Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Immaculate college

Options
  • 18-01-2007 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hey whats the general consensus about Mary I around here? I'm looking for feedback regarding what the college is like, are people enjoying it there, is anyone else considering going up there after the Leaving cert. I'm hearing mixed reports elsewhere.
    All responses greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

GretchenWieners and An_Fhile are both hoping to go there.

What are you applying for? I'm hoping to get into UL, big move time!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've done work experience, work shadowing and a week of revision courses in Mary I in the last two years and all were very positive. I'm hoping to do the B.Ed there next year, as Rozabeez already mentioned. Three friends of mine are up there at the moment and they've told me nothing but good things about it. Some people see the comparatively small number of students there as a down-side, but the plus of that is the atmosphere is friendlier as you come into contact with the same groups of people fairly often. What course are you thinking of doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Its not me actually, a friend of mine applied for the B.Ed and wanted to know what the consensus on Mary I was. So I said I'd help him out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You mean there are TWO boys applying to Mary I next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

In Mary I atm..2nd yr B.Ed..just finished infant TP today..whoooo!!

Hmmm..I just had this conversation with few frnds when we headed to the pub in UL after coming out of school there..we were chatting about Mary I and saying 'If only it was out in UL..twud be great! Way more people, more chilled, more facilities!!!!!!!!!!

Mary I..mainly girls..only for the arts course being in Mary I aswell we'd really have no lads:D Nothing really modern about it..(oh actually, a brand new gym building was built/finished there about 2weeks ago, hvnt been in yet, looks nice tho!) Very small campus (err, there is no campus actually..just two main buildings, and 5 prefabs)...it grand tho..as someone said earlier it easy to make frnds..theres about 8groups in every year and each contains about 70 people..i still hvnt even spoken to some ppl in my group..you form groups/own frnds..The course only three years so ul be outa the place before ya know it!

We're very near the city tho..in short walking distance..so its good if u wana pop into town..wheras ppl in UL wud have to get a bus in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I honestly don't know how anyone would want to be a primary school teacher. Maybe in some fantasy Ireland where kids are cute and innocent and give meaning to your life. But dealing with actual kids on a daily basis? I'd go cracked!
    Ah well, glad I'm not doing primary teaching lol. Or having children...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Rozabeez wrote:
    You mean there are TWO boys applying to Mary I next year?
    Yo Roe there will be 3! James is going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭daithiocondun

I can only comment from a BA perspective. Just finished 1st year. Mary I is grand. Needs a lot of work done to the older part of the college, which is looking jaded and knackered now. The new multi purpose building is cool. The canteen is nice, but far too expensive! The college appears ver religious with statues of the virgin mary, a chapel, nuns, priests etc but if u are not of that persuasion then there is no problem or pressure.

We are really near the city, 15 mins walk. City Campus student accommodation is a also about 10 mins walk from the college. It is 80 euro a week this year coming. Its modern, spacious, secure and there are always taxis floating around on nights out. Back to the college though, there is a good "togetherness" ethos in Mary I, a trait not seen so much in larger colleges like UL. In Mary I you are less of a number and more of a person, with many lecturers and tutors knowing the students on a first name basis. The lecturers are among the best around, the cream of the crop in many cases. Dr. John McDonagh, Dr. Rik Van Nieuvanhove, Dr. Stephan Thornton and Dr. Chris Lawn being my top 4 hence far.

For prospective BAs, do Philosophy in 1st year if not absolutely sure of your 4 choices. It will actually change the way u think, I promise! English is interesting but difficult to get a good grade unless u work really hard. Media has a high failure rate but is suppossed to be challenging and interesting. Geography carries a big work load, with History depending more on essays than exams. Psychology is generally not what people expect so take note. Theology is very interesting with a moderate work load in first year, but this load is more than compensated for in semester 2 by a very challenging course content. Apologies if all this seems very difficult, it isnt really. Just be wary of your sibject choices, particularly as there are limitations in 2nd year choices which u must be aware of e.g. one cannot do French and Theologu to degree level.

For the lads, there is an average 7/1 boy/girl ratio which is nice! For the girls, you have a fight on ur hands, made harder by the fairly representative number of homosexual males in Mary I! Night life is good, with Mary I taking over Trinity rooms every thursday nite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mary Dry, Virgin Megastore etc etc :D

Advertisement