Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop freezes

• 18-01-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi All..
    I have a new Laptop Amilo pro v2085.. Its about 6 mths old and ever since i got it it freezes after one hour of work and i have to shut it down by holding down power button... I rang F/SIEMENS Helpdesk and they toleme to try it in Safe mode.. I did and all was ok for 2 hrs.. They said then tha it was a software problem.. I have done a/virus scan, spyware scans 3 (spybot,ewido,adaware..) What else should i doo.. Running xp pro sp2, 512 ram, Have done all updates and wondering what can i do now... If i do a system restore will this help...:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try running memtest. Could be an overheating problem, is the laptop running very hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mickymc

Thanks ruu for reply... Not excessive heating.. why dont it do it in safe mode then... it works fine in safe mode..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well System Restore will just roll your system back to a certain time and date but since it has been happening since you got it, that probably won't help. Is there a certain program you are running when it freezes or something different all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭trojaneater1

hi,
    An educated guess would say that your processor is faulty.......
    BTW. when it freezes, does it make a noise?

Thanks guys... It freezes on different applications all the time... When it freezes the fan comes on sometimes... Its puzling that it did not happen in safe mode though..I can use it perfect for 1 hour or so...:confused: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

An educated guess would say that your processor is faulty.......

Just where exactly were you educated? I seriously doubt it is the processor.

Especially since it doesn't happen in Safe Mode.

mickymc - it sounds like some kind of software conflicts. Are there a lot of programs in the System Tray (bottom-right of the screen)? Do you have a load of programs running at start up (check msconfig)? Do you have any DVD/CD writer software running in the system tray?

Can you open up Task Manager (control-alt-delete)? See if one program is hogging the CPU @ 100%.

Thanks For The reply tom dunne...

Are there a lot of programs in the System Tray (bottom-right of the screen)? Do you have a load of programs running at start up (check msconfig)? Do you have any DVD/CD writer software running in the system tray?
    no not many progs running in sys tray..
    no dvd writer software eitherrunning there

Can you open up Task Manager (control-alt-delete)? See if one program is hogging the CPU @ 100%.
    When i do this there is not much difference between my other Laptop..

I think that i will just doo a full reinstall of operating system to see if that will solve it...:confused:

Advertisement