Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon- 4th June 2007

Options
  • 18-01-2007 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I've managed to talk myself into signing up for the Cork City Marathon on 4th of June next. This will be my first marathon so, honestly, I'm sh**ing bricks.

Anybody else going to sign up? Hows the training going?
    Somebody reassure me that it'll all be worth it. Please!!!

Mr.Tea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Hi Mr Tea,
    Welcome to boards and marathon running. I will be doing this race. I'm going to start training for it pretty soon. Have you done much running at shorter distances? If you've got any questions, fire away. I'm not promising answers but I'll try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Well, I'm knocking around 2 miles a go, twice or three times a week. Ready to add on the miles no. Have researched a few training schedules and have settled on one that looks suitable for a newbee.
    You've done a marathon before then?
    I'm confident that if I can do 9 or 10 miles reasonably comfortable, then I'll be ok for the marathon. I mean, I realsise its going to be hard and all, but it should be finishable (if thats even a word).
    Have done Ballycotton (10m) before and doing this year again (March) so that should be a good marker.
    Finding hard to pick out decent running routes in the city. DOn't want to stray into any dodgy areas in the dark. Thank god the evenings are getting brighter. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

I would love to do this. Don't think i have the stamina or the confidence to be sure i could do it. (That or i'm just too lazy to put in the work) I run/jog perhaps 2 miles 1- 3 miles a week, maybe more if i'm in the mood, maybe less if i'm not.

Good luck with the training.

W
    I'm confident that if I can do 9 or 10 miles reasonably comfortable, then I'll be ok for the marathon.

I'm not sure I follow your logic there. A marathon is essentially a race of two halves. An easy first half for 20 miles and a difficult second half of 6.2 miles.

I run 5-6 matrathons every year. I only race one a year and it's going to be Cork this year as some male friends of mine are going to do it and I've got to beat them :D

I'm not actually from Cork (partner is) so I'm still getting to know the city. There is a nice 10 km loop starting from the lee fields beside the county hall. I'll ask hmself exactly where it goes. If you really want to be safe go and do laps of the track but that's not for everyone. Persnally I do a lot of threadmill running at this time of year. Again that's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

I have also signed up.Have never ran one before and I am able to run about four-five miles now so there is a lot of running ahead.I have been thinking of nice runs that I can do when I am up to maybe about ten miles or so and they are
    1. starting at the Lee fields and out to the Anglers rest and around the Lee road and back to the Lee Fields(maybe 8 miles)
    2.Carrigaline to Cross haven Had back to Carrigaline(about 10 miles in total)
    3.Kennedy Pk(Boggy Road) down Center Pk road onto the Marina and along the old railway line where you end up in rochestown(about 10-13 miles)
    Any other routes that people will be using as training please post them for the marathon virgins.Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

I'm running it, started taking training serious from the 1st Jan, if your looking for some good routes around the City check out www.mapmyrun.com and search for cork city. There are a good few routes, and it uses google maps to plot your route which is pretty damn cool.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/search.php?txtPageNumber=1&txtSortBy=average_rating+desc&txtKeyword=cork&txtCity=&lstState=&lstCountry=ei&btnSearch=+SEARCH+%3E+

thats the search for cork and its been updated with a proposed route for the actual marathon too http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ireland/cork/178737585

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

theres a good crowd do the lee fields, lee road run daily from the mardyke arena at lunchtime if you want company or advice.good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i had been hoping to do half of it (in a relay with a mate), and had just started training, but i broke my ankle playing five a side on wednesady night, so thats out :(

best of luck to everyone who's training for it, ill do it next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

this is the first Cork Marathon since 1986 I believe. if this is your first marathon why wait til Feb to start...start today! By giving yourself more time to train you are building in some contingency for injuries etc...without it affecting your training schedule too much. good luck and most of all, enjoy it.

• Advertisement

this guy has some brilliant training schedules...I use his plans all the time:

http://www.halhigdon.com/

Also, check out Google Map Pedometer - it allowas you map out your route and it measures it for you.
    I reckon i'll do the marina-rochestown route for weekend runs and when the evenings geta bit longer. I was shocked to discover that that route (from slap bang in the city centre, via marina, all the way to rochestown is only around 5 miles, one way. It's kind of scary to think of that!!

Yeah, I'd agree with the above poster..if you plan to do it, then you've got to make astart now. No use wasting time that you won't be able to make up later!

Proposed Marathon route has been changed from the provisional one released a few months back. The new one hasn't yet been released, un fortunately they haven't made it any shorter :)

Would be good to keep this thread going to act as a sort of support group/motivational device/source of advice for those of us who've signed up.

In the immortal words of John Spillane:
    "Will we be brilliant or what?"

I agree, it would be good to keep this thread going during the build up to the big day but perhaps it would be more suited to the 'Athletics' forum??

yep, the Marina - Rochestown is short! It seems longer which is a pain because you have to either double back on the route or head into Rochestown for extra mileage. What I do is turn left at Harty's Quay and head for Passage West, there is a nice walkway from Hop Island leading all through Passage and on towards Monkstown..nice river side running with a cooling breeze all the way. On my long runs I would then continue from Monkstown towards Rafeen and on to Ringaskiddy and then take the back road from there into Carrigaline and then back to Passage where I suffer cardiac arrest after all that poisoning whilst running thru Ringaskiddy ;-)

SO, what do people think of the new route?
    Its available to download at www.corkcitymarathon.ie

Will take in a trip through the Jack Lynch Tunnel and over the new Mardyke pedestrian bridge.

I like the look of it. Hugs much tighter to the city than the earlier draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

started training properly today, to be honest not looking forward to the next few months!

can do about 10/12k at the moment. (wouldn't say 'comfortably' exactly, but its not complete hell either!)

using the 18 week program on this site http://www.halhigdon.com/. (as mentioned earlier, great site).

i think that last 3rd is going to be pretty tough...

You'll be a lot fitter at that stage, so it may be that this week when you are least fit is the hardest.

Is anyone willing to predict their times yet?

Apparently you've got seven hours to complete it before they open up the road again. So, I'm hoping for slightly less than that :)

Seriously though, at this stage, with it being my first marathon, I'd say four hours would be a very good result.

Question for you all:
    Anybody else sign up for the Ballycotton 10? and have you heard back from them yet? I've heard nothing and getting woried.

No I've not heard anything back yet either. A friend who has done it before said about 2 week beforehand is all the notice you get? I was out that way recently....It's very hilly!

Ah its not too bad. Most of the course is nice and flat. It's downhill out of the village, a flat loop pf the surrounding countryside then back into the village up a long, gently slopping hill. That last mile (slightly) uphill is a killer though. Really grinds you down.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mr T, I don't know the route just my impression of the shole area was hilly! It's only 10 miles, I'm sure we'll survive.

Speak for yourself :)

Ballycotton entries are up and I'm in :-)
    http://www.ballycottonrunning.com/

I'm in too! Sweet!

How's the training going everybody?

I'm doing a long weekend run (6 miles) every weekend now, as well as two shorter runs (2-3miles) during the week. With the evenings getting longer, I'd hope to increase those weekday runs in distance.
    Have to say, I'm surprised how well its going and how addictive it is - increasing distance slowly but steadily.

Keep on running people!!

MrTea, looks like you're right on track. I know what you mean about addictive. There really is nothing like the feeling you have when you get back from a really good run.

I'm just back from an 18 miler. Don't worry, Cork virigns don't need to be doing those distances yet. I've other races coming up.

MrTea, looks like you're right on track. I know what you mean about addictive. There really is nothing like the feeling you have when you get back from a really good run.

..hmm, wait until you start hitting the 17 miler and 20 miler training runs :D Nah, you are right, if a long run goes well then it's a great feeling at the end of it.

a 20 miler isn't even my longest run this week ;)

Much as us first-timers enjoy the "my run is bigger than your run" banter:mad: ......

the Cork City Marathon Website has been updated with lots more information.

www.corkcitymarathon.ie

Much as us first-timers enjoy the "my run is bigger than your run" banter:mad: ......

ouch, that's a bit nasty. You did ask how training was going.

• Advertisement

the Cork City Marathon Website has been updated with lots more information.

www.corkcitymarathon.ie

ah don't worry Alejandro Ancient Fur, the more U practice the bigger it will get :D

Advertisement