Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon- 4th June 2007

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

All i can say is fair play to anyone who took part in it. the relay teams but especially the people who did the whole route..in that heat!! my god, i was out and about there all day and was amazed at the eventual turnout, it was an excellent successful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The reply from the RTE Baboons..

Thank you for your email about the Cork City marathon and the Dublin City mini marathon.

I understand your frustration but I would like to assure you that the decision as to the prominence of the two events on last night's bulletins had nothing to do with the fact that one happened in Cork and the other in Dublin.

The women's mini marathon and the Cork marathon were treated in different ways because they were different kinds of event. The mini marathon was a charity popular event with about 10,000 people taking part. It was covered in the main body of the news bulletin. The Cork marathon was a genuine sports event with about 2,000 people taking part. It was covered in the Sports section of the bulletin and was given the same coverage as a similar sports event.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We value feedback and your points will be brought up at our editorial meetings.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Good

Managing Editor

RTE News

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I don't know if anyone from teh marathon office reads this but I have to say that that was probably the best organised, best supported marathon I've run. Well done to everyone involved and to Corkonians for getting out in such numbers over pretty much the entire course!

I don't know if anyone from teh marathon office reads this but I have to say that that was probably the best organised, best supported marathon I've run. Well done to everyone involved and to Corkonians for getting out in such numbers over pretty much the entire course!

I emailed them just to say congrats...always nice to say well done for a job well done. Let's hope it grows from strength to strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Thank you for your email about the Cork City marathon and the Dublin City mini marathon.

I understand your frustration but I would like to assure you that the decision as to the prominence of the two events on last night's bulletins had nothing to do with the fact that one happened in Cork and the other in Dublin.

The women's mini marathon and the Cork marathon were treated in different ways because they were different kinds of event. The mini marathon was a charity popular event with about 10,000 people taking part. It was covered in the main body of the news bulletin. The Cork marathon was a genuine sports event with about 2,000 people taking part. It was covered in the Sports section of the bulletin and was given the same coverage as a similar sports event.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We value feedback and your points will be brought up at our editorial meetings.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Good

Managing Editor

RTE News

well that seem fair enough, 10,000 people running for charity versus 2,000 running for the sake of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was in town yesterday watching the people finish the thing, we were waiting for one of the lads to cross the line. All i can say is fair fups to ye all, i was sweating and tired from standing in the heat for over an hour, dunno how people managed 4 hrs or more of constant jogging... Well done all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh and regarding the poor media coverage, just wait until the Dublin City Marathon in October, see what sort of coverage RTE give it... Then you'll be able to compare like with like...

(although if memory serves they give that loads of coverage too, don't they?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

course they do, it's in Dublin!

well they will give it a bit of coverage (more than 1 minute!) but all in all their coverage of the Dublin City Marathon is poor also..media in this country seems to be hung up on crap like celeb events and anything wearing an Arnott's Jersey. I feel the Dublin City marathon should be televised live, it is a great advertisement for sport and exercise (but maybe the numbers tuning in on a bank holiday monday wouldn't make it feasible, they are too busy in bed with hangovers..yes the old paddy Irish way alright).

If you want to see how to properly cover a live marathon event take a look at how the BBC cover the Flora London Marathon...top class coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The DUblin Marathon is usually shown on Setanta a couple of days after the event.

I have to agree with Amadeus and say it was a very well run race. One of the people involved in the race said that Gina Johnson had been practically sleeping in her office for the last two weeks :-) Well done to all the volunteers and supporters and of course to everyone who actually ran.

Now who do I talk to about getting a hill moved in time for next year ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I did the Dublin Marathon 2 years ago and thought it was well organised. Some of the route was not pretty and it was awful the way some of the roads were not closed off and we had to run along the side in between the footpath and some bollards as Dublin Bus buses were chugging fumes beside us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement