Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Midfielder of this Generation

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

wardie wrote:
    Redondo for an all round player for me. So much class and such a pity injury ruined his career.
    There's a nice little write up about him on wikipedia, here's a couple of extacts:
    It was during the 1999-2000 UEFA Champions League that he turned in his finest performances. His contribution to a 3-2 quarterfinals victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford will live long in the memory of Madrid and United fans alike. He was the best player of the game, and was the author of a spectacular play (the backheel of Old Trafford), in which Redondo backheeled the ball through the legs of defender Henning Berg before recovering it and assisting Raúl for Real Madrid's third goal. The performance is also of note because of the way another great midfielder of the 1990s, Roy Keane, was completely overshadowed by Redondo's display. After winning the final against Valencia CF, he was named the 1999-2000 UEFA Champions League Most Valuable Player. In 2000, Redondo transferred to Italian club AC Milan in a highly controversial move, which led to riots in Madrid. However, his stay at Milan was largely forgettable as a result of injury problems. Redondo was consistently injured during his first two seasons there, and refused to be paid his wages by the AC Milan board, showing great ethics and principles rarely seen in professional sports today.
    His scant appearances due to the disagreements or refusals to play for Bilardo, Passarella, and Bielsa in World Cup finals (especially in the 1998 FIFA World Cup) are a probable explanation of his little recognition when compared with other, arguably lesser, defensive midfielders of his era.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Redondo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hurrah, another thread.

Defender: Maldini
    Midfielder: Zidane
    Forward: Ronaldo

Goalkeeper is the only one that really needs some thought.
    Schmeichel, or if you class him as last generation, Buffon. Easy enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

GoalKeeper: Schmeichel
    Defender: Maldini
    Midfielder: Keane
    Forward: Van Basten (last 15 years Id give it to Henry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Zidane no contest. Greatest player I've seen play and I don't know if it'll ever be possible to top him in my eyes. The guy had everything. His balance and touch were exceptional and he led a France side with no recognised striker (well Stephane Guivarch) to victory in the World Cup on their own soil. Won everything else in the game too. Basically he is God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Keane to me, was the best in a midfield general /holding midfielder sense but you can't look pass Zidane for the ultimate creative midfielder.

Roy Keane in one sense cos I've seen him more times and his mental attitude and ability to control a game are, to me, the true essence of a midfielder.

However, Zidane really did it at the top level with a lot of class. I also secretly like the way he gave it to Materazzi.

Can I pick both :0)

So for me:

Forward: Van Basten
    Midfield: Keane or Zizou
    Defender: Maldini (just pips Baresi)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Paul Osam

Advertisement