Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory errors

• 17-01-2007 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I'm fixing a friends computer at the moment. Basically, XP started crashing a lot and now it won't boot. Anyway, that's not what I'm concerned about.
    I ran Memtest86 to check the RAM and it's throwing up lots of errors, so I switched the sticks for some I know to be working perfectly (tested in a functioning machine), and I'm still getting errors. Now, the other thing is that the northbridge fan died in this guys machine 14 months ago...and he never had it fixed.... so I've replaced it with a shiny new one. But I think there has been heat damage to the mobo... Any ideas/opinions?
    Just wanted to post this up for a second opinion before I tell the guy he needs a new mobo...and chip and ram.... as his gear is outta date...

AMD chip (think it's a sempron)
    Abit KV7 Mobo
    Twinmos Ram

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you know the ram is fine in another machine(original ram), the yes its either the board or chip(memory controller is on the cpu in K8).

Odds are its the northbridge though as heat can damage chips over short/long periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yep, time for a new board. and cpu, ram ect ect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

krazy_8s wrote:
    If you know the ram is fine in another machine(original ram), the yes its either the board or chip(memory controller is on the cpu in K8).

Odds are its the northbridge though as heat can damage chips over short/long periods.

Well, I have a spare CPU which I can check the board with, so if that's still causing problems, it's new bits time.

Thanks for the replies lads, always good to get a second opinion :)

Advertisement