Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startech

Options
  • 19-01-2007 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever used Startech products. I bought a 'universal' VGA fan that supports a huge range of Nvidia and Ati cards, including or at least supposedly including the 9600Pro I bought it for.

Tried fitting it onto the card and its hopeless - when you line it up with the holes its half over a bunch of capacitors so basically there's not a hope of it fitting. So angry with this. Opted for this over a Zalman as its cheaper and its only a 9600Pro after all. Will keep away from Startech in future....just wondering anyone any experience with them...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Never heard of them till now I know there is a Startech store in the USA but that's about it.

Does your 9600 Pro follow the reference design ?

As if it did not that may explain why it does not work with the components in a different location the cooler may have been intended for cards that followed the template of the ATI 9600 Pro card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Believe it or not I brought it back, and opted for another Startech variant, because i honestly am desperate at this stage.

Got it home and....unlike the last one, which at least has the right mounts but was too big to fit, this one was the exact same size as the original fan, but mounting holes were solely nvidia ones despite the packet saying Ati/Nvidia compatiability and listing the 9600Pro!

Heres a picture of the problem on the 9600Pro - the startech fan is too big to fit, and is bigger all around then the original fan which just squeezes in (my 9600pro is an ati card by the way, this is an image of another I found that has the same mounts and layout)

So to anyone, please, please avoid startech like the plague. Going to have to just go in tomorrow and take the Zalman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Disregard that image of the 9600Pro - thats part of the fan I highlighted, not part of the card which I thought it was. If my card was like the above, it'd be fine. But it's not, its an original ati board and it has a bunch of capacitors right beside the fan. :mad:

Nothing other then the small original Ati fan will fit - has anybody ever encountered this and where the feck will I get a spare fan to fit? It means any half decent fan like a Zalman is out the window...

thanks

Advertisement