Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Gas Fire with Wood Pellet Stove

Options
  • 19-01-2007 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

hi all,

considering replacing my open gas fire with a wood pellet burning stove. SEI will provide €1100 of a grant. Was wondering if anybody has any experience with these stoves and could provide a ball park estimate of what they cost. Any info much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to Gardening/DIY where this subject has been discussed in great detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Clare_Man

Bought my pellet stove from Jedcoe in Galway with installation included at cost of Eur3000. SEI grant of Eur1100 followed 2 weeks later. Stove works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i am loking to put one of these in for space heating i've looked at a few in the shops but my problem is getting installers as you have to hae the thing signed off by an approved sei installer and most of the ones on the list for me in donegal just aren't interested. sei have just brought in a new rule that there has to be a flue gas analysis done but most of the guys dont have the kit.
    but the most helpul place i talked to was at www.ecostoves.ie, and http://www.solarenergyireland.com/ but you have to jump through so many hoops i havent even managed to get the grant application in.
    the deal with the installers is that they are trained on specific makes and there and round here thats ones that aren't on the approved list (wierd couple of shops were selling them before the grants) sothe one i want they havent worked on and the other problem is that they cant be bothered with a small job so they do boilers but not stoves. also dont forge your hearth has to meet the building regs for grant as well. its in Part J - Heat Producing Appliances found here http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvInfoView/A137E0322D60E09780256F5D00504A79?OpenDocument&Lang=en

dont know if this is adhered to but i was ripping out a room so thought i might as well follow it

hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lego_Man

smashey wrote:
    Moved to Gardening/DIY where this subject has been discussed in great detail.

wasn't planning on putting the stove in my garden or installing it myself. sorry!

thanks for replies folks. appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pat_man

For the guy in Donegal, Gordon Robinson of Donegal Heating & Plumbing 074 9722052 has all the kit including the unit for doing the vacuum settings in the stove / flue system and can sell you some good pellet space-heater stoves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Clare_Man

As I you know from my earlier post I recently bought a pellet stove form Jedcoe.com and the price of installation was bundled in the price. Yes, the Jedcoe installer had the instruments for setting the correct airflow and the SEI grant was processed fine. I am very happy with the stove and the installation work was quick. I phoned up Jedcoe and they delivered the stove and installed it the following Saturday, then I paid for it. I live in south County Clare and the installer was of to Kerry after leaving me. I take it they deliver nation wide.

In the period before I bought the pellet stove from Jedcoe I did a little research and I would not recommend buying any pellet stove that is not SEI approved as these SEI approved stoves have been vetted so they have a CE mark, meet a European standard and operate above some level of efficiency (can’t remember exact level). Not all pellet stoves sold in Ireland meet these standards, thus the reason they are not on the SEI list.

Pat_man wrote:
    For the guy in Donegal, Gordon Robinson of Donegal Heating & Plumbing 074 9722052 has all the kit including the unit for doing the vacuum settings in the stove / flue system and can sell you some good pellet space-heater stoves.
    do you know if you can put him down as the installer on the application form ? i didnt think they did any installations. i've looked at their stoves but i've found them very expensive compared to anywhere else in the area so i'm loathe to give them any business.
    but thanks for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pat_man

These are Gordon Robinson details 074-9722160 / 087-7604214 from the SEI list. He's got the kit, is based in your area. Please write back and let us know if he or another SEI approved installer is willing to do a little work in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,140 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Pat_man wrote:
    Please write back and let us know if he or another SEI approved installer is willing to do a little work in Donegal.
    Why - are you looking for agents?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I was considering getting a wood-pellet stove for the living room (to heat most of the downstairs of the house) The issue that has put me off is one of noise from the stove. With two fans going at times, they can produce a fair old whir! Could see the TV being turned well up to block it out...

I still haven't purchased yet, but when I do it will probably be a traditional wood burner.

My 2 cents!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Pat_man wrote:
    These are Gordon Robinson details 074-9722160 / 087-7604214 from the SEI list. He's got the kit, is based in your area. Please write back and let us know if he or another SEI approved installer is willing to do a little work in Donegal.
    sorryi forgot i did talk to him and he was prepared to commision the stove but didnt want to fit air pipes through the wall or sort out a fitting to the chimmney etc
    i was just looking at the list of installers and remerbed i had spoken to him (not suprising considering i rung ever local no.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lego_Man

hi all,

after some more investigation I have decided to replace the gas fire with a traditional solid fuel stove. I have seen a few wood pellet stoves in operation and to be honest I was disapointed with the heat it was throwing out and the noise the fans were making. I also hadnt realised they need an electricity supply to work. Stanley have a 6KW stove on sale at the moment for €499 and having seen this in operation I was impressed with the heat output. Its a nice tidy little stove ideal for the job i require.

Thanks for replies,

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ballabooyeah

Hey,

Where did you see the stanley boiler for €499?

I am about to spend 2k - Please let me know.

Advertisement