Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Honours

Options
  • 18-01-2007 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Anyone else find that in the short space of time, theres so much stuff to do? I think its rather unfair that the course is quite detailed ,and the most detailed parts are worth the least amount of marks! Pressure eh?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Honestly I have very little complaints to make about the Irish course. Yes there's a lot of different sections but they're very straight forward. Like the poetry and prose for instance - talk about the styles the author/poet uses, how he presents his themes to us, know key vocab relating to each poem/prose and you'll be fine.
    Stair na teanga - easy, learn what you need to know.
    Reading comprehensions - doesn't get much more straightforward than this. Essay/short story - I have a short story prepared word for word that can be applied to absolutely anything
    Tape - admittedly the accents can be a balls some time but listen out for key words and you'll do fine

So yeah, piece of piss really. I'm banking on a B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

madgal wrote:
    I think its rather unfair that the course is quite detailed
    Have you seen the English course???

Comapared to that, Irish isn't very "detailed" at all...

It's only "rather unfair" because you're not bothered studying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Before I started it, the thought of the LC Irish course was terrifying. But, howevermany months into 5th year now it's actually grand. We've done all but one of the ordinary level poems, and 3 stories, so there's hardly anything left really, like, honours poems and the novel, so tis grand! Stair seems easy as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Novel's about as tough as it gets. Probably the most boring classes of any subject I've spent in that school. But I've no complaints about the course really.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Have you seen the English course???

Comapared to that, Irish isn't very "detailed" at all...

It's only "rather unfair" because you're not bothered studying it.

Personally I find Honours Irish much harder then Honours English.
    There is far too much on the course and it's really time consuming with the amount of stuff you have to learn off IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

L&#233 wrote: »
    Personally I find Honours Irish much harder then Honours English.
    There is far too much on the course and it's really time consuming with the amount of stuff you have to learn off IMO.
    What do you have to learn off besides Stair na Teanga? You can rote learn notes but you could do the same with English and it'd be even more time consuming.

There isn't far too much on the course. People complaining about certain subjects being too hard etc. annoy me(usually it's Irish and Maths people moan about). The fact is, if you find something very difficult it's not that the course is far too hard or long for Leaving Cert level, it's that you simply aren't good at the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I understand why a lot of people find HL Irish pretty daunting, but personally the only thing that bothers me is the poetry, and that's only because I find it boring.

Let's see:

Essays - Pretty easy compared to an English essay, lower standards and all that.

Poetry - IMO boring as hell but not exactly too difficult.

Aural - a joke, same stuff over and over, just need to listen carefully to the Dún na nGall accents :p

Oral - Go in, be confident, have a few things prepared and just go with it.

An Triail (Dunno what the rest of you are doing) - Not too bad, just remember themes, problems within the text, characters etc.

Edit: Forgot Stair na teanga, what's so difficult about writing a few sentences that you're most likely to know anyway, because they don't exactly vary them most years? I filled them all out in my exam papers, notes and that all over the place, wouldn't be able to quote them now but if I look back on them they'll stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Rozabeez wrote:
    I understand why a lot of people find HL Irish pretty daunting, but personally the only thing that bothers me is the poetry, and that's only because I find it boring.

Let's see:

Essays - Pretty easy compared to an English essay, lower standards and all that.

Poetry - IMO boring as hell but not exactly too difficult.

Aural - a joke, same stuff over and over, just need to listen carefully to the Dún na nGall accents :p

Oral - Go in, be confident, have a few things prepared and just go with it.

An Triail (Dunno what the rest of you are doing) - Not too bad, just remember themes, problems within the text, characters etc.

Edit: Forgot Stair na teanga, what's so difficult about writing a few sentences that you're most likely to know anyway, because they don't exactly vary them most years? I filled them all out in my exam papers, notes and that all over the place, wouldn't be able to quote them now but if I look back on them they'll stick.
    Depends on the Donegal accent. If you get a Gaoth Dobhair one, which 9/10 you do, god help you. Always either them or Gleann Cholm Cille.

And that's just different horses for different courses again. For example, I find the Connemara accent a nightmare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

L&#233 wrote: »
    There is far too much on the course

Our teacher in 4th year was out for all of 5th year, and we had a diabolical substitute who basically taught us nothing. Went into 6th year, and the proper teacher was back again. We've had to do the whole of the course this year, I mean absolutely everything. We've done all the stories and the poetry, and finished An Triail yesterday. And even though we crammed it all in, I'm still much more confident about that than Honours English.
    I don't think there's too much on the course really and with regards to the poetry, stories and An Triail, there's not a huge amount that you have to learn off. A basic understanding of them, and some good vocab and you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Judging by peoples reactions maybe it's just the way it's taught in my school then. As my Irish class gets reems and reems of stuff to learn off every night. Hmmmm. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

My class is a joke too, probably just depends on your personal interest in the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

the course looks much harder than it is.i can understand how paper 2 can seem very long and intimidating,but quite a lot of it wont be relevant and you wont have to answer it.
    the prose is fairly easy,the hardest is probably "Lig Sinn i gCathu" but thats because its rrambling with no plot..poetry is varied.you could get something simple like "Maigdileana" or "Dan do Mhelissa",yet you could also be crewed with "Uirchill An Chreagain" definetly the hardest poem imo.
    the hardest part of the irish exam,i think,is the essay.we have to learn them all off by heart,which is a bitch.plus our textbook "diograis nua" is useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

People think I'm on a moaner here, but I'm not. I understand but I think with just being given so much notes in the last few weeks and hardly anything the months before I feel as though its overwhelming or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Our Irish teacher never corrects any questions we do. She'll just ask if it was alright and moves on. Always late out of her class and she's always late coming to class [TY coordinator also].

Not great at motivating the class either. Never tests us on essays; just tells us that it's a lonely place the night before an exam and not knowing your essays. Sure, we do tests but never get results or feedback.

Don't know where you're going in the class really. I'm so tempted to ask to move to the other honours class.

Advertisement