Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscail students here?

Options
  • 18-01-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Just wondering whether there is any Oscail students here? I'm currently doing Psychology one and interested in hearing from any others here? Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Hi Alan
    Shouldn't you be doing your essay instead of messing around !
    I'm doing HIS1 and Soc1 and really enjoying it. Glad the Spel stuff is finished, the first 8 weeks were hectic. What's Psychology like, is there much work involved.
    Jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Hi...yes I am doing my essay sporadicly...but not due until the 14th of February I think? either way 3 weeks and important to have some play as well as work! Interested in hearing from others outside the confines of moodle! psychology is a very long curriculum....but mostly interesting....and that's for me what matters most. How are you finding yours? Impressed by Oscail?. ]
    Best wishes, Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I'm happy with my choice of modules. There is a lot more involved in the History course but it's very interesting. Both tutors are excellent. My biggest complaint was because I was doing 2 introductory modules, I had to do SPEL for both, which is crazy. There was a lot of cutting and pasting! You should only have to do it once. It would turn me off doing another intro module. The mixed up instructions also drove me nuts. The forum telling you to do one thing and the workbook contradicting that. I think they would benefit from holding a half day course before the course starts, outlining everything from the beginning. That's all my moaning done for today.
    All in all I think it's a good set up and I'm glad I started.
    How about you, any complaints ? Did you get your port folio results yet?
    Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cathy drew

Filan wrote:
    Just wondering whether there is any Oscail students here? I'm currently doing Psychology one and interested in hearing from any others here? Alan
    Filan - As you know the Psychology course with OSCAIL is not recognised or accredited by the PSI and this prevents students (like me) who receive this degree from doing a Masters in Psychology with Trinity or UCD or taking up any position which requires PSI recognition.

Best of luck in your studies.

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Are they campaigning to change that? can they be acredited on a individual basis as is mentioned in the handbook somewhere or is this hot hair?...so has a Psychology degree with Oscail much value then cathy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cathy drew

Filan, Since the courses started Oscail have been "in talks" with the PSI about accreditation (approx 12 years) and still no accrediation. It is possible to be accredited by the British Psychological Society (if you completed 6 Psychology modules) but if you have a look at post graduate psychology courses offered by UCD and Trinity you will see that they only accept BPS accredited students if they have studied outside the state.

kind regards.

C

Advertisement