Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding!

Options
  • 18-01-2007 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Hey i am trying to forward a port with my router and am having no luck. Have went through portforwarding.com a million times. I am doing everything it says but when i do i can no longer use the net. I am filling in the right DNS's as far as i know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Why are you changing anything got to do with DNS when portforwarding ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

sei046 wrote:
    Hey i am trying to forward a port with my router and am having no luck. Have went through portforwarding.com a million times. I am doing everything it says but when i do i can no longer use the net. I am filling in the right DNS's as far as i know
    As previous poster said, take one step back and count to ten.

First of all:
    1) Can you restore your settings to before tinkering with them? If yes, do so and report back. If not
    2) Pull out the documents from the ISP and configure your router back to default settings. If it is working good, if not
    3) Call in a technical friend to look at it (and as yourself why you decided to tinker with something like this in the first place!).
    If you answered yes to any of the above:
    4) Why do you want to port forward? Which program and what are you trying to resolve that currently don't work.
    5) What steps did you take in the router, your PC and firewall to make it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

A little off topic it know...but you sould like a guy in a technical call centre reading from a manual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

A little off topic it know...but you sould like a guy in a technical call centre reading from a manual!
    Whats that matter? Its good advice given that we don't know anything that the OP has actually done besides buggering his connection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've done my stint as technical support agent and taught it as well. There is a reason why it sounds like a call centre manual but it actually do work in 90% of the cases (Customers are generally ignorant on easy resolution and prefer calling the tech support instead of trying resolving it themselves, what can I say :p ).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sei046, please post the make and model of router your using otherwise nobody will have a clue what advise to give you regarding your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Whats that matter? Its good advice given that we don't know anything that the OP has actually done besides buggering his connection.

Where is your sense of humour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

he's prolly closing all he's ports if he's losing net access after tinkering around with it :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sleur wrote:
    he's prolly closing all he's ports if he's losing net access after tinkering around with it :)

I could be wrong but I don't see why he's reffering to DNS entrys if he's setting up port forwarding, could be why its not working :)

Advertisement