Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forged bank notes

Options
  • 18-01-2007 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I went into a shop yesterday to buy myself a bit of lunch. I was paying for the item and gave the guy behind the counter a 10euro note. He took the note, looked at it and scanned it under a light. It turned out that the note was in fact a forgery.

No problem I thought, I would just head down to the bank and get it changed. None of the bank staff were going to take it off me.

So I'm left with a fake 10 euro note.

I hate the people who knowingly try to pass off a fake euro notes. I really leaves me with a loss. The worst part is that I don't know which shop passed it off.

In my opinion the shops should check the notes the give to the customer as well as checking the notes that they take on. Is it illegal for the shops to pass out forged notes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Did you not notice any difference in the feel of the note?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I remember being left with a fake €50 at a time when I was effin broke. From what I understood, a shop could take the fake note off me and then pass it on to the central bank.. or something like that.

I couldn't afford to take the €50 hit, be it real or fake, so I just went to a local shop and bought stuff with it. I did feel kinda crappy for doing it, but again, I couldn't take the hit.

I feel bad now, off to the corner with me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

connundrum wrote:
    From what I understood, a shop could take the fake note off me and then pass it on to the central bank.. or something like that.

As in, would sell you things and accept the 50? Would this not make the illegalisation of forged notes completely pointless:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Technically he was supposed to report you to the shades for trying to pay with a fake note. The bank won't change it - you're the one who gets stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The easiest way to check is to scrape your finger across the lines on the front, at the top, middle-ish. The lines are ridged so you should feel them if its a real note. Its also easy to do while customer in front of you instead of scrutinising the note, holding it up to light etc, making customer feel awkward. Think karma OP, you'll get your tenner back in good fortune!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Also, if you rub a real note onto some white paper, it will leave a mark.

It's up to the person receiving the note to check if it's real or not, even if received from a bank, once you walk out the door it's no-come-back-sies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm actually surprised the bank let you walk out with the note.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Cianos wrote:
    As in, would sell you things and accept the 50? Would this not make the illegalisation of forged notes completely pointless:confused:

No sorry, I thought that they would take the note off me, give me no goods or services in exchange, and then send the note on to the central bank or bring it into the guards.

^ that may have just been a rumour though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH.

I posted a few articles on forged bank notes here recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its a criminal offence to be in possesion of a counterfeit note,likewise for knowingly trying to pass one.If you get one,you h ave no recourse to banks or anybody else,you've been stung plain and simple.The best thing you can do is get rid of it somehow that would assuage your social conscience like using it to buy drugs for example!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I ended up putting it in with an express lodgement form and posting it in to my account. Do you reckon I could be charged for passing a fake note. Anyone asks, I'll deny I ever knew it was fake. In that way the bank gets the note, and I get money into my account.

Got a fake tenner before in a pub as change. Definitely was them as I'd been broke for a few days, and then got paid and went to the pub. Noticed it was a fake when i got back to my seat with a pint and went straight up to the barman and showed him. He goes....."yeah, it's obviously a fake, but i can't give you the real money cos i've no proof that you got it from me. I mean, that could just have been yours, you bought a pint and then could be pretending i gave you a fake in the change, couldn't you?".

I was pissed off, nothing i could do. Was gonna destroy it or something but an hour or two later, there was a blackout in the pub and i took great pleasure in handing it to the barman from before!!! It's still stuck up behind the bar with sellotape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I guess he look at it under a UV light, there are random threads (like worms) in the note that should appear brighter the the background white, however I've found that there are so few of those threads even on real notes that when one is worn its almost impossible to see them, so maybe your note is real, and with another more detailed examination it will turn out to be real

Advertisement