Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Cigarettes question.

• 19-01-2007 2:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Quick question.

I did a search but couldn't find the answer.

You know those boxes of chocolate cigarettes you can buy in sweet shops, can you eat the paper or not?

I've always unwrapped the but am worried that if it is "eating paper" I'm missing out on the full experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Haha...I knew that was going to be the question when I saw the thread title. Course you can eat the paper. Unfortunately I mean this in the same sense that you can eat the paper of the books in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Which is, of course, a perfectly legitimate and delicious sense :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

So it is paper paper then?

I was hoping it was like the giant pink & yellow etc. banknotes you could buy.

Damn I'll have to find another way to look cool at the disco :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

When I was young i ate the paper then threw it up 20 mins later. Defiantly not for eating :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Used to think you could eat it but it didn't dissolve on your tongue like the bank note stuff does. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm pretty sure now you're not supposed to eat it, but as kids, you'd nearly eat anything.
    I saw my 9 yr old cousin chug down a packet of them the other day. He assured me the paper was edible, but I'm not quite sure...

The chocolate in them is naff though. Doesn't even taste like choccy. It's like some kind of rough paste. I guess kids buy it coz it's called chocolate. If only they called spinach and broccoli 'chocolate vegetable', Mothers across the land would be in heaven...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Can anybody remember the different 'brands' of em? My local shop no longer sells them but I remember when I was younger asking for them by names like 'Everest' and my sister asking for 'Old Toad' thinking we were so cool *cringe*.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think there was Camels. I remember noticing them a few years ago, when I'd grown up and started smoking real Camel cigarettes. Then there was one in a light blue pack, but I can't remember what it was called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

it doesnt matter now anyway, they're illegal in ireland since the last piece of smoking legislation was passed, and no i'm not joking.

griffdaddy wrote:
    it doesnt matter now anyway, they're illegal in ireland since the last piece of smoking legislation was passed, and no i'm not joking.

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This may be the relevent link.
    It's quite wordy so use edit>search on this page to look for the word "confectionery"

Hagar wrote:
    This may be the relevent link.
    It's quite wordy so use edit>search on this page to look for the word "confectionery"

Cheers, Hagar. I googled, but only found references to Spain and Holland.

That's crazy though. I know I ate chocolate cigarettes, and later started smoking, but I wouldn't have said they influenced me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You're welcome. I googled for "cigarette confectionery ban" and selected Ireland on the radio button below the search box.

it was in all the papers including all broadsheets. it came in with the law to ban 10 packs of real smokes. dont really know how to use unison or anything?

Faith wrote:
    but only found references to Spain and Holland.
    please tell me they're banned in Holland, that would be irony on a truly epic scale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Is this thread from the 1980's or what? I haven't seen a choccy ciggy since that decade I believed they were banned long ago for obvious reasons. My brand at the time though were the ones that came with that fine sugary powder which you could puff on to make real looking smoke and look cool. Hmmmm, they were definately banned.
    Oh yeah and the paper was as edible as eating the corners of your copybook in school out of boredom. It was all a matter of taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

no, dont eat the paper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Ah the ultimate question!

on an aside, I loved those banknotes mmmmmmm

The candy sticks were nicer. And you got a free football card.

Advertisement