Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump for pressurising the house water supply

Options
  • 18-01-2007 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I'm having two bathrooms done in a typical recently-built 3-bed semi-d, and I've brought mixer taps from the continent.. They worked out much cheaper and were better quality than what I could find here... And this is where my troubles started.

Went into a couple of bathroom centres and I've been told that those are high-pressure taps that wouldn't work in Ireland unless I had a pump installed. I checked the installer's manual on one of them and it does say that pressurised water supply is needed, at least 0.5bar.

So now I'm being advised to get a pump installed to pressurise the water in the house, and this way get enough pressure for both bathrooms and the guest wc. I was also looking at power showers and apparently the pump would supply enouhg pressure for the showers too, so all I'd need is a thermostatic valve for them.

This doesn't sound too bad, but I'm worried about the noise, the maintenance and the placement of the pump.

Is adding a pump really a good idea?

I've heard from others (not the salesman obviously) that they're extremely noisy. Is this down to how the pump is installed, or the quality (manufacturer), in other words can the noise be taken care of?

I'm also worried about the reliability of the pump, obviously if it dies I won't be able to use any tap in the house except the kitchen sink and I won't have a working shower.

Also, where should they be installed? I'm worried that if they install the pump somewhere inaccessible that replacing or servicing it could mean taking up floorboards or otherwise messing up the entire house.

Do they need to be on all the time, or do they only come on when the taps/showers are on?

Of couse I could just get new taps that don't require a pressurised system and get the box-type power shower which includes the pump.

If anyone had any advice for me I'd really appreciate it, I don't want to make a huge mistake and I won't have a chance (or the money) to fix it afterwards.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

We had one in my birth home and it only came on when taps/showers were being used. It added some serious water pressure to the shower.

In my current new home I can't even have a shower in my ensuite because there is not enough water pressure, it's pathetic. Have to use the main bathroom shower which is just as bad but at least the water actually hits you.

I too am looking at a water pump.

The noise in the old house didn't really bother me too much as it was more of a constant hum that you got used to, not to mention only coming on when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The pump for our power shower is in the attic - and it is quite noisy. It comes on when the shower (or taps in your case) is turned on.
    Don't know much more about it.
    Jim.

Advertisement