Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance - Rented Apartment

Options
  • 18-01-2007 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering anyone has any experience or knowledge of the subject of house insurance in relation to rented accommodation.

I'm renting a two-bed apartment, my chief concern is contents. I don't care if the walls and roof fall in, or the place falls over (I'm sure my landlord has insurance for this anyway). I'm worried someone will break in and steal my personal possessions, which would be expensive to replace.

Is it possible to get contents-only insurance to protect against theft?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Yes. I have contents insurance through Axa. As far as I know they are the only company that will insure your contents if you are in a non-family house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

Mine is through 123.ie, and the actual insurance is from eagle star. Also covers stuff like camera, laptop and bike if they get stolen/lost when out n about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Cheers for the info! I actually sort of answered my own question after the browse around. The first couple of sites I looked up didn't seem to insure contents-only or rented properties (at least off the website), hence the thread.

Best quote so far is €102 from Quinn Direct. But they don't include damage/loss while you are out with said possessions, so I'll keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bear in mind that although your landlord will have insurance, it can only cover the building itself and anything that he owns in it (cookers, fridges, etc). In the event of a break-in, your landlord's insurance will never cover your possessions.

Advertisement