Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Securing Wireless

• 18-01-2007 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭

Ok with Utv and got the BT Voyager2100 router and want to secure it

Tried This Page

The adapter is LAN 11g, IEEE 802..11g

In the encryption settings on the admin panel do I put in a 13 character alpa numeric password in Key 2 3 or 4?

Also when I do this then I have to configure my usb

Pics of this are below

Pic 1

Pic 2

What do I need to add here

any help much appreciated as bit lost on this

Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Unless you have a valid reason to use WEP (such as owning a PSP or DS that you want to get online, or WEP not available), use WPA. You'll only need to enter one alphanumeric key, and its more secure by far.

Anyway, if you only enter one key in the router, you'll only need to enter one key in the computer. If you create more than one key on the router, you should enter them all into the computer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks

Nah not gaming online just trying to secure it

To a complete novice on wireless security how do I set up WPA

Kinda like dummys guide to setting up WPA

Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use WPA-PSK for Home/Soho - check if both devices support it

choose either a 63 character passphrase or a 64 Hex phrase (or whatever both devices support)

cut/paste the phrase to save typing and typos - if paranoid zip the text file with a password

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

use WPA-PSK for Home/Soho - check if both devices support it

choose either a 63 character passphrase or a 64 Hex phrase (or whatever both devices support)

cut/paste the phrase to save typing and typos - if paranoid zip the text file with a password

sorry for been so ignorant but how and where can I do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

First try to get your router to talk to your usb wifi dongle without security. The pages that you have included in your first post do have all the answers that you need.
    As the security setup page is fairly straight forward, have a go at it a few times, you can always reset your settings if you mess it up.
    If you are unsuccessful the best option would be to find someone local to give you a hand as there are other factors to consider which could cause you problems (congested channels ect.).
    If you can only get your network to work without security, use it, don't freak about security, there are a lot of unsecured networks about. You can always find out if someone else is using your connection by checking the log page within your router, which is accessible from your router home page.

• Advertisement
Advertisement