Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecdl?

Options
  • 19-01-2007 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

I know this may sound trivial but do you actually need one of these?

I know the likes of people who work in like an office environment where their range of work just scales from word processing to spreedsheets will need one.

But as I'm currently in college doing computer science, will it be looked down upon when I go looking for a job after I graduate that I don't have the ECDL?

Where is the best place to sit these exams as i'm pretty confident I would pass them straight away (my brother has and he hasn't a clue). I'd rather go do it now I suppose than trying to do it in 4th year.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Nope, I know of zero engineers that have such a qualification. That's not saying you shouldn't do it, every bit helps.

What area are you looking to work in Cremo? If i's the networking side i'd go CCNA and MSP in XP/Visa and 2003 server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The only reason I have an ECDL at all is because we were doing it as our "computer course" in secondary school. If you come out of college with any kind of certification at all it will be pretty much assumed that you know the basics, which is all the ECDL is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Cremo wrote:
    But as I'm currently in college doing computer science, will it be looked down upon when I go looking for a job after I graduate that I don't have the ECDL?

As somebody who teaches ECDL, I can assure they won't. Your college qualification will far outshine an ECDL qualification.
    Cremo wrote:
    Where is the best place to sit these exams as i'm pretty confident I would pass them straight away (my brother has and he hasn't a clue).

Everywhere and anywhere. Look for secondary schools in your area that teach the course, they may allow you to just sit the exams. I sat them without sitting the course and flew threw them.

The only thing is, do you really have €250 to throw away like that? That's how much it cost me to just do the exams. I personally think it is a waste of money for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well i only asked where's the best place to sit them if i needed to. i was just unsure would employers look for the ecdl.

i ain't going to sit the exams if i don't need to and since i'm still a student i don't have €250 for the exams.

thanks for the replies guys.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The ecdl is geared more towards admin(non tech) staff,teaching them how to use work,excel etc rather then for tech stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement