Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphic card advice...

Options
  • 18-01-2007 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I've been gathering together a few parts to build a new computer. So far I have a gigabyte GAIPE775 pro motherboard, a 2.8 gig Celeron D processor, a 250 gig samsung 7200rpm hard drive, 2x512 pc3200 ram and 2x256 pc3200 ram (total 1.5 gig).

The advice I'm looking for is what graphics card to get for this system. Bearing in mind that the motherboard only takes agp. I'm looking to play fairly recent games on this system (especially far cry and quake 4).

The other consideration is that I dont have a very big budget either. I've been looking online and to be honest my head is feckin melted.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Price range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 d00mweaver

about a 100 to 150 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Cards in Dabs between 100 and 150, http://www.dabs.ie/productlist.aspx?&NavigationKey=11137&NavigationKey=377090000&NavigationKey=13&CategorySelectedId=11137&PageMode=1. I'd go X1600 pro or 7600GS. Not too sure on AGP anymore, others might have better ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That Celeron D is a weak point. It's roughly about the same as a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4, or a Athlon 2400+ in terms of playing games.

You'll get by, it'll be fine particularly for older titles like Far Cry but you might want to consider upgrading that too if you're going for recent titles, as much as you are considering a new card. Your ram is sufficent though.

Also, the 7600GS is better then the X1600pro.

A good card though within your budget would be either the 7600GS or 7600GT.

This isn't so bad either.

6800 Xtreme at 155

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Decided to buy the xfx 7600gt from dabs.ie. It seemed to beat all the other suggestions hands down and was only a little over my budget.

On another topic altogether do either of ye know if Sharkoon psu's are any good? Have seen a 450w in Peats for 50 euro.

• Advertisement

I know this is also off topic but seeing as you mentioned a processor upgrade Havok, would upgrading to a pentium 4 3.2mhz make a lot of difference??

Any idea of price??

Advertisement