Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance

Options
  • 18-01-2007 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I have always had pet insurance for my pedigree dog. It is coming up to my renewal and I am wondering is it really any use to have it?

I know its a peace of mind but I have heard stories that the insurance company has loop holes which stops them from paying out on different claims.

What are your opinons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'd go for it, they don't always pay the full whack but just check out the fine print etc it's not too expensive considering how much it costs nowdays for even routine treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 strawberry jam

We didn't get pet insurance for our dog and I'm regretting it now! In the last couple of years she has torn her cruciate liagament, had frequent vets visits, tests and treatment for urinary tract infections, and is at the moment recovering from getting a fatty lump removed from the top of her leg.

She is about 12 years old now and we can't get insurance as the insurance companies won't commence a policy after the dog is 8 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

I got pet insurance for my lab x when we got him, and i have to say it was money very well spent. It turns out he was born with hip dysplasia and was on medication from 4 months old and subsequently had a total hip replacement op last year which cost the bones (scuse the pun lol) of 3 grand, that doesn't include the 4 years of med bills up to that. I would have to say that I think you'd be mad not to renew your policy. I have to pay the first 60 euro in any given year but after that I'm covered up to 3 grand ish. Good luck whatever you decide ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Thanks for all your replies.

I will be renewing the insurance. Pity there isnt another company out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I'd get it, i hav it but my friend doesnt it.

He bought a bulldog and i said to him he should get insurance he didnt, two months later the dog had eaten a marble that becamse lodged in his intestine, €3000 for the operation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Allianz and Hibernian both do pet insurance, however don't bother with them if you have pets other than cats or dogs, they discriminate against owners of other pets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I have insurance. I can't imagine how much I would have spent had I not got it! Had a lot of problems with my GSD in his early years! With the insurance I only had to pay the first €50 and they covered the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Since when does Hibernian do pet incurance? There is nothing on their homepage to indicate they do separate pet insurance, just some minimal pet cover (against death caused by break-in etc.) included in their house insurance ...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

deffo get insurance, my aunts dog impaled herself on a gate and had to have her leg amputated, no insurance as they got her when she was 9 and it cost them 800 quid for everything.
    We got pup, got papers from insurance co, had to sign and send them back our vet said not to, to go through him instead and get the first month free. We did thei except they didnt send the shaggin form off and now hes uninsurable for a complaint with his stomach as its seen as being pre existing, wouldnt have been had we not done what vet said. Vet visit cost us 160 intead of 60 had we been covered. V peed off but sure what can ya do!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

i'm getting a GSD pup this week and interested in getting her insured. Can anyone help me with the insurance companies and so on? She is registered so will need to be hip scored when she'snearly a year and so on. I want her to be covered in case of the worst case scenario. Appreciate any info. :D:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

d-redser wrote:
    I have always had pet insurance for my pedigree dog. It is coming up to my renewal and I am wondering is it really any use to have it?

I know its a peace of mind but I have heard stories that the insurance company has loop holes which stops them from paying out on different claims.

What are your opinons?
    What sort of a dog do you have? If it's a sort of breed that's renound for having certain conditions it would well be worth getting it renewed. Ask the company about loopholes, they might have a bit of info on their website aswell, or speak to your vet about your insurance and what it covers and what it doesn't.

corkimp wrote:
    i'm getting a GSD pup this week and interested in getting her insured. Can anyone help me with the insurance companies and so on? She is registered so will need to be hip scored when she'snearly a year and so on. I want her to be covered in case of the worst case scenario. Appreciate any info. :D:)

We're with this crowd:
    http://www.petplan.co.uk/

Thanks Gillie :) Unfortunately they only do the UK. Any in Ireland that are any good? (rare I know! lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

its just the same. Allianz do it www.petplan.ie
    I got my two lurchers insured last week (about time) for 279 euro for the year.

corkimp wrote:
    Thanks Gillie :) Unfortunately they only do the UK. Any in Ireland that are any good? (rare I know! lol)

Sorry bout that! I am using them and I live in Ireland.

Gillie wrote:
    Sorry bout that! I am using them and I live in Ireland.

I looked it up, tried the quick quote and it wouldn't let me cos I wasn't a UK resident. Maybe if I rang them and checked it out. Priced it on Allianz for her - don't have her microchip no to hand but as a pb with no microchip she will cost me €210 a year or €17.50 a month. Is that good? I'll keep an eye out anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

corkimp wrote:
    I looked it up, tried the quick quote and it wouldn't let me cos I wasn't a UK resident. Maybe if I rang them and checked it out. Priced it on Allianz for her - don't have her microchip no to hand but as a pb with no microchip she will cost me €210 a year or €17.50 a month. Is that good? I'll keep an eye out anyways.

Jesus, we have 3 moggies, 2 ped cats and 1 xdog insured with allianz and it's about 350/400 a year, all chipped!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

corkimp wrote:

That is very high. Mine was around €150/170

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

popppy wrote:
    I have to pay the first 60 euro in any given year but after that I'm covered up to 3 grand ish. Good luck whatever you decide ! :)

Are you sure about this ?
    I have to pay the first 60 euro of any problem then the rest is covered.

Gillie - I asked in the vet (had to book my pup in for her shots!) and it is Petplan through Allianz though. It is €210 for purebred dogs - a discount available if she is microchipped. The more dogs/cats you are insuring the more of a discount you get from the price. but at the vets you get 2 months free if you buy through them. i think im sold lol! also a pup will get 6 weeks free when she gets her shots. how bad! :) thanks for letting me know

• Advertisement
Advertisement