Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same old questions, but need some answers...

Options
  • 18-01-2007 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

A couple of us yanks are coming over to Dublin for 5 nights from Feb 7-12, and have general questions, so any help is appreciated

1. I have been to Brazen's Head and Stag's Head before, and was wondering what othe pub along those line should I take the fellows to when we visit.
    2. We are in our mid-30s (jesus, how can we be alive at such a progressed age :rolleyes: ), but what clubs have a good mix of 20s and 30s, or is more of a 30s, 40s scene? Been to Temple Bar, but frankly don't want to be trampled by the Stag and Hen parties all night.
    3. What clubs play "jukebox" music like we say in the states? On minute you might hear 50 cent, then the next you might here AC/DC, etc.. Also, what clubs play techno, so I know where to avoid?
    4. What chipper should I take the guys to, I have been to Leo Burdock's, and I like it a lot, but want some local advice.
    5. What are the best pubs around Croke Park for a pint or two before the France/Ireland match? If we cannot get a ticket, a good place to watch the game.
    6. Is the walk pretty safe from Ellis Quay to Temple Bar area? Or should we take the tram?

Thanks in advance.

tcc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I find your ok in Temple bar if you go early. Elephant and castle is great for Americans, they love it. (its not a chipper though) The Hairy Lemon plays the very music you are describing, also, any American friends I have taken there loved it. Regarding the clubs, no techno? I am not really sure, not to good on chippers either...

Cusacks (spelling) on North Strand is a great spot.

I reckon that walk is fine.

I hope they enjoy the stay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lightening wrote:
    Cusacks (spelling) on North Strand is a great spot.

You can always console yourself in Cusack's remembering that Matt Talbot used to drink there, so there's hope for us all yet.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

1. I have been to Brazen's Head and Stag's Head before, and was wondering what othe pub along those line should I take the fellows to when we visit.

- It depends on what you are looking for. O'Shea's near there, is good for Irish music for example.

2. We are in our mid-30s (jesus, how can we be alive at such a progressed age ), but what clubs have a good mix of 20s and 30s, or is more of a 30s, 40s scene? Been to Temple Bar, but frankly don't want to be trampled by the Stag and Hen parties all night.

-You could do worse than go to Bojangles on Harcourt Street, just off St. Stephen's Green. It gets and older crowd.

4. What chipper should I take the guys to, I have been to Leo Burdock's, and I like it a lot, but want some local advice.

- Burdocks is good. Perhaps try something completely different. The Mongolian Barbecue is a good place. It is near Temple Bar, just behind the Central Bank. It is not Mongolian food. Basically it is a bit like a buffet, which includes raw meat, fish, veg etc. You fill a bowl with what you want, add sauces etc. It is then thrown on to a large hot plate and cooked and then returned to you. You go off and eat it and then go up and do it all again. A sort of "Eat as much as you can" place, for one price. It doesn't matter what your taste in food is, as you can choose what you want. They have set times for sittings and you have to book in advance. A good night out. There is a hotel close by, Bloom's, which has a nice bar, The Vat, for a few drinks after. So you could do the 9pm sitting and head into The Vat after, on the Saturday night, where they usually have Irish music. It is a lively bar.

5. What are the best pubs around Croke Park for a pint or two before the France/Ireland match? If we cannot get a ticket, a good place to watch the game.

-First off, your chances of getting a ticket are very remote. Don't go near any of those guys selling them on the streets. So you are as good to pick a good pub in the city centre and watch the match there. All the pubs will have it on. Just get in early.

6. Is the walk pretty safe from Ellis Quay to Temple Bar area? Or should we take the tram?

Yes, the walk is safe enough. Walking is better as it is not far, so a waste of time waiting for a tram. You see more of a city if you do a lot of walking around it. The tram doesn't go particularly near Temple Bar anyway, so you wouldn't want to get it. Just cross over from Ellis Quay to the south quays and walk down along until you get to Temple Bar. Temple Bar isn't really much good for us 30s people. Try some of the pubs in other parts of the city. Experiment, which is half the fun of visiting a place anyway. You'll discover a few hidden gems.

Enjoy your visit and report back to us afterwards.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tcc_dc

Flukey wrote:

-First off, your chances of getting a ticket are very remote. Don't go near any of those guys selling them on the streets.

Is scalping tickets illegal in Ireland? They sell fake tickets? Or just that it would cost way too much?

If we did try to scalp, how much do they sell for?

tcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

tcc_dc wrote:
    Flukey wrote:

-First off, your chances of getting a ticket are very remote. Don't go near any of those guys selling them on the streets.

Is scalping tickets illegal in Ireland? They sell fake tickets? Or just that it would cost way too much?

If we did try to scalp, how much do they sell for?

tcc

We call them touts. "Anyone buying or selling a ticket?" they'll shout. The tickets may be fake, but probably won't be. Nevertheless, don't go near them. The tickets for the match, even at face value, are going to be expensive.

From the IRFU's website:
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Premium - €110;
    Stand - €80;
    Terrace - €30;
    Schoolboy/girls - €10

Ticket Distribution
    Tickets for Six Nations matches in Croke Park are distributed through the rugby clubs of Ireland; the Visiting Union will also receive an allocation for their own game which they will distribute through their own clubs. Tickets for the Irish away games will be distributed by the IRFU to the provincial branches who will distribute them through the rugby clubs. You must be a member of a rugby club in order to purchase tickets from them.
    [/FONT]

The touts will charge you far more. Save your money and watch it in a pub or hotel bar or somewhere else. You'll get a great atmosphere there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The Porterhouse in Temple Bar has a good mix of ages and the plus of brewing it's own beer! Check out the Red ale!! It has a good selection of music on the loop but it is not so loud as to make conversation impossible.

Avoid it after 11.00pm on Thursday and Friday though... that's when an idiot called Woodsey pretends to play the guitar and sing.

Stick with Burdocks if you are in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

dublin citys pretty much crap when it comes to chippers. bar burdocks i dont think there actually is one on the southside anywhere near walking distance of dame st.
    theres a place called del rios opposite the abbey theatre just off abbey st which does a good snax box and bacon quater pounder and another one who's name escapes me just off north earls street / talbot street (take a left when you get to end of north earls street coming from o connel st )which last time i was there did a massive breast of chicken and chips. TBH their both really little "diners" where your meant to eat in but they both started as chippers so you can still just go in and get a take away. i swear to god its impossible to get decent fast food in this city. :rolleyes:

as to the pubs you as well as the ones already mentioned you could do worse than the long stone or macturcals just behind pears street gardai station past the screen cinema and the mercantile or citi on dames street are ok though depending on the night can get too full.

cant help you with the clubs, avoid the city centre like the plague and i cant stand hip hop or r'n'b which takes up far too much dance time. your best bet for the music your talking about is to hit a 80's and 90's nite some where, think theres a place on harcourt street that does them. havent heard Guns'n'Roses in years let alone AC/DC. more's to the pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

turks head!
    yes i got to promote on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tony99

Hi TCC. I'm also from DC but will be going over to Dublin this Saturday - first time home in 3 years. I have an Ipod question for the locals. Can I (a) upload songs using my Ipod(bought in U.S.) but on my relatives computer,and (b) recharge on same computer. Or do I need a special adapter due voltage difference? Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

tony99 wrote:
    Hi TCC. I'm also from DC but will be going over to Dublin this Saturday - first time home in 3 years. I have an Ipod question for the locals. Can I (a) upload songs using my Ipod(bought in U.S.) but on my relatives computer,and (b) recharge on same computer. Or do I need a special adapter due voltage difference? Tony

Ipods and computers should be the same all over the world. The only difference is in the size of the transformer for the computer (the bit attached to the plug). Charging & downloading shouldn't be any different here than in America (except you will probably be colder doing it!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

tony99 wrote:

i got my ipod from new york and it works perfectly so you shouldnt have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bettyboo2u

Hi tcc_dc

Hope you have a great time when you come to Dublin. Here are just a few suggestions for you. If you need anymore details or suggestions feel free to ask.

St. Michan's Church: near the Four Courts. Mummified bodies and Handle practiced the Messiah here.

Collins Barracks: National Museum of Ireland - Decorative Arts & History
    www.museum.ie/decorative/findus.asp

www.nationalgallery.ie National Gallery of Ireland, Merrion Square West & Clare Street

Christchurch and Dublin Castle. Beautiful buildings and great history

Government Buildings: There are guide tours of the building on Saturdays only. They're free and you can get tickets from the nearby National Gallery on the day.

Moor Street. It is a bit of a dump but the mix of cultures there is great to see.

Phoenix Park: Largest enclosed park in Europe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Park

Dublin Zoo: Worth a visit it’s in the Phoenix Park

Árus an Uachtaráin, The official residence of the President of Ireland. The American Ambassadors residence is across the road so you could pop in and say hi!

Kilmainham Jail: You will be moved by this place.

Howth: A lovely fishing port. 9 Miles from the city. Take the Dart

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

tcc_dc wrote:
    A couple of us yanks are coming over to Dublin for 5 nights from Feb 7-12, and have general questions, so any help is appreciated

2. We are in our mid-30s (jesus, how can we be alive at such a progressed age :rolleyes: ), but what clubs have a good mix of 20s and 30s, or is more of a 30s, 40s scene? Been to Temple Bar, but frankly don't want to be trampled by the Stag and Hen parties all night.
    3. What clubs play "jukebox" music like we say in the states? On minute you might hear 50 cent, then the next you might here AC/DC, etc.. Also, what clubs play techno, so I know where to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

tcc

Hi Tcc, there's good music in Doyles on Fleet st, it's a late bar, stays open until 2 or so and plays a very good mix of music....as the other posters said, tickets for the France match will be hard to get, the touts will be looking for 300+ each for them and the pubs around croke park will be jammed, staying in town is your best bet...for a good chipper, try Cinellis at the north end of O'Connell st, old fashioned Italian chipper...for a club, I'd suggest the Gaiety theatre, great mix of music spread over several rooms, opens around midnight, stays open until 3 or 4...all of town is pretty safe to walk around if you're reasonably careful...

Advertisement