Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research

Options
  • 18-01-2007 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

hope this is the right place.
    im doing a project on the develpment of the mind from conception up to aged 12.
    im factoring in things such as autism, downs etc
    just want to get some people who have experience with children who have learning difficulties. just to get their story on what its like etc...
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Lots of material here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

im looking for a first hand experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

From conception? Surely you mean birth? Otherwise you're opening a big can of worms there.

nope, mind development in the womb and onwards.... we're doing the whole life cycle... this is my bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Misticles wrote:
    nope, mind development in the womb and onwards.... we're doing the whole life cycle... this is my bit...

Ah, right. You do realise that a) by using the word 'mind' and b) by saying from conception you have premissed a pro-life position when phrasing your question? It might be worthwhile, in my honest opinion, to avoid this by rephrasing the question to discuss things from birth, that way you aren't assuming either a pro-life or pro-choice 'ethos' and avoid that whole mess.

Outside of that, what insight could a parent possibly give towards mind development prior to birth?

• Advertisement

i want their insight on dealing with children with learning difficulties, that have been born with them..
    im gonna stick with the mind development in the wombs as it intrigues me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Misticles wrote:
    i want their insight on dealing with children with learning difficulties, that have been born with them..
    im gonna stick with the mind development in the wombs as it intrigues me.

My daughter is aged 5, she has a communication problem which we are getting support from our local authority to overcome, language therapists etc. What was horrifying for us though was the huge machinery that is the Community Autism Team (CAT). When we first noticed speach difficulties it was taken up with our health authorities, who sent us firstly to the GPs to have her hearing checked over then, when that was shown to be fine, allocated us an Educational psychologist to look at my daughter's current language skills and what was needed to assist her 'catch up'. The Educational psycholgists studied my daughter over a two - three month period before diagnosing what her problems were and what the solutions to overcome those problems needed to be. During all of this we were referred to the CAT, we had one meeting with them, it lasted 20 minutes, they had no interaction with my daughter instead chatting away with my wife. At the end of this 20 minute consultation CAT announced 'yeah, she's probably autistic'. I, understandibly, was very angry that they arrived at such a daignosis after so little interaction and so little time, but was informed it was a hunch. I was disgusted with this attitude and had to fight long and hard to get my daughter out of the clutches of CAT and their labels. Thankfully we did, my daughter has been receiving language tuition for over 2 years now and will start 'proper school' in the summer. Our clinicians and psychological services have assured us there is no autism. Just to put this in its context, my concern was not that my daughter was labelled autistic but that she received the correct treatment and not become part of a machine based on a hunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Misticles wrote:
    hope this is the right place.
    im doing a project on the develpment of the mind from conception up to aged 12.
    im factoring in things such as autism, downs etc
    just want to get some people who have experience with children who have learning difficulties. just to get their story on what its like etc...
    thanks

This is NOT the right place. And particularly for the subject matter concerning vulnerable persons.
    Bonafied 'Research' projects undergo many stringent processes including a ethics panal before one has permission to even go ahead. This is to prevent any intrusion into peoples privacy and to prevent harm along with controling the necessity for the investigation.
    Perhaps Misticles is writing a novel for personal gain?

Advertisement