Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinamore in Co. Leitrim

Options
  • 18-01-2007 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Is there much going on in Ballinamore, Co Leitrim at the moment? In terms of commercial investment or investment in the town generally?

Is there much demand for the renting of terraced houses in Ballinamore? Would it be easy to rent out a terraced house, or is there not much demand?

Also, has anyone heard if any of the major food retailers, such as Lidl, Aldi or Tesco, are considering building a store in Ballinamore in Co. Leitrim?

Any info would be of interest...thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hmmmm, what on EARTH prompted this interest one wonders .....and you are obviously not a local . Start with the preliminary census report on www.cso.ie to find out if the population is still dropping , a trait in Leitrim I have found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 _Paul_

I think you'll find the population of Co Leitrim is increasing, and has been for several years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Hmmmm, what on EARTH prompted this interest one wonders .....and you are obviously not a local . Start with the preliminary census report on www.cso.ie to find out if the population is still dropping , a trait in Leitrim I have found.

Well I am a local, I dont know where you are from but if you take a look at that very site you mentioned you will find that you are slightly misformed.

Now back to the OP's original question. I am a local and unfortunatly I dont think a tesco / lidl / aldi would bother their arse coming to ballinamore. Not enough throughput. Carrick on Shannon is where all the investment is now. However there is a moderate level of activity in and around the town, however most of it's in construction and however good your outlook is, I can safely say it cannot be sustained long term. TBH honest the biggest employer is the local hardware / Super Valu. Lads like me have to go to the big smoke to earn a wage. There used to be a textile factory in the town however it closed 10 odd years ago now. There has been talk in the past few months about a new hotel & car park for the town but that has fell on its arse due to planning issues. A civic area for the locals / visitors also fell on its arse due to objections from the locals! Both projects could be revisited, who knows. A bypass is on the plans however and in the last 2-3 years i would say the amount of shop units newly built trebled, you are looking at about 5-7 ball park. All of them are occupied with more on the way. House rental - about 500-600 pm for a good 3 bed house in the town, slightly less for houses outside the town. Broadband is available (the local exchange was enabled about 6 months ago) and a new enterprise centre opened up within the last year.

Now I think you are angling towards buying a house in the area ( cause I cant think of any other reason why would you choose Ballinamore, apart from the natural beauty of the area), maybe looking at section 23? TBH there is too many idle houses in the area as it is, no offence but if you are just buying a house for capital appreciation you are doing the local economy no good at all. However if you are coming to live, work and contribute to the local economy by all means you are more than welcome. (Controversial but its an honest opinion )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

its amazing people from ballinamore b*tching about their own town and then saying tesco won't come to ballinamore...

Amazing how wrong they can be because tesco is opening in Ballinamore in a month haha Wohoo!!!

:D:D:D:D

Advertisement