Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helping those on boards

Options
  • 18-01-2007 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

going unreged for this in case anybodt thinks i'm mad.

I think we should set up a fund for those people in the long term illness forum or those suffering from long term illness, like do something like the bone shakers calander, members post images of themselves and others pay to see them and the money goes to helping those who are ill and may need help paying hospital bills.

Trinity college did a topless nurses calander a few years ago.

Its not charity its good will there are those who can afford to pay hospital bills and there are those who can not.

Anyway just a suggestion
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm moving this as it's not a PI. I'm thinking the feedback forum. Mods please free to move if you have other ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Ya chicken...come out of your unregged hiding place. It's a noble and good idea. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Indeed, show yerself OP.:) Fine idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Nice idea.

Any inclusion of topless women (including myself), will be welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Unreg2007 wrote:
    Trinity college did a topless nurses calander a few years ago
    They did??? And I missed it?? First I've heard of that. Anyone know if this is true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Well lets see ... we have forums for every element of this we'll need, photography, graphics, marketing etc.

Excellent idea and I'll help in anyway I can, even posing topless ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

OP - I think it's a great idea. With the number of members that we have here we could definitely do something worthwhile - I know we have the SSF every year but maybe we could expand on that and start doing something more.

A calendar could be a good idea, but I'd see one immediate problem - would people want to buy a calendar with pictures of the users of an internet message board?! I know we're all an attractive bunch but, well, other people might not see it like that. On the other hand you'd probably get a lot of people on who use boards buying it...
    irlrobins wrote:
    They did??? And I missed it?? First I've heard of that. Anyone know if this is true?

AFAIR it was male nurses - but it didn't say that on the cover, so I'd say a fair few people who bought it were disappointed with what they got!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think its a slippery slope for any non-dedicated organisation that undertakes that sort of task. I'm sure there would be legal and tax implications for setting up such a fund.

Boards has one main charity drive that I can see - SSF, which works very well. I think focusing on something like that is a more realistic ambition.

I think there are initiatives that could work, such as a calander (for anyone brave enough to pose - I've a feeling there are more exhibitionists amond the male boards posters) or something more simple - I suggested ages ago that boards members collected Dublin Bus change tickets from boards users and cashed them in for the SFF or other children's hospital charities - but I'd think that setting up some sort of bursary would be a bridge too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

stargal wrote:
    On the other hand you'd probably get a lot of people on who use boards buying it...
    Do I really want De Vore starring at me across the room for a whole month.... :eek:
    stargal wrote:
    AFAIR it was male nurses - but it didn't say that on the cover,
    Ah! Very clever....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Let boards members vote who they'd want to see in the calander ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

6th wrote:
    Excellent idea and I'll help in anyway I can, even posing topless ;)

i'll pay for that not to happen :D

Maybe each month could be themed by a forum? Even if just Boards.ies bought it thats still great.

October could be for the Paranormal Forum (what with Halloween) but we might have to fight the Pagans for it (Samhain).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Nah, the metal forum gets October so we can all put on our corpsepaint and throw silly poses. Here's me and Karl Hungus from last Halloween:
    bm3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

stargal wrote:
    would people want to buy a calendar with pictures of the users of an internet message board?!
    Flicking through the Know Your Nerds thread, all I can say is no sale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I know a certain Cat Mod who's a dab hand at this calendar thing... ;)

TBH, I dunno if it'd sell. We can make a big assumption that we may hit similar donations to SSF in terms of money and numbers of people donating, but that's at Christmas time and people get all "I need to fill up my nice list for Santy" :)

I do have some experience running and organising large scale charity events, my opinion would be to have a big event/gig type thing. You can make obscene money on those sorts of nights (we took over £100,000 at 1 event I worked on), but you can't be wasting your money *paying* for things. The venue, the bar extension, the entertainment all *has* to be free or you're already wasting more than a grand of what should be going straight into a charity's coffers. Similarly for a calendar (or whatever), the photography, the printing, the distro all need to be free or you make no significant money for the effort involved (unless you're selling tens of thousands of the things and we won't unless we have a few A++ List celebs).

But, more importantly than any of this, Psi was right on the money (forgive the pun) with regards to the legal implications of having such a fund. You're talking about a massive amount of work to maintain that sort of thing, just ask DeVore about SSF - this thing is a major scale-up from that and would realistically require a full-time person employed to run it. That means dipping into the money to pay wages and then there's the stress of setting up boards ltd as an employer and having to do all of that (which I'm sure the lads aren't too interested in doing).

Another idea:
    We could pick a charity each year/6 months/whatever and have them do the grunt work (and most big charities employ people for this). Then the charities come to us - wouldn't you if you could get your hands on 75k people's money?

To the OP I commend you on your suggestion (don't be afraid to reveal yourself, even if you might be a direct recipient of such funds), I'm not sure I could think of a better cause than the one you have suggested and this is a thing that hits us all in some way or another. I here-by offer any and all assistance I can to whatever may come of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

An excellent idea and one I'd gladly help out in any way I could. I don't know Aidan, there's some lookers on the Know Your Nerds thread! Anywhoo, rather than give up quickly and look at particular negative aspects of this, what could be do to make this or some such event or project manageable and successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I like Kharn's idea about choosing a charity every say, 6 months, and doing something for them; even if it was just running a banner ad for them and asking boardsies to donate a couple of euro if they get a chance. Or what about giving €1 from every new subscriber straight to the charity? Would that be a decent amount or is that a stupid suggestion?

What about a table quiz? Not too much organising needed, plus if there's a raffle in the middle (with donated prizes) then you can make tonnes of money.

eo980 wrote:
    I don't know Aidan, there's some lookers on the Know Your Nerds thread!
    Oh so true. Lots of broken images now too though, damned Bebo people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Oh so true. Lots of broken images now too though, damned Bebo people.

The day I have a Bebo or MySpace account is the day ANYONE can beat me with a big stick. A very big stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    i'll pay for that not to happen :D
    Really? You'd pay money not to see this?

october6th.jpg

• Advertisement

I know I'd pay money to have it expunged now that I have seen it.

I feel ill...

Really? You'd pay money not to see this?

october6th.jpg

why is it that everything wrong with the world starts with you?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

MonkeyFudge banned for obscene pics

6th banned for being that pic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm sure there'd be a good few of us on the Photography forum willing to help.

Anything not to repeat the above pic :p

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

:eek: THE GOGGLES!! THEY DO NOTHING1!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Awwww - I remember when I thought about doing a calendar for boards.ie, just to raise money for it... I had Shinji and Whitewashman supply pics for it, along with Mills... this was some time ago admittedly...

Just to clarify ... thats not my body!

M01.jpg

6th wrote:
    Just to clarify ... thats not my body!

M01.jpg

that still doesnt help

You know it does ....

• Advertisement