Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lcvp worth doing?

Options
  • 17-01-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

now i know theres nothing to hard about it or anything but im doing 3 higher subjects which im quiet confident ill get at least a b or c in them n 3 pass subjects which im positive ill get about a c in n one foundation class......(im truely r*tarded in irish:p ) so saying that id get the greade im expecting is lcvp rele worth doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Your in the same position as me only maths is my kryptonite(possibly spelt wrong) i got 240 points in christmas but i consider them harder than leaving cert. I want a1s in english and french both pass(accept b1s) i need 200 points from my 3 honors(i got 180 in the christmas)
    but what is lcvp?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LCVP is standard Leaving Cert. plus an additional 'Vocational Studies' subject.

Yes, it's worth doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It's worth looking at what classes LCVP replaces in our school before doing it. For instance, in my school we had LCVP classes in place of Computers, SPHE and Guidance. If you don't want to miss one of the things it replaces, then obviously don't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i didnt do it and i dont regret that. i guess if you are a confident person and you think you'll enjoy the work experience and such, go for it. i know it may only count towards certain colleges when adding the old points up, but if you want alot of them, check it out!

I remember being told that I didn't fit any of the various combinations you had to do to be eligible to do LCVP. I was happy.

Our school just threw together a Film Study yoke instead for two hours every Monday. In 6th year we just had study time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

I done lcvp and work very hard on it(But still i failed)Mayb because The teacher kept ignoring me but what have u got to lose....

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Its more suited towards people who are going straight into work from school. Its worth doing if you think you're gonna get less than 60 points in two of your subjects if you're already doing 7 subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I did LCVP for the Leaving Cert. In my school, one had to pick one of computers, PE, LCVP or drama. It's really not very hard work, as long as you pick appropriate options within the course. For example, instead of doing a work experience diary, do a recorded interview: it will save you days. It's quite a common sense sort of subject, easy enough to do well in with very little study. You can get up to seventy CAO points for it, if you count it as on of your six subjects. That can make all the difference, especially for students taking a lot of ordinary level subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

NO! its a waste of time. I handed up some of my portfolio weeks ago. Our teachers have no interest. They didnt even correct it. Its hard to get a distinction. I should have just done study classes instead. But its good if you need the points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭RedXIII

Yes in your situation id do it (ie 3+ pass subjects) U can easily get a distinction(70Points) which is better than an A1 (60points ) in a pass subject. Basically u need to just listen in class, and put a bit of effort into the project. i got an distinction with basically no effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

meh i just went for it only one class of it a week though so it mostly has to be done outside class time told to try have the cv career investigation n work experience diary outta the way by the end of the month i have the cv done already work experience diary i can just base that off the one i did in 4th year i guess so its this career investigation i have to do now:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

If it's likely to bring your points up, then it's worth doing, mine wasn't, so I quit. :D

well highest possible marks with lcvp = 490
    highest possible marks without lcvp = 480

not much of a differance rele lol:p

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

not much of a difference unless the course you really really want turns out to be 10 points more than you got!!

i couldnt speak more highly of it, the written project you do for LCVP is the only thing in all of secondary school that i found to prepare you for the projects you will do in college down the line!!

well all the courses i rele rele want are all about in the 300 range so i dont rele gotta worry about 10 points but ehh if like u say it prepare me for porjects ill get in college i shud prolly just stick with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Did LCVP two years ago..only did it for bita craic/something to do instead of those studying periods or guidance classes they got/there was no harm in doing it as everything done before the exams.
    Happened to get a distinction in it. Glad I did after as it brought up my points by 10points, even though I already got well enough points for my course..just personal satisfaction really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

people keep saying it will bring them up those 10 points, but thats assuming you get the A1! with effort its a gauraunteed 70points! you cant ask for much more then that realy unless you are looking for like 450+ points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I did LCVP.
    It took up way more time and effort than i thought it would.
    However it brought me up 10 points coz I got a distinction.
    I was the only one out iof 30-35 to get the distinction
    I think its better to concentrate on your other subjects and do better in them.
    The only advantage of it is that if you do well in it it looks good on a CV.
    I dindnt need the extra points I got from LCVP but I understand some people will

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, i think LCVP is worth it.
    I have just finished the portfolio and it was very easy.

And the exam itself reminds me CSPE.
    However, it is pretty hard to get the distinction, apparently.

If you didnt to TY (like me) it is worth it for the work experience.

Will just have to see what the result will be now.:)

Advertisement