get BB from anyone else so it will be interesting to see if this works.

I've also ordered a PCMCIA to PCI USB adaptor from roalan www.roalan.com for £95 (cheaper than USA!!!!) so I can use it in multiple PC's at home & work as well as laptop. - Others could get a PCMCIA adaptor from Peats in parnell st. and install it ina pci slot in their PC - €39

It will be bleedin brilliant if I can finally get BB speeds at home!

I will post the results of how well it works in this area and also in Camross in Laois where same BB problem is. Three guarantee all their transmitters will support high speed by end of feb.

you should have got a 3g router.... wireless and 4 eth ports....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Vodafone have NEVER EVER EVER said anything about a 5Gb Cap, at any stage! it was an internet myth started by someone who didnt know what they were talking about.

I would have bet lots of money they did, but you appear to be correct... and I have have been watching my usage to keep under 5gb the whole time :eek:

Vodafone Unlimited Data

The following terms and conditions of the Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff are in addition to and form part of the general terms and conditions of the Vodafone Ireland Limited ("Vodafone") mobile telecommunications service and of the Vodafone Mobile Connect Card/Data Services. In the event of any conflict the terms and conditions below shall prevail. The Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff is only available to mobile data customers of Vodafone ("Customers") and allows Customers unlimited data download (subject to these terms and conditions) via their mobile phone account.

1. Existing Customers on Mobile Connect Card can migrate to the Unlimited Data tariff by contacting their account manager, phoning the business helpdesk on 1800 30 80 20 or calling into a Vodafone Retail store or accredited agent.

2. Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff shall be made available to the Customer from the next bill day following sign up.

3. Vodafone operates a Fair Usage Policy. It is important to Vodafone that all eligible Customers are able to access our services. Accordingly, we have devised a fair use policy which applies to Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff. Vodafone may rely on this fair use policy where a Customer's usage of the Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff is excessive or unreasonable as detailed in this paragraph. Vodafone has developed the Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff by reference to average customer profiles and estimated customer usage of the Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff. If, at the absolute discretion of Vodafone, Vodafone is of the opinion, that a Customer's usage of the Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff materially exceeds these estimated use pattern over any month, Vodafone may contact the Customer to advise that usage exceeds its fair use policy. If the excessive usage continues after receipt of a request to desist from or alter the nature of such usage, Vodafone reserves the right to charge the Customer for the excessive element of the usage at the standard rate or to suspend, at its absolute discretion, modify or restrict use of the Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff or to withdraw access to the Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff.

Vodafone reserves the right to withdraw the Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff generally or from any particular Customer at any time and to vary or amend any element of the Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff at any time without further notice. These terms and conditions may be varied or amended by Vodafone for any valid commercial technical or operational reason.

4.Use of VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) is not permitted within the Unlimited Data tariff offer and Vodafone reserves the right to impose technological or other constraints on this or related types of application.

5. Data Roaming is excluded from the Vodafone Unlimited Data Tariff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

What speed are Vodafone offering now? Have they moved up to hdspa yet? cos my current speed using the data sim via a 3g phone is about 250kbs and just doesn't do it for me. And it cuts out every hours or so and its nearly impossible to get even 100kbs in early evening.

Never got any details of any upgrade in speed capability so from Monday I'm on the 3 network. - They have 14 day trial, so at least I have a fall back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You need to change the AP from office.vodafone.something to hs.vodafone.something in that "dashboard" software to get HSDPA. Sorry about the vagueness, but I don't have the info at hand, just going from memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

mcaul wrote:
    What speed are Vodafone offering now? Have they moved up to hdspa yet? cos my current speed using the data sim via a 3g phone is about 250kbs and just doesn't do it for me. And it cuts out every hours or so and its nearly impossible to get even 100kbs in early evening.

Never got any details of any upgrade in speed capability so from Monday I'm on the 3 network. - They have 14 day trial, so at least I have a fall back.

Vodafones is supposed to be better value for money data rate wise with slower speeds I think but I don't have the service. There is a thread in Ireland Offline (still on front page) about Vodafone HSPDA which is what you need for fast speeds on Vodafone. Up to 1.8Mbps as far as I know but you should check the thread to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

#Elites wrote:
    but it does have a 5gb cap..

No, no no no no and no, sorry to be so blunt but NO WHERE does it say that, not on any website and NOT on my contract! Vodafone do offer a 5Gb/month (39.99)service but this is different from the UNLIMITED (49.99)service............feel free to correct me by adding a link to vodafone where you saw this 5Gb cap on the unlimited service.

6digitnumber Yes I use it for about 10/15Gb a month, if they call me and tell me to stop i will, but they wont as its unlimited and i dont hog bandwidth in peak hours.

mcaul Vodafone have moved up to Hsdpa in some areas, not many right now though, they told me on the phone they hope to have most current 3G areas up to 3.6M "very soon"

brim4brim is right, vodafone is better value for money, at the moment Three has the edge with the speed and coverage, vodafone will soon be at the same level on both those fronts, so i expect to see Three adjust their packages to become more competitive. Vodafone do expect to have speeds in excess of 14Mb yes 14 within two years...........bring it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JWB

mcaul wrote:

Hi,
    I have my suspicions on what actual speeds are available but my "connected speed = 3.6 Mbps" which would indicate they have turned up the HSDPA. I have poor coverage and the max. real speed I acheive at best is 380Kbps.

Remember that a "3G Phone" is not a HSDPA phone, there are very few of them available so it's likely that your 3G phone is only capable of 386Kbps max.

as far as i am aware the E620 data card is only capable of getting 1.8 speed...the USB modem and embedded laptops(Dell and Lenovo) are capable of 3.6 when the network gets upgraded(should be mid to end march)....at present 70% population coverage is HSDPA enabled and 85% is standard 3G....the remaining 15% is due to be completed along with the further HSDPA software upgrade by the end of march...hope this helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

FWIW Voda have the best 3g coverage although 3 have been catching up in the past 6 months. o2 are way behind.

On this Voda map you can see if you can get it, red bits yes, orange bits maybe , green bits wil be gprs at 56k max and white bits are no coverage at all at all.

http://62.17.23.101:8080/liteview6.5/servlet/MapGuideLiteView?REQUEST=MAP&WIDTH=1700&HEIGHT=1700&FORMAT=PNG&LAYERS=VodafoneCoverCombo.mwf&BBOX=-50000,0,600000,600000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Frank Grimes Jr

wirelessdue,
    will it be expected that Vodafone will provide a datacard upgrade option for E620 users when the network is upgraded to 3.6?
    as far as i am aware the E620 data card is only capable of getting 1.8 speed...the USB modem and embedded laptops(Dell and Lenovo) are capable of 3.6 when the network gets upgraded(should be mid to end march)....at present 70% population coverage is HSDPA enabled and 85% is standard 3G....the remaining 15% is due to be completed along with the further HSDPA software upgrade by the end of march...hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Not 100% sure what you mean there, Do you mean that the country will have 100% 3g/hspda coverage or that Hspda will be upgraded from 70%-85% by end of march?
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    FWIW Voda have the best 3g coverage although 3 have been catching up in the past 6 months. o2 are way behind.

On this Voda map you can see if you can get it, red bits yes, orange bits maybe , green bits wil be gprs at 56k max and white bits are no coverage at all at all.

http://62.17.23.101:8080/liteview6.5/servlet/MapGuideLiteView?REQUEST=MAP&WIDTH=1700&HEIGHT=1700&FORMAT=PNG&LAYERS=VodafoneCoverCombo.mwf&BBOX=-50000,0,600000,600000

Is this map up to date? Seems to me there is much less 3g coverage on it then 85%

85% population coverage is their claim, not 85% geographic coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Blaster99 wrote:
    You need to change the AP from office.vodafone.something to hs.vodafone.something in that "dashboard" software to get HSDPA. Sorry about the vagueness, but I don't have the info at hand, just going from memory.

Change the apn to hs.vodafone.ie
    Also give them a call to make sure you have the apn and make sure that the EQOSID(exact quality of service ID) is set to 500

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

wirelessdue,
    will it be expected that Vodafone will provide a datacard upgrade option for E620 users when the network is upgraded to 3.6?

Not a chance.........

they do upgrade the 618 card for free as it was missold.

Advertisement