Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complain about CBB

Options
  • 18-01-2007 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

If you feel strongly enough about what's going on inside the house, drop a note to Ofcom. Here's the link, http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/progs/bb/
    I wrote this little chestnut myself just now, furious :mad:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I watched this programme last night and was truly disgusted that it was broadcast by Channel 4.

The broadcasting of bigoted or racist views and blatant victimization of an individual should only ever be shown in a fictional context or for educational purposes. I found last nights transmission both disturbing and exploitative.

As per today's Daily Express online, a show's spokesperson was alleged to have said the following, “It would be for the person who considered they were being racially abused to make a complaint to the programme-maker in the first instance.”

This is a ridiculous statement given that there is obviously a gang mentality waging this particular race war, the victim undoubtedly feels isolated and frightened.

Channel 4 and Endemol have a moral responsibility to the viewing public and one wonders how far they are willing to push it and how much they choose to ignore to increase audience figures. One can only wonder whether serious injury or even death will be the final nail in the proverbial coffin that is reality television.

The fact that the show's producers have not stepped in at this juncture is questionable and a full investigation should be pursued immediately. It is imperative that this is done on behalf of any member of the viewing public who believes in fair treatment and equality.

Yours sincerely,

Miss Fluff (not actual name evidently ;) )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

i think you have to remember as other posters have stated in other posts that Jermaine and shilpa where the first ones to bring up the racism. They had in in their heads straight off that they were the minority so this issue was bound to come out of this years CBB

The issues are more about the bullying or exclusion on Shilpa thats the real issue and att eh end of the day what species do not prey on the weak.

This issue brings real meaning to "making a mountain out of a mole hill" in my opinion.

You are requesting censorship to protect the viewing public from these images.

Also if BB did intervene they are breaking they're own rule of no contact with the outside world as any intervention would be directly influenced by whats going on.

Does no body remember the incident when emma and Michelle returned to the house and there was all out war, racial comments as well as physical violence and the cameras were shut off! At the end of the day BB will protect their contestants and if the situation escalates out of hand they will intervene.

Have a little faith in BB........remember to many complaints may result in the show being cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

Right, that's it... I am writing a letter of complaint to OXO for making those cubes that started this whole mess!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Miss Fluff wrote:
    If you feel strongly enough about what's going on inside the house, drop a note to Ofcom. Here's the link, http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/progs/bb/
    I wrote this little chestnut myself just now, furious :mad:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I watched this programme last night and was truly disgusted that it was broadcast by Channel 4.

The broadcasting of bigoted or racist views and blatant victimization of an individual should only ever be shown in a fictional context or for educational purposes. I found last nights transmission both disturbing and exploitative.

As per today's Daily Express online, a show's spokesperson was alleged to have said the following, “It would be for the person who considered they were being racially abused to make a complaint to the programme-maker in the first instance.”

This is a ridiculous statement given that there is obviously a gang mentality waging this particular race war, the victim undoubtedly feels isolated and frightened.

Channel 4 and Endemol have a moral responsibility to the viewing public and one wonders how far they are willing to push it and how much they choose to ignore to increase audience figures. One can only wonder whether serious injury or even death will be the final nail in the proverbial coffin that is reality television.

The fact that the show's producers have not stepped in at this juncture is questionable and a full investigation should be pursued immediately. It is imperative that this is done on behalf of any member of the viewing public who believes in fair treatment and equality.

Yours sincerely,

Miss Fluff (not actual name evidently ;) )
    :rolleyes: x 1,000,000,000,000,000

Did you seriously write to complain about a reality tv show?

Did you write to our government complaining about the use of Shannon Airport for American planes?

Did you write to your local TD complaining that our Taoiseach took illegal back handers?

Did you write to local TD to complain about the state of our Health Service?

Etc., Etc.

I bet you didn't. Which is a pity because these are serious issues.

If you really have a problem with what they are broadcasting there's one simple yet effective way to voice your protestations and that's by simply not watching the show. And that goes for the other 30,000 plus that have complained about the show. People really need to get a bit of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

If you don't like what your watching switch it off or complain to the standards people.

In my eyes Big brother is conducting it self perfectly well and i imagine obeying the rules they have to follow

If your living in a house with someone who insults you, your neighbour doesn't come in and interfere, bb shouldn't interfere unless there's reason too

Danielle has said something which sounded racist and bb called her in about it. That was the right action to take

If your working with somebody and they're being disrespectful/bullying you, its wrong and should get sorted out, this isnt the same situation, it's people clashing and they should deal with it themselves and anybody observing can make their own mind up and treat the people acordingly. It's not right how shilpa is being treated and the bullys will hopefully get treated as they should by the public or people watching, but bb should not kick them out of the house for being who they are, the show is doing more good by highlighting the bullying than they would by interfering and overreacting to a few peoples sensitive opinion of what they're showing

BaZmO* wrote:
    Did you seriously write to complain about a reality tv show?

Did you write to our government complaining about the use of Shannon Airport for American planes?

Did you write to your local TD complaining that our Taoiseach took illegal back handers?

Did you write to local TD to complain about the state of our Health Service?

As someone who agrees with the use of Shannon by the US, who feels that Aherns private loans are his own business, and who thinks his local TD does a good job, but hates racism, would it be okay for me to write?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Poppy84 wrote:
    Have a little faith in BB........remember to many complaints may result in the show being cancelled

Which would be no bad thing necessarily. They only should have done one to start with. The contestants in BB1 were blissfully unaware of the coverage of the show on the outside world. It was fresh and experimental. Nobody could have anticipated how huge it would be. From BB2 onwards, contestants were privy to extent of media coverage and what to expect afterwards. Think it has reached it's natural end imo.

As someone who agrees with the use of Shannon by the US, who feels that Aherns private loans are his own business, and who thinks his local TD does a good job, but hates racism, would it be okay for me to write?
    Way to go on missing the point.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Carphone Warehouse have withdrawn their sponsorship of the show....

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1247956,00.html

BaZmO* wrote:
    Way to go on missing the point.

But the point of this thread is complaints about the behaviour of someone on telly, not the Iraq conflict or the state of the nation's health crisis...

But the point of this thread is complaints about the behaviour of someone on telly, not the Iraq conflict or the state of the nation's health crisis...
    Missing the point again.

• Advertisement

Ignoring the thread again...

Have you anything to say about the merits of complaining about Jade's behaviour, without bringing international conflicts into it?

Ignoring the thread again...

Have you anything to say about the merits of complaining about Jade's behaviour, without bringing international conflicts into it?
    Are you related to Jade?

As Jermaine Jackson said last night, "There's no arguing with stupidity"

BaZmO* wrote:
    As Jermaine Jackson said last night, "There's no arguing with stupidity"

With respect, you can keep the abuse to PMs. You surely know the rules of the boards by now, and making comments about stupidity are not allowed. You may disagree with my points, in which case you can deal with the post, rather than patting yourself on the back on your percieved superior intellect.

Now, any chance of a comment about Jade and the merits of writing letters of complaint, without trying to bring in Bertie Ahern or patients on hospital trolleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

xzanti wrote:

True :)

Official announcement

Go Public Opinion :D

Now, any chance of a comment about Jade and the merits of writing letters of complaint, without trying to bring in Bertie Ahern or patients on hospital trolleys?
    I find it funny that you keep on asking for me to "comment about Jade and the merits of writing letters of complaint" (which I've done already - see my first post) but yet you yourself haven't commented on it despite you having posted 4 times in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

xzanti wrote:

interesting seems the ads have disappeared from e4 since about mid day, still have the logo on the website though, suppose it's good they're trying to make some point about what's happening

I still think the show is not promoting bullying or racism but highlighting it as a problem

Advertisement