Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon- 4th June 2007

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

ah don't worry MrTea, the more U practice the bigger it will get :D

Ah sure size isn't everything. It's what you do with it that counts :)

Got my Race Pack for Ballycotton this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yep, got my Ballycotton Pack yesterday. I hope the weather will be decent for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Did everyone enjoy Ballycotton yesterday. The weather was very kind to stop raining just long enough for the race.

yeah I enjoyed it. delighted the rain held off but the wind was tough but nice when it was on our backs for the last 2 miles. Mug #2 now!

mug number one for me. It was also my first 10 mile race. It's a god distance.

I was well up in the women's contingent. Pity they don't give 1st 50 of each gender tee shirts instead of just top 100.... Oh well, I just need to get faster I guess!

• Advertisement

I suppose we should never have doubted that the weather would behave itself for the race- this is Ballycotton after all!
    Those last two miles were a killer. The question I have to answer is: can I step it up to 26miles by June??? I'm sooo not sure!!

yes you can. Pacing is everything for your first marathon. If you felt knackered after yesterday then you probably set off to hard. Try the same distance at a more moderate pace next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

yes you can. Pacing is everything for your first marathon. If you felt knackered after yesterday then you probably set off to hard. Try the same distance at a more moderate pace next weekend.
    Thanks hunny.
    No, I didn't set off too hard, I made that mistake the first time I ran it- a few years ago now. Steady all around, but that incline at the end sapped it out of me.
    The more I think about it, I do very little hill work in my training so that may well be a serious weakness. That being said, I'm not sure how much hilly terrain there will be in the marathon. I reckon from mahon to the lough could be fairly tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Andy27981

Hi All

(thanks hunnymonster for pointing me this way)

Right yeah - im up for this too. Will be travelling from limerick - cant see any info on site re race registration etc. Anyone know if it is day before or will we be able to travel down that morning?

I ran Dublin last year - an amazing feeling when crossing that finish line - I was high for a week afterwards.

I got injured before the dub marathon which effected my performance - so a cunning injury avoiding plan is required this time. Plenty of cycling, track and treadmill running this time I think. Concrete streets are very unforgiving when running 20 odd miles in training.

and yes it is a race of two halfs - the enjoyable 15 - 18 miles and the last 6/7 miles of PAIN ! yes PAIN ! all worth it though :D

hope all the training is going well fo ye....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 andreasklein

see..that's my idea of challenging activity...signing up for a marathon like the Cork or Dublin one..
    but others like to take it to the extreme...check out what some people set out to accomplish...
    http://132000yards.com

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/cork/356227594

The marathon course showing elevation etc.

The race that always gets me is 24 hour ultra runs. The winner is the person who has covered the most distance in the 24 hours. I would find it very tough to not have a definite finish line. I can't ever see myself doing one of those. Mind you I've said similar things about all sorts of silly events that I've gone on to do:rolleyes:

Dave, why are you not doing Cork?

So just a week to go. Hope training has gone well for everyone. I'm looking forward to this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

For anyone who's running, I'll be the eejit out the front with the clock on his jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

oi ned, any chance you might have a spare seat in that jeep for me & my camera(s)?

I wish Ryan, we'd a meeting with the Examiner/Echo people yesterday, and we're under strict rules about who goes in the vehicles. We've 3 cars running through the event, and I've one of the main organisers with me. Sorry buddy! :(

oh tits.. thanks anyway. Looks like I'll be running it myself with about 6kgs of camera then

• Advertisement

Best of Luck to all those running the marathon. I hope ye are all injury free and have a great marathon.
    For all the first timers keep the head down, pace yourselves nice and easy and cherish the moment as U cross the finishing line...it's some feeling.

I will be out on the course with my camera and a handful of PowerBar Gels...I would sooo like to be running it but I the NYC marathon to start training for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

ned78 wrote:
    For anyone who's running, I'll be the eejit out the front with the clock on his jeep.

i'll also be there driving in my jeep.:cool:

Well then, say hi!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It amazes me that there aren't signs up on the affected roads telling people that there will be a marathon passing through. This would help drivers but also encourage people to come along and look. Before teh London marathon affected streets had info signs letting folk know that they would be closed etc.

This is what the road closures section on the Corpo Website says:

"Monday 4th June 2007

The Cork City Marathon takes place today Monday and a large number of streets will be closed. St. Patrick’s Street will be closed from 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. to facilitate the start and finish of the race. Other Streets will be closed as the race progresses. Streets will be reopened as soon as it is possible. "

loads of info there eh ? Not even a link to the marathon site....

Congratulations to all those who took part in the event yesterday. It was a great day and the buzz about the place was excellent. Pity the national media gave it hardly any mention :mad:

I was out with my camera and took these pics at various locations along the route:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenn_dollard/sets/72157600311443638

I'm with U totally on this daveirl, OK the women's mini marathon (I hate that phrase - mini marathon!) was a huge event but considering the Cork marathon is the first in 21 years I would have expected some decent coverage of it..Paris Hilton going to jail got more coverage...rte and tv3 just playing to the dubs as usual.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... "****ing dubs!"

I emailed the news desk in RTE about it, not that it will do much..
    Here it is anyway:

I am writing to tell you how frustrated I am with the poor coverage the Cork City Marathon received in yesterday evening's news bulletins. Seeing as this was the first time Cork as played host to a full marathon in 21 years I would have expected some decent coverage from our so called 'National' broadcaster.

The Flora Women's Mini-marathon received good coverage, was this because it was based in Dublin?
    The RTE studios in Cork is located only 5 minutes from the start and finish of the Cork Marathon, there is no excuses for such pathetic coverage, perhaps it should be moved to Dublin for the convenience of RTE!

I wish to point out that I am in no way associated with the organising committee of the Cork City Marathon.

• Advertisement

Advertisement