Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helping those on boards

Options

Comments

I like the idea. And the Trinity topless nurses calendar was indeed male nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

http://www.lulu.com/products/calendars/index.php

http://www.qoop.com/photobooks/calendars.php

Two online publishers there that could be used. A few photographers, inc. myself were involved in getting a book done through Lulu, were very good. Otherwise, one could do it through someplace like Snap Design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Unreg2007 wrote:
    going unreged for this in case anybodt thinks i'm mad.

I think we should set up a fund for those people in the long term illness forum or those suffering from long term illness, like do something like the bone shakers calander, members post images of themselves and others pay to see them and the money goes to helping those who are ill and may need help paying hospital bills.

Trinity college did a topless nurses calander a few years ago.

Its not charity its good will there are those who can afford to pay hospital bills and there are those who can not.

Anyway just a suggestion

I think it's a fine idea, but in all honesty I'd be a bit uncomfortable tying it to the LTI forum - happily, most of us in there are not really in hardship, although there may well be some who just haven't revealed that. There is a lot of goodwill generated on boards, it'd be nice to channel it, but I'd prefer the idea of nominating a charity every six months or a year, or else establishing a general "boards hardship fund" that anyone on boards could make an application to - probably a nightmare logistically tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

One of those day-by-day calenders with the inspirational quotes could work. Except with inspirational quotes replaced with pighead quotes....not to suggest that they wouldn't be inspirational either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

One of those day-by-day calenders with the inspirational quotes could work. Except with inspirational quotes replaced with pighead quotes....not to suggest that they wouldn't be inspirational either.

-I propose we sell 3 versions

-The muppet version (which include quotes to laugh at or with, including stormfronters and other such golden shells)

-The Moderator version (wisdom from the pinacle of boardsie success the mods and admins)

-The Pighead version (tantilising bits of sexual innuendos from the man himself)

Also limited edition version available only to female boardsies a BlitzKrieg version which features my phone number on every page so they get the right idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    a BlitzKrieg version which features my phone number on every page so they get the right idea.

To report that person that keeps calling them late at night out of breath and sounding like they are punching bowl of mayonaise while moaning like a moose grinding against a cactus? :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is a really interesting idea. Its something I've actually been thinking about for quite some time now, but in a slightly different way (in fact the SSF came out of that idea crossed with Penny Arcade's charity drive).

I have to run but I will post on this later today and see if we can do something about it. I agree with the cautions here though, my eyes have been opened to the complexities of being nice in this world :)

But I do have a possible plan :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ohh Toms thinking about this.

You're in there lads. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Kharn wrote:
    I know a certain Cat Mod who's a dab hand at this calendar thing... ;)

aah, good old ms. July - i'd tackle her anyday :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

&#231 wrote: »
    aah, good old ms. July - i'd tackle her anyday :P
    I'm pretty sure it was September, wasn't it? ;) tbh, the whole calendar looked fab, so every month was a winner :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder if the anonymous OP works in the calendar trade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Max_Nash

A Good idea, calander or pay to view forum where members upload their own photos.

Images need to be classy not smutty like a p3 photo, if done right it would be a real money earner for members or charity.

For a start who's willing to particpate? Will it be "calender girl" type images or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There's already a thread on After Hours called 'know your nerds' where people post their own pics.

That's the issue really - if you have a boards calendar, it needs to be something other than boardsies on it, because how can you choose 12 appropriate people out of 70,000 registered users? Yeah, sure the admins will take up a few pages, but after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Have a poll where people can nominate and then vote for a model month by month. Will spark some interest plus if someone is a popular choice then theres more of a chance people will pay.

Get a short list of say 5 posters per month and then have a public vote where each voter pays €1 for the privilage of voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

how can you choose 12 appropriate people out of 70,000 registered users?

Honestly? If you can actually find 12 people I'd be surprised!

You could have a boardsie-a-day thing going on - with one of them getting the "month" slot.

a boardsie-a-day.....*shuddder*

I'd say there would be no problem getting 12 people ... as long as its for a good cause.

Now, I'm off to the gym ;)

psi wrote:
    Honestly? If you can actually find 12 people I'd be surprised!

If students can do it...

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1759823&issue_id=15150
    Learning curves Students strip for charity

TWELVE 'cheeky' students have decided to emulate Britain's 'Calendar Girls' to raise €5,000 for charity.

The University College Cork (UCC) students - six women and six men - posed nude for a new calendar, on sale next week as part of student Rag Week.

The 1,000 calendars will sell for €5 each and the proceeds raised will be divided between five designated charities - Cork Simon, Support An African Scholar, Make A Wish, Edel House and West Cork Co-Action.

The project was organised with the full knowledge and support of the UCC authorities, and co-ordinator Jenny Flynn stressed that all of the photos were taken in a very tasteful manner. Jenny, who posed herself for the calendar, stressed that there was huge support for the project. All the nude images are, like the Women's Institute calendar in Britain, discreetly photographed with "no bits showing". Student Laura Droog shows a sample, above.

The photos were all taken in various locations around the Cork college campus - and there was no shortage of volunteers for the 12 available slots.

The UCC students are now hoping that all 1,000 calendars sell - but if they prove a sell-out success, there are no plans as yet for a further print run.

That's really good work and fair play to them, but five grand is chicken feed. The charities ended up with a grand a piece (assuming equal spread of money earned). That's not even gonna pay someone's wages for a month.

A place this size should be realistically looking being able to raise the guts of €50,000 and I'm not joking. That's less than a Euro a member. You won't do this with a calendar of people from the internet, it just couldn't possibly work (but I loved to be proved wrong on these things :)). Trust me, big, all encompassing event is the way to go. Make it last all day, be suitable for families, national advertising all the trimmings. Now if you try to tell me that we don't have access to people who can make this sort of thing happen on this site, I'll kiss Sput! :)

10 years ago (maybe more). I helped run a Garden Party in Turlough House (what is now the National Museum of Country Life) outside Castlebar. It was for The Mayo Roscommon Hospice and The CAT Scan appeal for Castlebar General Hospital. We had a publican bring a full bar out, we had a 40 foot artic trailer with some bands (my own included :D) playing in it, we had silly games like guess the Dolls name, how many sweets in the jar, and a wheel of fortune, all that sort of good stuff that people will essentially enjoy wasting money on. We had a local comedian as MC going through the crowd with a radio mic talking to people and having the craic. There were teas and coffees and sandwiches available all day, the bar man took his costs and handed everything else into the bursary. There was a disco room inside the house to keep the younger people happy when they were bored. Everyone who came to it had a good day. We had done one the year before and the results were very promising and it was the talk of the town as to how fantastic a day it was, so the crowds were lined up and ready on the day. The final figure was around the 100K mark by the time everything was tallied up and further donations on the day were included. There are a lot of wealthy people who enjoy giving to good causes annonymously btw ;) It usually never less than a grand either!

All this said, I think the most important thing of note is the positivity everyone's put into this thread and whatever idea(s) may spawn from it, pats on the backs all round. I'm looking forward to hearing what DeVore thinks (that man's mind is an incredibly frightening thing - who know's what'll pop out ;)). I don't want to seem like I'm shooting down the calendar idea, I just can't in any part of my brain see the justification for or interest in such a thing *and* it making significant money for the workload involved (always demand stratospheric figures of yourselves and don't be afraid to be disappointed with only €30k :))

Again I say, whatever the outcome, I will throw as much help as I can at it.

I watched an Episode of the Green Wing last night and it made me think of this thread .... it had a slave auction in it!

Ask yourself:

How much would you pay to go for a meal with Beruthial? (Pighead come on!!)

How much would you pay for a night on the town with CoolSmileyGirl?

How much would you pay to go Bog Snorkling with Sjones?

You could maybe get someone to sponsor the prizes i.e. meal, cinema, bowling, etc.

It could be organised as a big event with the auction as the main focus of the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Myth wrote:
    If students can do it...

Ermm I think you mis-understood me.

I'm sure you'd find 12 people who'd pose.

Whether or not they are 12 people you would want to see in various states of undress, that is a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Ah cmon lads sure isnt there a place thats based in the usa, that you can buy stuff like T-shirts with boards.ie on it and mugs/caps.Why does it have to be usa based,why not in ireland...

I'm sure loads would buy stuff like that,and maybe some money could goto helping those on boads...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

mad m wrote:
    Ah cmon lads sure isnt there a place thats based in the usa, that you can buy stuff like T-shirts with boards.ie on it and mugs/caps.Why does it have to be usa based,why not in ireland...

I'm sure loads would buy stuff like that,and maybe some money could goto helping those on boads...
    That was cafepress.com

I don't know of any websites in Europe that offer a similar service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i am looking into making boards.ie eyepatches :D

That was cafepress.com

If memory serves, they actually shipped their stuff from Galway. I got a couple of the boards.ie shirts back in the day and the docket definitly said Galway, Ireland was the city/country of origin.

I must confess I think 6th's idea is top notch, but we've got to be wary of people's safety! Whilst there's a lot of us who do know each other personally, you don't want a potential stranger (or bubbles :D) taking you off to the mountains on a "date" ;) If things were worked out so that there'd be groups, then we'd be all clear. The great thing about a slave auction is, you can make it a part of any kind of event (even a regular beers ;)).

Kharns right ... my idea is great :P

Anyway it would be easy enough to do and if it was double dates then all the better for safety.

Seriously, imagine how much pighead would pay for Beruthial?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You're assuming Beruthiel would be seen with Pighead.

If I were organising a slave auction, I'd probably establish who'd make a good slave, then approach them first, then put them up for auction if they agree.

I wouldn't start a thread asking people to nominate themselves for sale - because you'll just get a bunch of non-sellers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

mad m wrote:

I dunno if I'd be interested in buying any merchandise, I mean...
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    i am looking into making boards.ie eyepatches :D
    ...forget it, I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

That was cafepress.com

Its a pity all the same..I would love a Jack sparrow boards eye patch!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

6th wrote:
    I watched an Episode of the Green Wing last night and it made me think of this thread .... it had a slave auction in it!

Ask yourself:

How much would you pay to go for a meal with Beruthial? (Pighead come on!!)

How much would you pay for a night on the town with CoolSmileyGirl?

How much would you pay to go Bog Snorkling with Sjones?

You could maybe get someone to sponsor the prizes i.e. meal, cinema, bowling, etc.

It could be organised as a big event with the auction as the main focus of the night?

not a bad idea at all

we could do a "babes of boards.ie" calander! i can think of at least half a dozen female posters that could easiely fit the requirements.

• Advertisement

we could do a "babes of boards.ie" calander! i can think of at least half a dozen female posters that could easiely fit the requirements.
    There are half a dozen female posters???? :eek: When did this happen???

Advertisement