Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF2142 Booster Pack Details

Options
  • 18-01-2007 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Got the details from straferight

Info about the upcoming Battlefield 2142 Booster Pack entitled Northern Strike before the source site (bf-eastage.gamespy.com) went dark:

The PAC (Pan Asian Coalition) has secretly moved into northern and central Europe, using abandoned urban areas to establish new strongholds. Intense close-quarters warfare awaits the EU forces when they mobilize troops for a full-force assault to claim back their land. The Battlefield 2142: Northern Strike™ Booster Pack brings all-out infantry-focused battles into new snow-covered battlegrounds across Europe.

Three new maps provide the setting for the Booster Pack. High up in the Alps the EU uses launch pods to launch an assault on a PAC Titan docking harbour on the map Port Bavaria. Bridge at Remagen, the scene for one of WWII’s major battles, is once again the setting for intense battles as both sides fight to secure the bridge. Finally, night has fallen when the EU launches their assault on the city in the Liberation of Leipzig.

Battlefield 2142: Infantry Storm offers an asymmetrical vehicle set-up with one new vehicle available to each army. The heavy IFV Goliath is a massive, slow-moving firing platform available to the EU, the attacking side, only. It is used to provide cover, as well as health and ammunition, to nearby infantrymen. The fast-moving hovering light IFV Speeder, available to the defending PAC only, is an efficient vehicle killer when staffed by a well coordinated pilot/gunner team.

With ten new unlocks, also available in the core game, and ten new awards, Battlefield 2142: Infantry Storm offers unprecedented persistence for a Booster Pack and makes the Battlefield 2142 experience deeper than ever before.
    The epic Titan mode introduced in Battlefield 2142 is available on two maps, and for the first time in an urban setting. All maps also feature Conquest mode with a tweaked Conquest Assault set-up, in which the attacking army (the EU) now has to conquer all control points before taking the enemy’s main base. Welcome to the future of war!
    Key Features
    * Fast–paced, infantry-focused gameplay boosts the intensity of the all-out war experience.
    * Three new maps set in Europe, where snow-covered post-apocalyptic cities and a ridge in the Alps become the new battlegrounds.
    * Two brand-new vehicles designed to support infantry combat available in an asymmetrical set-up, with the hovering light IFV Speeder available to the PAC and the massive heavy IFV Goliath available to the EU.
    * Increased persistence. Ten new rewards and ten new unlock items at the top of the unlocks trees, available also on core game maps, take persistence to new levels. Unlock credits earned in the booster pack can also be used in the core game.
    * Epic Titan mode available on two maps, and for the first time in a urban setting, for more intense Titan gameplay.
    * Tweaked Conquest-assault gameplay (Assault Lines game mode) on all three maps creates more choke points and more heated battles.
    * New use of pods gives infantry additional ways of moving across the maps quickly
    * Requires Battlefield 2142 PC to play.
    ** Internet connection required
    Product Specifications
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Developer: Digital Illusions (Dice)
    Ship Date: Spring 2007
    Category: Multiplayer First-Person Shooter
    Rumors have this booster pack priced at $10 (the same as the two previous packs for Battlefield 2), no word yet though on whether it will only be available via EA Link, or if hard copies will be distributed as well. To check out the original FeverGaming thread, click here.

Sounds like there's 2 packs. Nothern Strike with 3 new maps and Infantry Storm with 2 new vehicles. I guess it's time to get EA link.
    Details don't sound too bad eh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sounds cool but after the wastes that were euroforces and armoured fury, is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

just seems to be one booster (the northern strike).

Curious about the new unlocks on offer. Hope they are still balanced (jetpacks? :D) and the titan city maps sound good.

I didnt bother with the ones for BF2 but Im liking the sound of this one. pity it wasnt a freebie though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I agree I like the sound of this, new unlocks are always fun. Also a big fan of seige type maps in the game, so these are a nice addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Buadhach

Here's a video trailer for the pack showing off the Speeder.
    Looks cool going slalom style thru the map.

Also EA will be hosting a closed beta for Northern Strike. Details TBA here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

looks cool alright. seems a bit less pointless then the bf2 booster packs

Unlocks Details. some dude on gamesfaqs posted these, but his links were text not urls. so ta to him.

The motion mine bait thing looks very handy. sniper decoy looks interesting too. The support shotgun, still trying to get my head around it.

- Squad Leader :http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/squadleader.jpg

- Support's Infantry Sonar :
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/sonar.jpg

- Support's Shotgun : http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/shotgun.jpg

- Recon's Sniper Decoy : http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/sniper.jpg

- Recon's Camo Upgrade: http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/camo.jpg

- Engineer's Mine Bait : http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/HERE.jpg

- Engineer's SMG Clip Extension : http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/3.jpg

- Assault's Radar Smoke Grenade : http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/2.jpg

- Assault's Rifle Extender: http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/1.jpg

- Player Ability : http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/boot.jpg

Badges & Medals:

- http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/10.jpg
    - http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/9.jpg
    - http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/8.jpg
    - http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/7.jpg
    - http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/6.jpg
    - http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/5.jpg
    - http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/travis_dylan/4.jpg

Sniper decoy - We're getting blow up dolls!!! with guns! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

haha...booster packs, i cant believe ea are still doing this. You know noones going to be playing them in a months time after release anyway so why bother. For less than half the price of a regular expansion pack, you can get content roughly of half the quality of your average expansion pack which is roughly half the quality of the main game! Thats one quarter of the quality of 2142 which is less than half the quality of BF2 which was about half the quality of BFV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Buadhach

0ubliette, I know complex maths when I see it and I think you'll find it explained here:
    ca1101_gr_26.gif
    which proves it's worth .4999 the quality of BFV!

the RPU sounds cool. anything to cut down that 15 secs.
    Clark RDX - Firing sticky rdx from a rifle....Hell yes!! This one I want.
    Fire onto the enemy solider following his buddies down a titan corridor and BOOM, the whole squad gets it! LOL
    Either way it'll be easier to get the walker with this.

• Advertisement

Buadhach wrote:
    0ubliette, I know complex maths when I see it and I think you'll find it explained here:
    ca1101_gr_26.gif
    which proves it's worth .4999 the quality of BFV!
    Excellent....a mathematical formula that finally proves bfv was the best game in the series :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

im all for booster packs, and by the looks of it this is going to be a doozy.

if you dont want/like it dont buy it and stay quiet.

jaggeh wrote:
    dont buy it and stay quiet.

YES MASSUH!! DOAN WHUP DISERE BLACK BOY!!! AH BES A GOOD SERVANT MASSUH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

0ubliette wrote:
    Excellent....a mathematical formula that finally proves bfv was the best game in the series :D

BFV is by far the most fun game of the series. Also it awarded those proficient in the game, as where you shoot you hit.

BFV is by far the most fun game of the series. Also it awarded those proficient in the game, as where you shoot you hit.

I think its a matter of taste as to which is the most fun, I find 2142 the best craic I've had online in years. As for the awards, it doesnt stop me from playing as a team player, although, i must admit there are a few too many n00bs out there. How many times must a fella ask for a supply drop to fix a walker before he does it? sigh.

Thanks to MR EA who gratiously gave me a free download key I tried 2142 and found it to be a game seriously lacking in team play. To look at its nice, but again full of bugs.

There is little or no team play on it what so ever, its awards system leads players to do their own thing to achieve their own objective. I uninstalled it the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I don't understand the allure of 'booster packs' myself. Other developers release patches which include the kind of extra weapons/maps etc. you would see in one of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lol, I saw this coming a mile away.

For everybody who buys this listen closely.

Ea are charging you for new items and maps that any other publisher/developer will release for free after a game comes out for around a year of support.

Ea are putting Ad's into your games to make themselves more money at no monetary benefit to the consumer.

Ea are creating Mods to their games and releasing them as new releases at no major cost to there business yet not passing any of these savings onto the consumer. (BfV+BF2142)

At what point will you take a stand? When they decide to charge you for patching their bug ridden games? Or will you pay for that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Fidelis wrote:
    I don't understand the allure of 'booster packs' myself. Other developers release patches which include the kind of extra weapons/maps etc. you would see in one of these things.

its been coming for years. micro-payments are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

jaggeh wrote:
    micro-payments are in.
    I hear you, and while I just barely understand the appeal of episodic content, I strongly oppose it. However, micro-payments after your initial €50 purchase is ludicrous. It's up to the consumer to stop this trend. If nobody buys it, they'll stop doing it :)
    krazy_8s wrote:
    When they decide to charge you for patching their bug ridden games? Or will you pay for that too?
    Shhh! EA might hear you and get ideas! ;)

• Advertisement

Bugs, pah i just think back to the original hidden and Dangerous and the bug where you guys drop dead for no reason whatsoever on the 2nd set of missions, it took 4-5 patches to sort that one out. Or No mercy for the N64 that randomly decided to wipe your saveed data. you kids have it easy.

As for the whole teamplay, if anything it promotes, i was never bothered giving orders with BF2, but when i got 43 squad leader succes points in 1 round, i'm playing more as a team than ever. a bonus point for squad leader when an enemy is killed within the area you've ordered to attack. A bonus point for killing an enemy within raidus of your squad, reviving one of your squad, damage assist, healing(is there a resupply bonus?). you also got the squad leader badge, gold is 600 squadleader succes points and 30 spawn on your spawn beacon in a round. then theres the squad beacon quiet possibly the greatest squadplay idea ever. Play squads properly or long enough and then give an opinion on it.

Bugs, pah i just think back to the original hidden and Dangerous and the bug where you guys drop dead for no reason whatsoever on the 2nd set of missions, it took 4-5 patches to sort that one out. Or No mercy for the N64 that randomly decided to wipe your saveed data. you kids have it easy.

As for the whole teamplay, if anything it promotes, i was never bothered giving orders with BF2, but when i got 43 squad leader succes points in 1 round, i'm playing more as a team than ever. a bonus point for squad leader when an enemy is killed within the area you've ordered to attack. A bonus point for killing an enemy within raidus of your squad, reviving one of your squad, damage assist, healing(is there a resupply bonus?). you also got the squad leader badge, gold is 600 squadleader succes points and 30 spawn on your spawn beacon in a round. then theres the squad beacon quiet possibly the greatest squadplay idea ever. Play squads properly or long enough and then give an opinion on it.

Couldn't have put it better myself, well said.

Points?

Maybe bigger?

POINTS?

So basically you play in a squad and as a team just to get points? Thats not team play for team plays sake. Thats team play for shiny new baubles.

14,891 players playing 2142 according to server spy as I type this. For a relatively new game? It wont even last the year.

Hey I'm not knocking you playing it, or saying yer wrong. What I seen of the game where people doing there own thing for their own agenda. Also any of the people that I know who where playing it have already given it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

I love Chip vans outside nightclubs ... such a great concept !!
    its like like jesus and his loads of loafs and fish thing !!

Points?

So basically you play in a squad and as a team just to get points? Thats not team play for team plays sake. Thats team play for shiny new baubles.

Points as oppose to honour or a pat on the back? Its an incentive, in BF2 or 1942 the vast majority did'nt give a f about teamplay, as with most games out there. DOD = kill, c-strike some teamplay but still alot of kill kill, WOW team up with guys to have a beeter chance aty areas with more exp points and level up quikcer.

Like you i'm not attacking, its just i'm sick of a thread being made and someone who's played it for a few hours or not at all come on and say its sh!te, because EA are bad. sure EA are possibliest the great shower of tnucs the gaming industry has ever had, FIFA being the greatest ripoff of all time, 3 games of pretty much the same last year. If 2142 was made by anyone else other than EA it would be hailed as the greatest ever(well maybe not, but it'd rated highly). It screwed 2142 from day one. 2142s huge fault is at the start its ridiculously unfair on the noob with the unlocks. after about 3 hours play, i'd pretty much decided screw this its rap. After some slagging and a bit of competition from my mates, i started again. As for the bugs i've s decent system just yet to experience them.

I think you've got the order wrong there hairy. Some people play to get points and to get them they have to play as part of the team, others play as part of a team and get more points as an added benefit.

I thought the unlocks were going to be seriously unfair as well (I started about a month after 2142 came out) but you get the first few unlocks quite quickly. From my own experience , as a sniper, I rarely used the camoflauge and the initial sniper rifles do me just fine so I was quickly on a level with the other players on the servers. By playing as part of a squad the field upgrades allowed me to try out unlocks before I earned them or to fill in spaces in the squad composition.

Back on topic:

Yes the booster pack is the sort of material you used to receive as part of a patch but since the BF2 community all flocked to the special forces and armoured assault I cant really blame EA for continuing the trend in 2142. I personally will be buying the booster as I like the thought of the new maps and the new unlocks look pretty nice. (shotgun rdx... if only they had a sniper version of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

It all comes down to whether or not you enjoy the game and if it works ok on your computer. The way I see it, all the battlefield games since 1942 have been enormous fun I've been playing computer games since the 80's so I've tried everything from shoot em up's to real time strategy over the past 20 years. I think they are pretty well made games (I realise there are bugs and EA should take a lot of blame for not patching the games a bit better)

For 50 euro if you even get 10 hours enjoyment out of it it is ok - how much entertainment will 5 Euro an hour buy you elsewhere these days? Seriously by honest - what is the price of a cinema ticket or a few DVD rentals?
    If EA charge to release a pack that people will buy and pay for then it is good business sense - I mean come on a lot of people seem to think EA "owe" them something forever once they buy the game.

Yes I take the point that that sort of stuff used to be given for free and probably still is elsewhere but as the consumer we have the choice to buy it or not and if it is €10 Euro and you get a few hours more enjoyment out of it then so be it. Valve are doing the same thing with Half Life - I've played that through a couple of times now and think I've had my money's worth - should I demand the other episodes be given free as well?

On another note I logged over 400 hours playing BF2 and overall looking back at it - in the end I was sick to my back teeth of all the team killing, vehicle stealing, no team work and instant death from the overpowered Aircraft and I am a good player. Since playing BF2142 there seems to be a much more friendlier attitude - whether it is from the lure of points or not I don't know and don't care as it means a nicer game alll round. The squad seem to actually work together.

It's all down to personal choice either play the game or don't and try to get along people we live such short lives after all (he says spending hours of it playing a video game:D)

Now I'm off to get another few points to unlock a new gun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I learnt my lesson after buying the booster packs for Battlefield 2, while I thought they were good, they are pretty worthless after about a month or two due to no one playing the damn things.

Tob e honest it will probably be the same with these, although the new map modes could give it longevity. I think it'll be more like SF in that well at least i got the unlocks.

• Advertisement

could be worse..... they could start charging monthly for access to ranked servers <please dont let EA read boards> :D

as bindybandy said, the enjoyment you get for 50 squids way outdoes movies etc. 10 for an expansion thats opntional? sounds fine by me.

Advertisement