Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio and Video

Options
  • 19-01-2007 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Anybody have any suggestions for programs that are good for both audio recording/mixing/video/filmscoring???? for less than a grand maybe???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

restin84 wrote:
    Anybody have any suggestions for programs that are good for both audio recording/mixing/video/filmscoring???? for less than a grand maybe???

Steinbergs Nuendo...it'll probably cost you more than a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Sonar will do it for ya, its around 500 euros but its an amazing sequencer . Its got firewire video import and supports pretty much all video codecs mpeg, avi, quicktime etc...

http://www.cakewalk.com/sonar/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cubase or Logic will also do the trick, assuming you're not talking about actually editing the video itself. Nuendo would be the business alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Carrigsound

I don't know if this is obvious but, you will need a video capture card aswell.

Cheers

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 restin84

NO ITS DEFINATLY NOT OBVIOUS. WHATS A FILM CAPTURE CARD???? CURRENTLY i'M JUST LEARNING THE AUDIO SIDE OF THINGS BUT I WANT A PROGRAM THAT I COULD USE WITH VIDEO ALSO. DOES FILM SCORING INVOLVE FILM EDITING????HOW IS DIGITAL PERFORMER 5??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

loud in 'ere init

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Christ, no need to shout!

You will need a video capture card if your work involves any video production or editing but if you are just composing music to an AVI or MOV file then you won't. There's an Audio / Video Editing forum under the Arts menu, they might know more about the video side of things in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I'm I right in thinking that what you're interested in is putting music to film? If that is the case then a video capture card (the video equivelant of a sound card) might not be essential as many projects would be delivered on disc and you would just import them into your program. There are many programs out there that can handle this. I use cubase and while I haven't used it's video functions that are said to be quite good. It certainly could hadnle everything else very well.
    Does film scoring involve film editing? The straight answer is no. Although I have heard of very rare incidents where directors like Tarantino have written a scene with a song in mind and then cut the scene to match the song. Although technically that isn't actually scoring and is more musical direction.

PS Watch the cap lock!! We're sound engineers and don't like people shouting at us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Most of us are part deaf as it is! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

mike65 wrote:
    Most of us are part deaf as it is! :D

Mike.

I always get a smile from your posts, that post count is mind boggling!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Could be worse, could be Victor (damn, another one bites the dust! :o )

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Carrigsound

restin84 wrote:
    NO ITS DEFINATLY NOT OBVIOUS. WHATS A FILM CAPTURE CARD???? CURRENTLY i'M JUST LEARNING THE AUDIO SIDE OF THINGS BUT I WANT A PROGRAM THAT I COULD USE WITH VIDEO ALSO. DOES FILM SCORING INVOLVE FILM EDITING????HOW IS DIGITAL PERFORMER 5??????

Sound Engineering, Film Scoring, Video Editing.

All of the above are totally different disciplines, any one of which takes years
    to master. By the time you learn one of these the software and hardware
    involved will have totally changed which makes your original question irrevelvant.

Now stop getting so excited, ya don't want to fall out your cot now do ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Just did my second sound effects story assessment,sync'd sound to a video of an old honda accord ad on logic express 7,very easy to do!

Advertisement