Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants Tax Relief for short term rental

Options
  • 18-01-2007 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a tenant can claim tax relief for short term lettings? I am planning on renting an apartment for one week. I was reading this page (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/rents-and-tenancies/tax_relief_for_tenants) and it looks like I should be able to claim back 20% of the rental in tax credits. The landlord disagrees and is trying to talk me out of claiming. She says I don't qualify as she is letting the apartment out as a "tourist letting". I reckon she is probably not registered with the PRTB and not paying tax. Am I right or is there some loophole for landlords letting their property to "short term" tennants?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

If its your main residence for the week then yes you can claim.

But your misreading the information your claim will actually be 20% of the allowance value, which is currently about €400 in cash terms. 1/52nd of that, for your 1 week, is €13 in your hand. Still its a couple of pints I suppose.

On another point the Revenue will generally be quite happy to process the application without your landlords PRSI number as long as you can provide documentary backup of the rental, in my case they requested copies of my rent book. If the landlord is unregistered the Revenue will persue that independent of any claim you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

You won't actually get a cheque either. Because its during the current tax year, it will be given in the form of tax credits.

Advertisement